Naked Mk 1V

Howdi all,
What does the bare chassis of a Mk 1V look like.
Would the RCR be a reasonably accurate shaped replica chassis.
Any info or pictures would be good

Cheers

As you can see it differs from the RCR chassis somewhat, not a big deal to make one using the RCR concept, but making all the panels/chassis sections closer to the MKIV in size/shape etc, while your at it might a well make the roof/spyder etc from alloy as well....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Fran Hall looks just like that, too..white shirt, tie, glasses, and wears a pocket protector and carries a slide rule. I have this on good authority. LOL

Fran Hall looks just like that, too..white shirt, tie, glasses, and wears a pocket protector and carries a slide rule. I have this on good authority. LOL

Close..no white shirt, no tie, no glass's, could be a pocket protector & probably a calculator for calculating the interest...sigh...what goes around comes around...everything changes..everything stays the same...:)

Last edited:
Hi Kieth

Here are some pics of Kenny Thompsons Mk IV / J car Replicas

GT40 INTRESTING PICS 068.jpgGT40 INTRESTING PICS 069.jpgGT40 INTRESTING PICS 070.jpgGT40 INTRESTING PICS 071.jpgGT40 INTRESTING PICS 072.jpgGT40 INTRESTING PICS 073.jpgGT40 INTRESTING PICS 074.jpgGT40 INTRESTING PICS 075.jpgGT40 INTRESTING PICS 076.jpgGT40 INTRESTING PICS 077.jpg

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The shape of the RCR chassis is actually quite similar....although it is not honeycomb per the original it is aluminum.

Attachments

• PICT3822.jpg
    PICT3822.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 473
  • PICT3914.jpg
    PICT3914.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 500
  • DSCF1983.JPG
    DSCF1983.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 497
  • DSCF1982.JPG
    DSCF1982.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 480
  • DSCF1988.JPG
    DSCF1988.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 489
]
Fran looks quite solid in that photo, Jac Mac. Are we sure he's still working hard?

I believe on the day that photo was taken his pockets etc were padded with 'IOU's' from his caddy mate, not sure what his excuse might be were he to have his photo taken in more recent times... last photo I saw of him he was wearing knee pads praying for divine guidance beside his SLC.... not sure why the knee pads, perhaps he got put on hold.....:idea:

Great pictures.
When I have finished the SGT Mk1 I know will be thinking of the next build.

Cheers

Here are some pics of Kenny Thompsons Mk IV / J car Replicas

Wow, those are some awesome photos... is there additional info
available on these cars? How many $$?

Very nice indeed.

mardyn

Were all the original Mk IVs honeycomb panel cars? I didn't think all of them were...particularly after there were problems with some suspension points tearing loose....

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Were all the original Mk IVs honeycomb panel cars? I didn't think all of them were...particularly after there were problems with some suspension points tearing loose....

All of the "J" chassis' were honeycomb construction. In fact, the material used was "strategic defense material" and Honeywell had to get defense department permission to supply it to Kar Kraft.

The suspension bracket failures were resovled with improved adhesive and more rivets. The early "J" chassis differed somewhat from the later units. The sills were squared off and the rows of rivets were increased.

The Thompson cars are amazing! I am surprised at the market for what is obviously a very expensive replica.
I don't think that there were that many real "J" cars built, does anyone know the actual number?
Dave

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I don't think that there were that many real "J" cars built, does anyone know the actual number?
Dave

12 "J" series chassis' were constructed. 10 were completed in the 60's by Kar Kraft. The remaining two were completed in the mid eighties by Autokraft in England. I was offered my pick of them in 1985 on a visit to Autokraft but they were slightly (a GROSS exageration!) out of my price range. The last two units became J11 and J12 and are still floating around.

Back