Which Kit? Suggestions

Well, I'm getting closer to my GT 40 Commitment. I've pretty much decided on a R/H drive Mk I with the twin hood intakes (as opposed to the single). I live in the U.S. (South Carolina - Buckle of the Bible Belt, to be exact) and I think I'd like something as close to home as possible. I don't want to have to pay several thousnad dollars to have it shipped to me. Finally, I think there is a kit in which the roof section is part of the frame as opposed to a molded peice. I'm interested in that. With what I've told you, does anyone have any suggestions. Mind you, I'm only interested in purchasing a body and chasis first, not the whole "Rolling Chasis".
ANY suggestion, positive or negative is greatly appreciated. Please steer me in the right direction. I'm easily steerable.
Thanks

I am in Greenville SC. I have not heard of a car that has the roof as part of the frame. The SPF uses a steel pressed roof and most others use a fiberglass roof. I have had both and could not tell the difference. I do not know of any kits made near our area. Your best bet would probably be an RCR, CAV kit or Tornado kit.

Well, I'm getting closer to my GT 40 Commitment. I've pretty much decided on a R/H drive Mk I with the twin hood intakes (as opposed to the single). I live in the U.S. (South Carolina - Buckle of the Bible Belt, to be exact) and I think I'd like something as close to home as possible. I don't want to have to pay several thousnad dollars to have it shipped to me. Finally, I think there is a kit in which the roof section is part of the frame as opposed to a molded peice. I'm interested in that. With what I've told you, does anyone have any suggestions. Mind you, I'm only interested in purchasing a body and chasis first, not the whole "Rolling Chasis".
ANY suggestion, positive or negative is greatly appreciated. Please steer me in the right direction. I'm easily steerable.
Thanks

If you want a local manufacturer your options are significantly narrow. GTReproductions, ERA and RCR. Of those, only ERA has a chassis with a permanently attached spider/roof section, but
ERA will not sell you just a chassis and body.

SPF and Autofutura/CAV are manufactured overseas in South Africa, but the shipping
costs are built into the price. However, neither will sell you just the chassis and body
as far as I know. Gelscoe, Mirage, and Gox may fit the bill as well, but again, those
are all overseas.

Ian

CAV US is in Raleigh NC and we do offer the CAV GT in component kits and turnkey minus cars. We keep stock of component cars and will sell a body and chassis package.
Our stainless steel chassis comes with all holes/openings CNC laser cut and punched with a pre-fitted, pre-finished and primed body with all openings cut.

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCF0231.JPG
    DSCF0231.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 395
I'm going through the same motions as the original poster, minus I am much much farther away from the purchase date, ha.

Johann, I have friends in Raleigh and frequent the area quite often. Is it possible to drop by chat and take a look around sometime? EDIT I think I just realized that you may be just a distributor?

Mark, if you're only buying a bare chassis and a body then be prepared for a s-load of work to get to an operational vehicle. And, I mean a real big s-load. Like, a truck full. You could work on the car full time for almost a year, and spend another $30-40K at least before having something you could take for a drive down the street.... Good for retired guys with mechanical engineering backgrounds....

I don't mean to rain on the parade however!

Mike,

Please feel free to come and visit our workshop at any time. We always have interesting cars and projects going. I have a CAV GT demonstrator in stock and can take you for a "spin", :thumbsup: if you are interested. You can also have a look at the CAV GT component kits.

CAV US is in Raleigh NC and we do offer the CAV GT in component kits and turnkey minus cars. We keep stock of component cars and will sell a body and chassis package.
Our stainless steel chassis comes with all holes/openings CNC laser cut and punched with a pre-fitted, pre-finished and primed body with all openings cut.
Hey Johan,
Can you give me an idea what your price is for just the body shell and chassis?
Thanks

Mark,
Why not wait until you can buy a rolling chassis and make life a lot easier. Don't do like I did when I jumped into buying a Ferrari then getting into a whole lot of trouble later (could afford the car, but nothing else that it needed). Cliff is right and you could be looking at a lot of money doing it your way. I could get a GT40 now, but it would not be built the way I want it so I will wait the two + years. Good luck

Last edited:
Mike,

Please feel free to come and visit our workshop at any time. We always have interesting cars and projects going. I have a CAV GT demonstrator in stock and can take you for a "spin", :thumbsup: if you are interested. You can also have a look at the CAV GT component kits.

I would love to do that, I'll get back in touch with you when I have plans to be in town. Thanks!

kd4tsc,
Sorry for the off shoot. Back up top for ya;)

Hi.
I notice that Gelscoe Motorsport now produce a Mirage GT40 in conjuction with GTC MIRAGE in the States.... now that would be a eye opener ?

God knows the cost ?... might be worth it.

Man - I had the same problem. I also wanted a car that wasn't from out of the country and not far away (Out of the country). I still ended up purchasing a car from all of the way across the country even though I could have gotten a replica from several places closer to home. In fact the Superformance that has the roof you want can be purchased from several places here in the USA. You can probably get a fairly good deal without the wait right now, I have seen some real good deals out there that I would have considered had I not already committed to a car. If you have a certain color and way you want your car to look then the way I did it is the best way to go. I am dealing with RCR and they are designing the RCR40 to be my own personalized car at a competitive price which is why I went with them. It doesn't hurt that they make a great product too.

The CAV chassis in the above picture is fantastic looking. Any more shots? A Link to the CAV component site listing options and costs?

Thank you

Will Parker

Back