Hemmings Find of the Day - Safir Car

How many Safir Mk V's were there? Spain lists chassis 1090-1120, not as high as 1133. Also were there other Safir's with MkII bodywork?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
How many Safir Mk V's were there? Spain lists chassis 1090-1120, not as high as 1133. Also were there other Safir's with MkII bodywork?

There were Safirs with Mk II tails like this, notice the front clip is still a MK I type. Not sure about the chassis numbers as I know there is a "hole" in the numbers due to the agreement with JWA that would allow JWA to complete some tubs, etc.

There has been mention in the past of 1139 & 1140 and I'd guess if we looked hard enough there has to bea reason for one of the build threads being entitled 1149 - it suggests the last eighties Safir was in the range 1141 to 1148

Just checked - the last was supposed to be 1146 which was why the two Ford GT prototypes were 1147 & 1148

Getting to the bottom of exactly how many were built probably needs a better source as the sequence from 1090 was often interrupted

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

I don't have it with me but I believe the shelby registry book lists them all. I know there was a batrch of five that got FE engines and T44s.

"The spectacular LeMans winning Ford GT40 is an exceptionally rare and significant automobile. Less than 200 were made, and only 500 remain today in existence...."

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Asking prices do not equal selling prices, but it is still impressive....they gave my car #1149, after the two numbers they gave Ford, I think it was.

The car is one of 6 aluminum tub cars SAFIR built - rivited together. The open top was also a SAFIR feature. Peter Thorpe's original car was an open top car as well. He offered removable door ends or a completly open top.

that is a real deal - Mark V car. I only wish I had $400K

I saw the car in the UK at the Goodwood Festival of Speed one year, and then was surprised to see the same car turn up in my backyard a few months later.

The car was at (and the photos in the ad were taken in front of) Hall Fabrication, a high-end Cobra restoration shop in Benecia, CA, between San Francisco and Sacramento (and 20 minutes from my house):

Hall Fabrication & Racing, Inc.

Note that this car was built for light weight, and as such, is fitted with a 302 (an extremely mild 302 at that) rather than an FE motor, MK II tail section notwithstanding.

It's certainly the quietest GT40 I've ever heard, and that, plus the open top, would make it a very enjoyable road car, I think.

A friend owns another of the Safir Mk IIs with the removable tops; his has an all-aluminum 496 inch FE motor with 11,347 horsepower, and straight pipes.

Not a very enjoyable road car. :laugh:

Does anyone have pics of the Safir alluminium chassis

I have this pic from this thread

vorder_rahmen.gif

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/original-gt40s/31341-barn-find.html

Brian Stewart
Supporter
There is a photo of a bare Safir aluminium tub near the back of John S Allen's book.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
" A friend owns another of the Safir Mk IIs with the removable tops; his has an all-aluminum 496 inch FE motor with 11,347 horsepower, and straight pipes."

My GOD Mike !! :stunned::stunned::stunned:
You sure he didnt strap in one or even two of the engines off your C5 Galaxy ????

Back