Am I too tall ?

Hi guys,

I am not sure to be in the good forum, I apologise if my thread is misplaced. I am really considering to invest into a GT 40 kit-car from Tornado Sport. Unfortunately for me, my size is barely compatible with most of the sports cars.
I almost measure 2 meters (6.5 feet). Do you think there is any chance I can live my dream and drive a GT 40 ? Do you know if there any modification to do without have to rebuild the whole bodyshells ?

Furthermore I have seen on the Tornado's website the following sentence :
For taller drivers a door top blister moulding is available as used on many original GT40's.
I am not sure to fully understand but if they are referring to a kind of bubble there is absolutely no way :drunk:

Sorry for my bad English, as you have probably noticed it's not my native language.

Thanks,
Jup.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jup,

Welcome, I know there are several fairly tall GT40 owners. I'm sure that people who know about the different typs of 40s' available will be able to answer your question. I bet you can find something that will work.

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jup

Welcome to the forum

And yes anything is possible but as you say modifications will have to be made.

I am 6'3" and fit very comfortably in my Dax but the Dax was actually a 41 inch tall car (Dax decided people in the late 1980's 1990's were taller than those in the 1960's and built ther reproduction accordingly. But the Dax is no longer in production and a very rare car.

That said a previous chairman of our club had a KVA and he modified it to fit himself by moving the pedals forward etc. I tried his car for size and actually could not reach the pedals on full depression of the clutch. (I believe Chris is about 6'5")

I have heard that Tornado has made a car for someone of your height - again designing and fitting the pedalls further forward creates a lot extra leg room.

Tony Hunt had his GTD modified for his size 11 / 12 shoes and over 6 foot height.

So basically anything is possible but it will take time and effort.

Perhaps come alog to a local GT40 Enthusiast club meeting and introduce yourself - most owners will be accommodating and let you try for size

Cheers
Ian

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Jup

We offer several options for taller drivers including lowered seats and a special seat.

Our monocoques have been designed to offer the maximum legroom available.

I am sure we can fit you in a car.

You can contact me on 01562 820372.

Thanks

Andy

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
David,

Have you forgotten Mr Gurney and Mr Miles?

I'm 6' tall, 250+ and I fit just fine in my SPF.

David, by the way, those shots of your car outside, next to your Indy car. They have completely changed my mind about an orange GT40, it's fabulous!

Last edited:
Thanks Jim, I ordered that car over the internet after I crashed the CAV and really did not know what it would look like in the flesh.
But I was not disappointed!
The GT40 fortunately has a shape that would look great painted olive drab, we are very fortunate to have these cars.
Dave

Back