CAD drawing. Help me please!

Hi guys im a uni student attempting to model a Mk4 GT40. Im asking if there is anybody out there that already has a model or accurate cross section, blueprints or anything else that might help. It would mean the world to me right now.

Thank you

Stevo was with us at Bathurst and spent the week end helping out, if any one could help with links to CAD drawings or 3d modeling in some form of digital format it would be a great help.I am sure he will be willing to share the finished product with the GT 40 community, he made a start with a laser imaging system but the amout of time the machine took precluded him from being able to do the whole car.

Stevo, Mk4 might be tough as most of the info out there is for the early cars.

If you can use Mk1, PM me your email. I'll send through what I have :)

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
This might help.......

Andy

Attachments

• fordgtmkiv02.jpg
    fordgtmkiv02.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,484
Drop the sketchup file you go no where interms of prceision,
I looking myself to build the MKIV but I toght that we must begen by chassis and goes on till the shell.
I was thinking to contact those company who sell kit but it's not obvius they will help me.
I foud in this site some technical sheet of the chassis for a MKI maybe they have something in common.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/32106-riviera-scratchbuilt-gt40-2.html#post328286
Then complex is the engine and the other part of the interiors.
For the shell the link of Doc watson is pefect with good 3d software like Modo you can easy build it .
Luxology > Store > Training Videos > Le Mans Racecar Modeling, Texturing and Rendering

The picture posted by oc Watson is probably an "artist interpretation", just as the 3d mods for video games availables on the net (just as Sam's link).

Don't know how accurate you need your 3d, but if you want really accurate data, there are 2 ways to go:
1: Ask FORD or whoever has the prints (obviously, you can forget it)
2: laserscan... Not cheap (unles you have one@ school) but the best... The hardest part for it is to locate a car, and gently ask the owner offering him to share the files with him.

just take a look at the "david laser scanner" forum, and you will find a guy who has scanned a xk8 jaguar with this system...

OlivieR.

With all technology it's really crazy that there are no info in this aspect.
I think we should make a sort of museum of digital contenet with cad and all part name to been able to rebuild it even in 2050 like we do with Leonardo Da Vinci machine.

With all technology it's really crazy that there are no info in this aspect.
I think we should make a sort of museum of digital contenet with cad and all part name to been able to rebuild it even in 2050 like we do with Leonardo Da Vinci machine.

It's not a technology issue.

It's an issue of proprietary information, unwillingness or inability to share such information, and I am sure, some liability thrown in as well.

Now, I may have a welder at the ready to fab a chassis for me, but I need to come up with some plans/drawings - preferably CAD. So, I am studying some of the drawings already posted in this forum, as well as photos of other chassis, to create my own CAD files. However, I am not a CAD expert by any means, and between big projects at work and big projects at home (not including a wife and 3 kids), progress is excruciatingly slow ...

Ian

Someone told me the chassis of the MKIV is completly different from other model so no way to reproduce as long you do a fake.
For cad drawing no problem just give me mesure and it's done.

It's not a technology issue.
It's an issue of proprietary information, unwillingness or inability to share such information, and I am sure, some liability thrown in as well.
Ian
Maybe but you will always create a fake so I don't see any steal of proprety on this is just a reproduction no more and if someone tell me the difference of this fact i really would like to know.

Maybe but you will always create a fake so I don't see any steal of proprety on this is just a reproduction no more and if someone tell me the difference of this fact i really would like to know.

The problem is that companies like Superformance, CAV, Tornado, Southern GT, Roaring Forties, RCR, ERA, etc. etc. etc. have spent a lot of time and effort engineering their chassis. Yes, they may have some similarities since they are all are based upon the same thing, but there are individual differences engineered in for different and "proprietary" reasons. As a result, they will not provide the drawings/CAD files because they do not want people to be able to fabricate their own chassis and cut the manufacturers out of the action so to speak. The chassis design is their "property" to do with as they see fit. And, in all honesty, I do not begrudge them. Also, even if they were to provide those drawings/CAD files, they will most likely open themselves up to liability claims and litigation should someone use those plans to fabricate a chassis and have it fail causing injury or death.

Ian

The problem is that companies like Superformance, CAV, Tornado, Southern GT, Roaring Forties, RCR, ERA, etc. etc. etc. have spent a lot of time and effort engineering their chassis.
Ian
Exactly, this is an aspect, but is not what we are talking now , we are talking to have dimension the same as the original one, that does not build the car.
In europe if someone create a chassis on his own will not pass any certification and of course no insurance, maybe even in circuit you are not able to race.
So if you want to create a replica to drive in the street you are oblige to deal with those company.

Hi Stevo,

If you could let us know a bit more about the intention of the project then it might be easier for people to point you in the right direction for data.
Is this for an art - design or Engineering project for example?

BTW there are open source laser scanning solutions such as: DAVID 3D Scanner which has been scaled up by at least one person to do motorbike for example. From there you need a body to point it at and CAD to get the model you're looking for. That is if its the outside surface you're interested in.

There are other methods to accurately measure a body which involve more time than money, which traditionally uni students have ;)

I'm new to the GT40 group, I'm an aircraft designer. I created renderings,tooling,CAD/CAM drawings and detail shop drawings. If someone can produce 3 view of the GT40, I can create a 3D rendering, from this. We create horizontal and vertical cross section for designing the master plug. It's used to make the female molds,etc. Or wooden master buck if you're building a metal body. I design jets and we are this using this same process, you can use in your garage! Plus I want to build my own GT40...don't make it complicated...simple works! jay

Back