The CAV

My wife an I drove up to Raleigh this weekend to look at a CAV GT40. We spent the night there friday night and got up saturday morning and drove over to CAV America, where we were met by Johann. He took us into the building where the GT40 was living. As we entered the sacred room where the GT40 sat, on my left was a Maserati Bora and to my right was an Aston Martin. Over from the Aston was a 308 GT. Normally, those cars would've created a rise in my blood preasure, but remakably, this time, they had no effect on me for behold; in front of me was the most beautiful piece of artwork my eyes had ever beheld: The CAV GT40 in Gulf Livrey. My mouth dropped, heart skipped a few beats, and I had to catch my breath. She was Beautiful! As I walked around her, Johann pointed out all of the particulars. He opened the "bonnet" and "boot" and indicated certain items wich differintiated the CAV from some of the others. Satinless steel chasis. Real glass vs plexiglass. Thick fibreglass, (not like what is found on Lotus, Corvette, etc...). This fibreglass seemed to me stronger than the metal being used on production cars. Beautifly laid. The welding had the appearance it was done by arisans, rather than welders. Suspension like I've never seen. And the interior: WOW!. Leather. I couldn't tell that the interior was from a handmade car. It looked as if something found in production cars. It was that well tailored. Roomy. It was easier to sit in and get in and out of than my Europa. Johann started her up for me and we took a spin. For anyone whos ever been in a GT40, need I say more. The car felt flawless. Johann was even nice enough to give my wife a ride. Well, I could go on forever. Authenticity? Matters not. After riding in the CAV, that doesn't matter. I see now why I don't want an exact copy of a '60s GT40. This supports the information I've received from this forum. My mind is made up now. I want a CAV GT40. That's it! I also would like to mention that Johann was a most gracious host. I don't think you could find anyone more helpful than he. His knowledge about GT40 is remarkable. I feel that when I purchase the GT40, that if I have any questions, he'd be more than happy to help out. That matters! If anyone is considering the purchase of a GT40, may I suggest CAV. If you have any questions, Johann is the man. I, myself, can vouch for the CAV. A CAV GT40 is now my #1 goal. Pictures to follow (if I can figure out how to do that).
Thanks Johann!!!

Mark328GTS,

The BDRGT's are CAV GT's bought by Backdraft Racing from CAV (Auto Futura) in Cape Town, South Africa. They were re badged as BDRGT's.

Mark, great to hear you will become a CAV family member. I agree with your comments regarding Johann. As I've said in many of my posts....he's always willing to provide information no matter the issue. I hope to meet with him in a few weeks. I take it you will buy a Gulf Liveried Car or will you chose a different color combination? Also what did your wife think of her ride. Did Johann give her the full treatment or was it a nice sedate jaunt through the neighborhood. I've yet to have a female in mine. Not from a lack of trying but most are scared to death once hearing the thing and secondly they certainly won't get in if they are wearing a dress or skirt. I wonder why that is........

Mark, incidentally, John and Jean in South Africa are also very gracious and helpful with questions. Between the SA folks and Johann, you're in good hands!

I also love my CAV - great car. Very high level of engineering and fit/finish. And, about as comfortable/user friendly as a GT40 can be. There are lots of really great manufacturers of GT40 replicas out there - SPF and RCR are notable standouts as well as CAV. I really appreciate the craftsmanship of the CAV team - as you noticed, for example, the welding on the stainless chassis is exquisit.

Good luck in finding your CAV and enjoy!

My wife loved it, which may aid in me being able to purchase one. That's why I asked Johann if he'd give her a ride (LMAO:laugh:). I do really like the Gulf theme, but my wife (and I agree) that we may go with a silver grey with red interior.
After that, I'll decide on super charger or twin turbos (like the Esprit).
Yeah, right. No; the Webers on Johanns were just fine. To me, his car was perfect! The car really looked like it could've come from Detroit. It was that well made. No "kitness" to it.

Mark, I finally got my CAV back on the road last week with the new motor, but I have not let it really run fast yet. You may well see it out and about in the Greenville area as I drive it to work quite often.

bb_3.jpg

Johann is the person you need to deal with. He serviced mine and corrected the Malalignment of the tail. We are so fuirtunate to have him here in NC.
I took mine out this weekend and every time I go for a drive it seems to run better. I only have about two thousand miles, at most, at present.
Mine is of the old manufacture and the new ones have made substantial improvements. We also have the Olthoff's in Mooresville so we are in Gt 40 heaven in NC.
Mort

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mark -

I'm happy for you that your decision is made and you're off...

Collecting all the data and sampling all the available cars is sometimes a daunting task - particularly in the end when all information is properly weighed..

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Mark, great to hear you will become a CAV family member. I agree with your comments regarding Johann. As I've said in many of my posts....he's always willing to provide information no matter the issue. I hope to meet with him in a few weeks. I take it you will buy a Gulf Liveried Car or will you chose a different color combination? Also what did your wife think of her ride. Did Johann give her the full treatment or was it a nice sedate jaunt through the neighborhood. I've yet to have a female in mine. Not from a lack of trying but most are scared to death once hearing the thing and secondly they certainly won't get in if they are wearing a dress or skirt. I wonder why that is........

I have had two females in mine so far, and while I can say it isn't easy, it was possible. Then again I am 5' 8" and weigh about 175.......

Gordy, does that pic look familiar? I put a new 347 with a dyno of 473hp, upgraded the sound insulation, new shifter mechanism ect.. it is a rocket now.

Back