Preference: Replica GT40 or Ford GT?

So what do you think?

Given a choice, would you choose to have a replica GT40 to play with or a Ford GT?

-John

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Given the choice - I'd probably chose the Ford GT to play with.

Note that I use the term "play" as in Track-Day

Now to have as a project car - I would have to chose the replica...

With the term "project car," are you saying that replicas generally need attention to keep them in driving condition?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
John

If you are after a 60's race car based vehicle then you need to go for a replica - with your budget dictating what creature cumforts you go for. (Aircon, sound proofing, etc. as they are hot, cramped, noisy, impractical but incredable fun)

If you are after a modern supercar than the Ford GT will fit the bill where it comes with what are now considered as normal creature comforts.

If you are expecting to carry anything in the way of luggage then the GT is for you

IAn

+1 for all of the above.

I would definitely have a GT for playtime, and even to go to work and back (assuming I can have a fuel tanker followng me).

The '40 is a project (if you plan on building your own), and I have enjoyed (almost) every minute of working on mine. The journey is as important as the destination.

The newer GT is a fantastic homage to the original though... now, **sigh**, If only I had £125,000 to go and get one :)

Graham.

Can't add anything more then my learned friends above. The GT is a super car with all the mod cons. The replica is a just a stupendously fun car to drive that personally I never get tired of looking at.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Nolo Contendere: Replica GT40 or Ford GT?

So what do you think?

Given a choice, would you choose to have a replica GT40 to play with or a Ford GT?

-John

I would object to the question. I would just be irritated at whomever was inflicting the choice on me. The two cars have nothing in common other than styling, and they exist in the marketplace for entirely different reasons and appeal to different interests.

A more sensical question might be one of (as examples):

1. Ford GT vs. Ferrari 430 vs Gallardo
  2. GT-40 Replica vs. Daytona Coupe Replica vs Cobra Replica
  3. Superformance vs. ERA vs. RCR
IOW, if you don't know immediately which one you prefer (for a given situation), you need to do more needs-analysis and/or you need to research the two vehicles at more than a completely superficial level.

With apologies to Mark Twain, the difference between the two cars is the difference between lightening and a lightening bug. (one of them uses heim joints, fer chrissake!)

Unless of course all you care about is styling, in which case you're only looking at the car, not driving it, and a few photographs satisfy that need.

And by the way, just because the big mfrs have bad cases of designis vacuous and have resorted to semi-recylcing old styles (VW, Mini, Tbird, Camaro, Challenger, Mustang...) doesn't mean we have to follow them into their self-inflicted esthetic pit.

They're really two vastly different things IMHO. It's kind of like asking, "would you rather have a rocket ship or a super model?" Depends on what you want to be doing with your new toy.....

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: Nolo Contendere: Replica GT40 or Ford GT?

I would object to the question. I would just be irritated at whomever was inflicting the choice on me. The two cars have nothing in common other than styling, and they exist in the marketplace for entirely different reasons and appeal to different interests.

A more sensible question might be one of (as examples):

1. Ford GT vs. Ferrari 430 vs Gallardo
  2. GT-40 Replica vs. Daytona Coupe Replica vs Cobra Replica
  3. Superformance vs. ERA vs. RCR
If you don't know immediately which one you prefer (for a given situation), you need to do more needs-analysis and/or you need to research the two vehicles at more than a completely superficial level.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Tells it in a nutshell.

I have an SPF GT40 and I have also driven a Ford GT at Miller Motorsports Park, Utah. The GT40 handles much better on the track, however, the Ford GT is much easier to drive on normal streets and traffic.

The GT40.

As with any Ferrari, there really isn't much you can do with a Ford GT without seriously harming its re-sale value. OK, you can change wheels/exhause/ even add a blower...but not anything that can't be changed back.

With any of these replicas, you can pretty much do what you want, personalize it to your own vision of what it can or should be. You can copy an original, or make it up as you go. In the end, unless you've done something really outlandish, you don't really have to worry. And if you blow the motor...so what. Just put another one in. No worries about numbers-matching-this, or factory-original-that. Fun fun fun, without the worries (relatively speaking).

So what do you think?

-John

Here are the two cars side by side - the replica of original GT40 in my judgment is the better choice!

:thumbsup:

John

Attachments

• Car Show - Duncan Donuts 007.jpg
    Car Show - Duncan Donuts 007.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 4,419
  • Car Show - Duncan Donuts 008.jpg
    Car Show - Duncan Donuts 008.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 1,725
  • Car Show - Duncan Donuts 009.jpg
    Car Show - Duncan Donuts 009.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 945