Mk1 Profile Drawings

Happy New Year everybody.
I am having an accurate side profile drawing made of my Mk1 GTD by a professional artist and illustrator.
However, despite having been sent numerous side photos of the car, he's having difficulty getting the shape to look right.
Does anyone have any accurate side drawings that could be used as a starting point?
Please reply to my e-mail address
Thanks,
Tony

We use these type for our decal installation guides - not 100% accurate but could be tweaked...

Can email you a better file.

Chris

Attachments

• GT40 Mk I.jpg
    GT40 Mk I.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,971

Keith

I am having an accurate side profile drawing made of my Mk1 GTD by a professional artist and illustrator.

However, despite having been sent numerous side photos of the car, he's having difficulty getting the shape to look right.

Eh? :huh:

Thanks,
Tony

Tony, depends on whether you require an 'as seen' scale drawing or a profile from which to make parts from. When you try to 'draw' a profile from a photo, the photo should be taken from as far away as possible, @ the same elevation & 'square on' to the object and preferably against a contrasting background to give clear definition. Even then you will get some isometric projection that will distort your drawing... take for example the tire position in the wheel arches if you were to take one photo from a position at mid wheelbase... if the tires are slightly recessed in the wheel arch the photo will give the illusion that the front is set slightly rearward in its arch & the rear set forward in its arch.
Now if you were to roll the car back & forward @ 1ft intervals & take say a dozen photos with the camera locked in the one position then cut the middle section out of each pic, then set all of these out in the correct sequence you will be much closer to the 'correct' profile. But even this will not be as your eyes 'see' it... remember the camera has one eye...you have two!

Jac Mac,
Your comments on perspective are very apposite, and will certainly make a difference. However, the problems we are having relate more to the look of the car and how it will appear on the wall.

Curtis,
Thanks for your trouble; I already have that picture.

Chris,
Would you please e-mail me the larger version of the pic you posted?

Tony

Many thanks to Bill Hough, who has mailed me a beautiful, accurate, large scale side view. It'll go off to the artist first thing in the morning.
The only thing I'm not happy with is that he won't accept payment.
Many thanks also to everyone else who responded.

Well, the picture is finished and arrived yesterday.
Here's a photo of it.

Final 4 1.jpg

Many thanks to everyone who assisted - in particular Bill Hough, Bud Jones, Curtis and Chris Martino. If I've forgotten anyone else, please accept my apologies.
Now, off to the framer! The picture will hang on the wall next to 'my' Canberra, which the same artist painted 38 years ago.
Tony

Back