Can someone help me identify this CAV.

I purchased this CAV GT 40 some years ago on ebay. It is Gulf Blue and Orange colors.
I was wondering if someone could help me sort out its lineage.

Here is the stamped ID on the front sill:
CAV01093000438SBLAU66.

Here is the ID on the CAV plate on the rear fire wall:
Model Type: CAV 010930
VIN No. 0438S B L AU 66.
Assembled by Jean Fourie.

Thanks. Any information as to what all that means would be appreciated.

As your vin number is different than mine, it is a car built after #100. I would guess it to be #438 built, but I didn't think that CAV was up to that high number yet. Auto Futura will probably chime in as they are the builder of this car.

You may want to do a title search and see who any prior owners were and call them directly. They should tell you specifically what is up with your car and any history behind it.

Best of luck!

Contact Johann at the CAV US website www.cav-america.com his contact number should be on the site or you can contact Jean at the CAV factory in South Africa at: [email protected]

Johann's email address is: [email protected]

Both are EXTREMELY helpful and if you can't get the info you want there then it isn't going to be found. Good Luck and lets see some photos of your car......sounds V nice.

Thanks for the tips guys. I will try to post some pictures in the next few days - they are all on my other computer.

Can you tell what you mean by "some years ago", because my CAVGT has the same number, but it is a pre-mono car. Also having the plaque "Assembled by Jean Fourie". That plaque usually designated a non-AutoFutura build, around 2000-2001. Remember the CAV GT when built by Jean and John as a team, was originally a GTD car from UK origins, with tube framing. Just a thought.

Hi
The car in question is a very early spaceframe car. The S designates the spaceframe. The new monocoque chassis has a MONO in chassis number. Cars built by Auto Futura has a AF in the number .
Regards
Jean

Back