UK Registration

Apologies I'm sure this will have been covered before somewhere but I can't find it.
Can anyone advise me on the best way to avoid a "Q" registration when presenting a car with insufficient receipts to qualify as new and no "genuine" donor vehicle.

I'm referring to my Lee Noble P4 kit that is now being built with a Ferrari engine and gearbox from a breaker and I doubt that I can obtain the V5 for the donor car and even if I could it would Cat A or B.

All advice gratefully received and my next project will be a GT40. I promise.

Dave.

In a word, no. There is no way of avoiding a Q plate in that situation. Any further discussion is probably best left off a public forum.

As long as you build your vehicle with all new parts, and have receipts to match; then you are allowed one reconditioned part, which is normally the engine for most people (and also then allows people to go for smoke test only if you have age related block). If you do this then you get a new registration, Simples

Those are the rules, which are well documented if you care to subscribe to the church of google and spend some time researching... This took me a massive 15secs... Registering a kit car or kit conversion : Directgov - Motoring

Thanks for that Brett but as my original post asked for advice when there are insufficient receipts it doesn't really solve my problem. I have a copy of the rules as I'm a regular Church of Google goer too. I don't really want to recondition an 18000 mile engine just to comply with that rule and I'm quite happy to get an old number. As for the smoke test, that would be great as it would save me buying Cat's but my engine is 1996 so Cat's it is I believe?

Keith

Hi Dave, interesting site of yours. It seems a shame you are going to all this trouble just to sell it when you've finished building the P4 but there again, I find the journey more interesting myself.

Why not sell it without a title or will that be financially disadvantageous?

Hi Keith, Yes I can understand why a lot of people may wonder why go to so much trouble and then sell it. Most people do it out of a desire to own and drive a car of their dreams.

For me it's simple. I have some money sitting in a Bank earning virtually nothing. There are no worthwhile investment opportunities that appeal to me on the basis of risk versus return. So, rather than rely on a Stockbroker or Financial Advisor, this way I can win or lose as a result of my own skills and judgement.

I bought the project purely as an investment opportunity. Time will tell if my gut feel for its appeal and ultimate value will be proved right or wrong.

I have thought about selling it as Unregistered but I think it would significantly reduce its appeal and value. Unless of course it was destined to go overseas.

I suppose I'm lucky in that my business requires minimal input from me so I have the time and the finances to embark on this mission. Now that I've built a new workshop on site, I'll be there anyway. The only difference is that the workshop will now be my new office too. I reckon certain members of staff will be quite pleased by that.

I'm also lucky because not only do I get to make a decent return (hopefully) I get to make profit doing something I enjoy and get a great deal of satisfaction from. As it says on my Website, I,ve given up owning expensive cars, mainly due to heavy depreciation but also because I don't drive much these days either.

I'm not in the UK at the moment but when I get back I will put some pictures of what I bought on my Website and its not a pretty sight. Bear in mind, the kit I bought was made around 1985 and has been lying around unbuilt ever since. The intended donor car was readily available back then but now is completely obsolete even in the scrapyards.

Luckily though, via this forum I've met (not physically yet) a guy who can sell me a great deal of very useful spares from a later model which will save me a lot of trouble.

Now, I might get shot down in flames but I welcome the input. My next project is likely to be a GT40. Which one I have no idea but I like the look of the Tornado being built by Ian in Scotland. Here's the part where you shoot me, I have a Chevy engine and UN1 gearbox going spare that came with the P4. An acceptable option for a GT40 or not? If not, anyone want to buy a Chevy engine????

On the subject of engines, has anyone seen the Ford engine for sale on Piston Heads. Judging by the exhaust system, it was intended for a GT40. It seems very good value to me, in fact I'm almost tempted to buy it and store it for later use. Not being a Ford V8 officionardo, maybe its not the best engine, I don't know.

Anyway, bored you all long enough so I'm off to the bar. My Domain is now registered for those interested. Start page - Ferrari P4 Replica

Dave.

Dave,
Chris Hale in Kent runs a Tornado with a Chevy engine in.

At the end of the day it is your choice, but I personally guess one with a Ford engine is more "realistic", at least in small block form. Some people are putting the new modular engine in, but then all you are doing is having a Ford V8.

Up to you... ;)

Brett

Back