GT40 at Crescent Classic - Derek Bell

Just got back from the Crescent Classic car rally. An experience I will never forget was literally handing the steering wheel over and riding with Derek Bell at 8am on Sunday morning BLASTING through the hills this past weekend in my GT40. I learned so much riding with him at fantastic speed....he was so smooth and did I say fast....man did he drive fast....I looked over at him and he had a big grin on his face just as I did the entire time. The looks we got as we hit 6000+rpm in 3rd gear (straight pipes - no mufflers) going past those going into church was absolutely priceless....I am quite sure they will never forget it either!

Brian

Attachments

• c27.jpg
    c27.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 530
  • c30.jpg
    c30.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 485
  • c28.jpg
    c28.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 472
  • c18.jpg
    c18.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 476
  • c12.jpg
    c12.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 470
Last edited by a moderator:

Keith

Wow! Lucky man - what a guy he is and one of the greatest sports car racers ever. Good job the steering wheel was on the 'right' side for him though....

Thanks for posting mate.. :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
FABULOUS!!!!!

While I don't know Derek personally - I've spoken with him many times in the paddock of the World Challenge races we raced in... A very nice, soft spoken gentleman that had more talent than any two of his competitors combined.. He was driving The Champion Audi cars at the time...

What a treat for both of you!!!

In my opinion, there was more religion in the 40 than in the churches. But then, I'm a believer.

How did you get to score such a fantastic drive, Brian?

How did you get to score such a fantastic drive, Brian?

He joined us for a 3 day event in Arkansas (Eureka Springs). He was driving a 430 Ferrari that Ferrari of Denver lent him for the event (as well as a Bentley). He was behind me for a good section and then passed me and was gone..and I thought I was fast!....did not see him until our lunch stop in Jasper Arkansas. Told me the Ferrari lacked torque coming out of the tight corners...then one thing led to another and we joined up on Sunday. He was so much fun at the event..super nice guy...and very fun to talk with. The stories he had were amazing. About 5 of us watched parts of Lemans (the movie) with him while he talked about helping make the movie...driving the 917s with cameras attached....hanging out with Steve McQueen....
He did say that after being a part of just about every road rally in Europe and in the states, the roads around Eureka Springs were the best he has ever driven on....this is so true....some of the greatest in the world....no traffic and so smooth.

Brian

Attachments

• c25.jpg
    c25.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 336
  • c24.jpg
    c24.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 362
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 335
Brain, congrats on your drive with Derek. It looks like a fun event with beautiful scenery. I'll have to bring my Gulf GT40 out there next year!

What are some of the details you noticed about Derek's driving style?

Randy

P.S. Don't forget the mail those Avon stencils. Thanks!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Eureka Springs is 45-50 miles from our house but takes over an hour and half to get there if that tells you anything about the roads. One of the most miserable trips is to get behind a AR handicapped license plate, (that means they drive 30 in a 55) and they don't pull over. :(

I wish I had known Mike Trusty was up that weekend with his car and we would have driven over with our two. Maybe next year.

You are one lucky dog Brian

What are some of the details you noticed about Derek's driving style?

Randy

P.S. Don't forget the mail those Avon stencils. Thanks!

Some of the things were:
How he gripped the wheel...very light.
How he would brake very hard and then let the car settle for a split second and then pour the power on through the corner. Used the power to set the car while going through the corners. Of coarse this is all stuff they teach you at driving school but to watch it with such skill and consistency was awesome.

Cutting new stencils early next week for you :)

Brian

Back