Phil Ware Gt40

Hi Guys, i am looking at buying a GT40 it is a Phil Ware car from New Zealand, is there any info on these kits as i can't find any.
If anyone knows some info it would be appreciated as i am keen to buy this car.
Thanks Keith.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Keith,

GT40NZ is now defunct. The company was sold to some people in the US and subsequently dissolved. The chassis is a variant of KVA/GTD. I'm not sure what the total production was but I believe less than 100. Overall, the car is well engineered and quality is good. Most parts can be sourced from other vendors if you run into any issues. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions. PM if you like.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
What info do you need?

It's a kit! As Neal said, similar to others produced at the time. The chassis is very solid, front uprights etc are Holden HQ, usually set up for a Renault trans (these are a good option provided you drive it sensibly), the body is average. The end result is more a function of the dedication of the builder than the origins of the kit.

The figure that is often bandied around for GT40NZ production is 34. It is my impression that probably half of them are still languishing in sheds around NZ currently uncompleted. There are several in the States, Kevin owns one in Oz and is a very helpful fellow, and as well as him and Neal, there are several other GT40NZ owners on this site. Steve (sp250), also on this site, at one stage worked for Dave Harvey the owner of GT40NZ after Phil Ware.

So if you do pull the trigger on this one you should have no problems, this site is a great resource and there is not much GT40 related info that is not available in the archives or for GT40NZ specifics directly from guys like Kevin, Neal or Steve.

Good luck with it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys i wasn't sure if it was a well engineered kit, or if it worth the
money as they are no longer available. Happy that some guys still own them as i can ask for help while completing the project.
Cheers Keith

Kevin Box

Supporter
As Russ said
I will help as much as I can
How complete is the kit ????
The kit is well thought out structurally and stronger than the KVA/GTD tortionally.
The fibreglass finish on the earlier ones was not flash but just means you spend a bit more time on the finishing.

regards

Kevin B
0400 222 063

As Russ said
I will help as much as I can
How complete is the kit ????
The kit is well thought out structurally and stronger than the KVA/GTD tortionally.
The fibreglass finish on the earlier ones was not flash but just means you spend a bit more time on the finishing.

regards

Kevin B
0400 222 063
Hi Kevin, the car needs motor, head lights ,wipers,carpet, doortrims,door glass(plastic) body needs alligning & paint.

Kevin Box

Supporter
Keith

As for motor - compliance is already available for AU series 5,0 , 5.6 and all the OHCs from BA onward.

If I was starting again I would go as later 5.4 OHC as I can afford and use factory brain. It has enough grunt and is very well mannered. DRB, RCR and RF all are using them for that reason and there is plenty of adaptor kits avilable to G50 if that is the way you want to go.
Also in SA it means you skip the emissions test if all the original bits are used.

As it happened I have engine sorted already so have to do it the hard way!!!

Lights etc I am about to do so will let you know as this happens.
As for the side / rear windows probably talk nicely to one of the other kit suppliers and you should be able to pick this up. Failing that we could get mine copied

If you need any fibre glass then i suggest you negotiate with Russ as he took moulds off mine and is very helpful. I let him do that because firstly he wanted to build one and next I knew GT40NZ was a little shakey and may have to get bits in the future so someone had to do this.

regards

KB

You may want to check that a 5.4 will fit in your porposed chassis, they are a bit bigger than a 302...

In Vic the rules are very different to SA, outside of the major manufacturers you don't have a comparative assesment option for emissions compliance so you will have to do an IM240 and meet 1/2 ADR37/01 limits.

Regards Paul

The bodies were something of a challenge to fit ,esp. the roof spider on the ealier cars. When Dave Harvey bought the company he had all new body moulds made with changes to the rearside of the spider( longer) everything then fitted a lot easier.. i made the panel work for the last NZgt40s and assisted with the body fitting etc. probably around ten of them. steve

The bodies were something of a challenge to fit ,esp. the roof spider on the ealier cars. When Dave Harvey bought the company he had all new body moulds made with changes to the rearside of the spider( longer) everything then fitted a lot easier.. i made the panel work for the last NZgt40s and assisted with the body fitting etc. probably around ten of them. steve

Hi Steve can you tell which body this is.

Attachments

• gt 40 2.bmp
    96.2 KB · Views: 411
  • gt 40 4.bmp
    97.6 KB · Views: 342

SJH

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hi Guys, i am looking at buying a GT40 it is a Phil Ware car from New Zealand, is there any info on these kits as i can't find any.
If anyone knows some info it would be appreciated as i am keen to buy this car.
Thanks Keith.
You are referring perhaps to a GT40 that is advertised on ebay .com.au and it is listed at $65k.
The stud pattern is Holden as I have been reliable informed by the merchant.
If the stud pattern was different like Ford/Jag or Chev I would have bought the car and installed period correct BRM (17 inch) wheels which are in my possession. ..

Last edited:
SJH/KVA, your reply is to a 3+ year old post!
Chev , Jag & HQ holden use same 4.75" pcd 5 stud hubs which should have suited your non-period 17" wheels ( GT40s use 15" in period).
Ford use 4.5"pcd x 5 stud or 5"x5 on larger stuff.

SJH

CURRENTLY BANNED
SJH/KVA, your reply is to a 3+ year old post!
Chev , Jag & HQ holden use same 4.75" pcd 5 stud hubs which should have suited your non-period 17" wheels ( GT40s use 15" in period).
Ford use 4.5"pcd x 5 stud or 5"x5 on larger stuff.

Confirmed HQ to WB Holdens do have 4.75 PCD's.
I have tried the adapters as supplied by Vintage wheels (BRM Style) and they do fit my salisbury diff out of my 1973 HQ one tonner,.]

Therefore it is good news(selling point) that my adapters with spinners will fit Ford,Chevy/Holden and Jaguar Hubs etc.

In view of the above I would remove those silly mags that are fitted on this fleabay GT40 and install these gorgeous 17 inch wheels .

Attachments

• 100_1824.jpg
    100_1824.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 301
  • 100_1825.jpg
    100_1825.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 290
Back