RCR and Superformance

Greetings to all forum members. First post.

I see Superformance has a very "slick" product. The fit and finish are impressive. It is a very sharp looking car.

How does RCR compare?

I ask because there are endless high res photos of the SPF 40 but I have few high res photos of the RCR40 to compare? I have yet to see either in person.

I do see Fran does superb work from the likes of the SLC and he is extremely innovative. I do know he can "bespoke" his product as I faintly recall a central seated SLC?

The SPF looks downright gorgeous and with all kinds of nice little features like roof vents, front wings and hidden air con.

Will I be able to get an equally impressive package turn key from RCR? And yes I do realize this is a loaded question.

Is this question best suited in the RCR section? Ron feel free to move it if it is best served over there.

Thank you.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Greetings to all forum members. First post.

I see Superformance has a very "slick" product. The fit and finish are impressive. It is a very sharp looking car.

How does RCR compare?

I ask because there are endless high res photos of the SPF 40 but I have few high res photos of the RCR40 to compare? I have yet to see either in person.

I do see Fran does superb work from the likes of the SLC and he is extremely innovative. I do know he can "bespoke" his product as I faintly recall a central seated SLC?

The SPF looks downright gorgeous and with all kinds of nice little features like roof vents, front wings and hidden air con.

Will I be able to get an equally impressive package turn key from RCR? And yes I do realize this is a loaded question.

Is this question best suited in the RCR section? Ron feel free to move it if it is best served over there.

Thank you.

I am sure Fran at RCR can do a "bespoke" product to your requirements. That said, at Superformance we can also do custom requests within the parameters of the base hard points and design of the car, i.e. no central seating as our tunnel runs down the center (and we know some late MK IIs had the tunnel removed but we are not set up to do that sort of modification). We can do custom colors, trims, options (MK II nose on a MK I, A/C delete on a street car, Halibrands on a MK I, etc.).

You really need to see, touch and sit in both to make an informed decision. I have GTs on hand or I can arrange an owner near you to show their car to you. I am sure RCR can do the same. You are considering two of the best on the market and will not go wrong either way.

The "best" GT40 is the one you like and can buy!

That is a hard comparison. I believe most of RCRs cars are sold to people who will build the car themselves. Superformance sells their cars as turn key less motor. If you want to see pictures of completed RCRs look at the build pages of people who have completed their cars. An RCR can certainly be built to the level of a Superformance, but that is up to the skill of the builder.

I believe that RCR does work with a company that will finish the cars for buyers but I don't remember the specifics.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
How would someone compare Tornado with RCR/Superformance?

I love their carbon fibre Monocoque... that somehow to me puts it above the 2 mentioned here as its alread ahead there...

dunno about quality of build though... is the car body identical/correct or are the dimensions weird, air vents not as round as they should be and so forth

William,
I own an RCR, and I looked at a lot of other cars as well as Superformance before I bought it. I think it comes down to what you are going to use it for, and how much you want to spend. An RCR could be built to the same standard as a Superformance, but how much time do you have? Are you willing to work on it yourself? Dollar-wise, I think it would probably be less expensive to buy a Superformance roller and drop an engine/tranny in it. If you pay someone to build the RCR and request the same spec as the Superformance I think it would cost more. (my labor turning wrenches is VERY cheap!)

With that being said I really like the RCR chassis and the suspension. Easy to work on, easy to replace parts, and semi-local to me if I need them. I am a person that likes to work on my own car and am always upgrading. I bought a car that was not completely finished so that I could personalize it. I don't really care if it has "continuation" status as I would not race it in vintage events anyway. Happy hunting, Scott

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
.... Dollar-wise, I think it would probably be less expensive to buy a Superformance roller and drop an engine/tranny in it.

It would be hard to do an SPF for less than $100K even with free labor. What are you imagining is the cost breakdown of an RCR turnkey?

Alan,
Same fit and finish is going to cost more if you pay a small company to do it. The factory rollers are ? these days? I remember seeing prices between high 70s-high80s? Delux kit n Frans site 43k. Add paint and prep/fitting. Chassis set-up, fuel system, run all wiring,brake/brake lines,dash/gauges,interior,paint chassis/interior,cooling system fans etc. I am pretty sure that the roller is going to come out ahead for the work that is done. (It would if I had to pay for it!!) ;o) Motor/tranny equal cost on install labor etc.

I like the SPF as well, I just didn't want to wait and found something that worked for me. (I am also quickly finding out that the upgraded parts that come standard on some cars are expensive!!) Oh well, u play u pay! Scott

Last edited:
I too have a RCR. Just finished. With RCR you are the builder. You can take your time and build it to your level of fit and finish or toss it together if you are happy with that.
I made the right decision as what kit to buy. The engineering of the car and components was spot on. Everything fit, anything that didn't fit was due to my not understanding of how to build a car.
This is the only car i have ever built I am 68 and it took me a little over 3 years.
Any questions, Fran quickly shared solutions to get me back on track.
My car is Gulf blue, 302 crate engine with aluminum heads roller cam, 650 quick fuel carb, msd with everything in the distrib no box on the wall, facet fuel pumps, engine dino 332 hp at 6200 rpm "without" the bundle of snakes header on it. Only option 6 point roll cage and +2" rear suspension.
Options the sky is the limit. The one that is the most practical and you will use the most comes from Chuck and Ryans build its called a April 1 cup holder for the drivers door. See C&R duild site for details.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan,
Same fit and finish is going to cost more if you pay a small company to do it. The factory rollers are ? these days? I remember seeing prices between high 70s-high80s? Delux kit n Frans site 43k. Add paint and prep/fitting. Chassis set-up, fuel system, run all wiring,brake/brake lines,dash/gauges,interior,paint chassis/interior,cooling system fans etc. I am pretty sure that the roller is going to come out ahead for the work that is done. (It would if I had to pay for it!!) ;o) Motor/tranny equal cost on install labor etc.

I know what's involved, I just don't have the hours and labor rate numbers for an RCR that would add up to nearly $50,000. Does anyone else have actual numbers?

Alan,
The difference is not 50k, its more like 35k. (we are not comparing the cost of motor/transmission) And one would also have to include the cost of the parts and upgrades that are not part of the deluxe kit for the RCR to make an apples to apples comparison. For example there are no swaybars included in the deluxe RCR kit, but the SPF roller already has them installed. (that is why I stated same level of fit/finish) Sincerely, Scott

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Turnkey minus...

Sigh... didn't have my orange juice this morning.

Anyway, with an SPF TK minus at $80K that makes RCR $15K cheaper (all other things being equal) right out of the gate. AND if that RCR TK minus can take one them-thar new-fangled $8.3K Griffin gearboxes without a struggle, then we shave another $7K off the RCR price so now RCR is ~$22K cheaper.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Sigh... didn't have my orange juice this morning.

Anyway, with an SPF TK minus at $80K that makes RCR $15K cheaper (all other things being equal) right out of the gate. AND if that RCR TK minus can take one them-thar new-fangled $8.3K Griffin gearboxes without a struggle, then we shave another $7K off the RCR price so now RCR is ~$22K cheaper.

Does the RCR have air con at that price? Is that painted? Tires?

I do not know the answers to those questions. The RCR is a great car and Fran is a good guy (even if Outback wouldn't serve him a baked potato). Point is the comparo must be "apples to apples" to have any value.

That is with hidden AC , paint , standard tires and a six point roll cage,multiple transaxle fitment options as standard.....

Some upgrade options are three choices of tail width for the Mk1, wider rear wheels, race replica paint schemes, fire system,custom headers for race engines....etc etc...

I am sure Fran at RCR can do a "bespoke" product to your requirements. That said, at Superformance we can also do custom requests within the parameters of the base hard points and design of the car, i.e. no central seating as our tunnel runs down the center (and we know some late MK IIs had the tunnel removed but we are not set up to do that sort of modification). We can do custom colors, trims, options (MK II nose on a MK I, A/C delete on a street car, Halibrands on a MK I, etc.).

You really need to see, touch and sit in both to make an informed decision. I have GTs on hand or I can arrange an owner near you to show their car to you. I am sure RCR can do the same. You are considering two of the best on the market and will not go wrong either way.

The "best" GT40 is the one you like and can buy!

Thanks Rick. I am leaning towards RCR and a TK at that.

William,
I own an RCR, and I looked at a lot of other cars as well as Superformance before I bought it. I think it comes down to what you are going to use it for, and how much you want to spend. An RCR could be built to the same standard as a Superformance, but how much time do you have? Are you willing to work on it yourself? Dollar-wise, I think it would probably be less expensive to buy a Superformance roller and drop an engine/tranny in it. If you pay someone to build the RCR and request the same spec as the Superformance I think it would cost more. (my labor turning wrenches is VERY cheap!)

With that being said I really like the RCR chassis and the suspension. Easy to work on, easy to replace parts, and semi-local to me if I need them. I am a person that likes to work on my own car and am always upgrading. I bought a car that was not completely finished so that I could personalize it. I don't really care if it has "continuation" status as I would not race it in vintage events anyway. Happy hunting, Scott

Hi cscott67,

I am looking at a turnkey. i do like that the RCR is American made or at least made in America. Is Fran homegrown or are we "renting" him? :drunk:

Back