Pics from Scotland Run

Just completed my first run in my car since finishing the build - managed 530 miles since leaving yesterday at lunchtime and nothing brokedown or fell off! My brother took his Stratos, my mate took his V8 Dutton and we went to Applecross in Scotland. For those who don't know, it is the highest (driveable) mountain pass in the UK. The scenery is fantastic and the road is something else (lots of 180 degree bends). Weather was mixed (we had rain, sunshine and fog!) but the car went brilliantly. The reaction from people when they see (and hear) the car is something else. Roaring through the mountains in Glencoe certainly made all those nights in the garage worthwhile!

I haven't stopped grinning yet!

A couple of pics attached. Quality not great....mobile phone cam.

Attachments

• July Car Run 2010 004.jpg
    July Car Run 2010 004.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 441
  • July Car Run 2010 010.jpg
    July Car Run 2010 010.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 456
  • July Car Run 2010 011.jpg
    July Car Run 2010 011.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 500
I've been in Glencoe with a group of Rolls Royce Silver Ghosts, Just a beautiful place to be. Must have been great in your 40.
Bill

Looks good.

The roads are great up there especially the road through Glencoe.

Would be nice to have a scottish get together as we seem to have a few owners up here now.

Scottish Run next summer?? Fort William or Aviemore??

Would give me a date to get mine finished for!!

Yep, Glencoe is fantastic....it is just an awsome place to be.

A Scottish runs sounds good. Where are you Robin?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Assemble and night stop Loch Lomond, Glencoe, Fort William, Night stop, then Loch Ness, Inverness Night Stop, maybe tie in with the Highland Games, Night Stop, a mornings fly fishing on the Spey then some distillieries, mandatory night stop, Aviemore, Night Stop , Drumochter pass, Edinburgh night stop and slap up dinner and take about a week. Send a box of kit ahead (Clean knickers etc) to Fort William / Inverness/ Aviemore.
What fun that would be.
I think there would be a chance of several Sasannachs venturing north to get pissed in Scotland as there is no LMC next year. About 400 miles to do the above and then drive from wherever.

Last edited:
Now that sounds like a plan! Taking a week to drive around Scotland would let you do it justice. I met two guys from Belgium just before Applecross and they couldn't believe the roads and the scenery......They were also impressed with the lack of speed cameras!

If you guys decide to do it then let me know. Lots of indoor space at mine for the cars etc and ideal for you to use as a base. I'm just south of Glasgow, so a good start and finish point.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I've done it time and time again - the most recent was the A9 from Forres to North Queensferry about two months ago. I had to stop for a while in the Drumochter pass
and savour the moment. Just breathtaking. It's quite something doing it in the air as well and often we used to see Tornados going past very low level - from the road you could look down into the cockpits as they went through in pairs. I did it once in an Auster J1N with a northerly wind. The cars on the A9 were quicker.
It's all so beautiful and I'll be back up north to the Black Isle for a major Cailidh quite soon.

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wonderful pictures and worthy of Calendar duty....

Next time take your GOOD Camera with you! :)

Congratulations on a fun trip!

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Mark,
congratulations, and glad it went well for you.
Guys, including a track session at Knockhill in the itinerary of a Scottish run could be a worthwhile possibility.:idea:

regards

Dave

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Looks like you guys had a great run. Fantastic scenery up there. Far less likely to get too hot than heading down to Le Mans too!

Scottish trip next year? Sounds like a plan, but it's 450 miles just to get to Glasgow from down here! Love the road from Loch Lomond up to Fort William, and on up to Inverness - last time I drove it though it was in a 'clapped out' minibus!

Max

Mark.
I am in Dunbar which is about 25 miles east of Edinburgh.
If some of you guys are serious about a Scottish run next summer then i would be willing to help organise. It would also give me a firm date to get the car completed. You know what it is like , I keep working between a few different project and never really manage to get any complete in a realistic timescale. ( Or so she keeps telling me Kitchen,Decorating,New bathroom,Patio to name just a few). Is it just me or are we all like that?

The only thing is we could do with an estate car following to carry our luggage , and that is just the wifes.

I take a look at the various events that are planned for next year and see if I could put together a rough schedule.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Several possibilities spring to mind prompted by Dave Bilyk's comment about Knockhill.
A UK tour with as many British circuits and possibly breweries and distilleries ie Theakstons and Scottish and Newcastle,Glenfarclas, Islay mist, with stop offs in reasonably quite nice surroundings such Alnwick castle and or stately homes and good bordering on brilliant restaurants. Maybe get one of the Hotel chains involved along with a TV company. Even the Ford Motor Company might just get interested. Instead of the seemingly now traditional and very boring line abreast photo in some none-descript car park and a bunch of guys standing around or eating, make every photo something to be pleased enough to hang on the wall. Life is too short for mediocrity. It could also be one of the most memorable motoring holidays of a life time.

Who knows - Maybe even some of the GT40S.com website members from over the seas might be interested as soon as anybody mentions the distilleries.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
That would be a long way to come. One of my thoughts would be that anybody could join in at any stage and equally finish at any stage as well. For example, us suvverners could start off in Thruxton and gently proceed northwards up the M6 and Dave B and Mark M could join as we pass The Lakes or Loch Lomond. Equally they can decide to finish as the tour gets to Edinburgh on the A1 southbound leg. On the Southbound just imagine a dawn photo opportunity at Lindisfarne and Arbroath Smokies and Crasters on a barbeque on the beach for breakfast.

Gents

Reading this thread I'm guessing that the Scottish trip did not happen?
We are already hooked into some really great hotels & restaurants in Scotland and after working in the Scotch whisky industry for the last 28 years am well connected to various distilleries too.
I already have a road book that will take you through, Loch Lomond, Inveraray, Glen Coe, Fort William, Inverness, Speyside and the Dukes Pass and could easily include Knockhill & The Rest & Be Thankful !!
I'd be very happy pulling a Scottish trip together for you if you can get a group together in 2014.

Regards

Bill

Back