Purchasing Jim Dunham's GT40

Hello,
My name is Mark Maybury.

I am in the process of purchasing Jim Dunham's GT40 project.

Currently I have a FFR Daytona coupe that is set up for landspeed racing and one of Fran's RCR70s that I really need to get back to working on.

This forum will be of great help when the time comes to complete Jim's GT40 as he has invested a lot of time into re-creating a legend.

I am certian that I will have questions on many detail items and look forward to the journey.

Regards,
Mark

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You sir, have purchased a work of art!!!!

Congratulations!

Randy,
Thank you.

I am having a hard time waiting to actually see Jim's GT40 in person as many people have stated that it is very well done.
This will be a challenging and fun project to finish re-creating an original looking GT40.
Another challenge will be getting insurance on this as I am not sure that it has a vin #.
Regards,
Mark

Welcome Mark, I too have a FFR Daytona coupe and a GT 40 Tornado. It's a great pair to have in the barn.
Good luck with the build, Bill

Looking forward to picking up the GT40 this Saturday as we will have a 17 hour drive to get there going the short way across part of Canada.

Hopefully we will have good weather for Sat and Sunday on the return as this is the longer part of the trip.
Staying in the US takes us 100miles further but we will not have to deal with customs.

Jimbo
It was great chatting with you.
I am sure I will be back in contact as there will be many more questions.

Mark Maybury

Mark, his son Mike, and Bruce arrived at my place at 3am this morning, I let them sleep for a little while in the barn. Wonderful guys, it was a pleasure meeting them. After going over the car, we loaded all the stuff up - took quite a while since Mark wanted it all bubble wrapped, tarped, plastic wrapped, and secured 110%. I think we filled every square inch of his truck. They all left about 10:30 headed back home. The weather to my place and home looks clear and sunny so it should go well. It was a real treat to see his excitement. I think he is going to have a wonderful project.

Now I have GT40 separation anxiety!

Jim

Attachments

• GT40 leaving for maine.JPG
    GT40 leaving for maine.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,015

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Mark, did you forget your snowplow blade....:)

Have a good trip home. Nice talking with you, post some photos when you get it all unpacked. It's going to be an epic GT40, no question on that.

Mark,

Congrats! (if I hadn't said it already) I think you should have taken the bigger truck. By the sounds of it you wont have room to pick up more stuff in Conn. Well, maybe during the trip in April.

Jim,

Sorry you had to part ways with the car. It will be with a new owner who can carry the torch for you.

Mark

All,
We had a safe trip from Michigan to Maine.
Will post some pictures later in the week as we arrived home at 5pm on Sunday and 5 hours later I am at work.:blank:
The weather was perfect and the old truck ran as reliably as she always does.

Jim has the ultimate shop and collection of fine cars.
It was great to have meet him and to be able to continue his project.
Jim thank you for this opportunity as you have created a masterpiece.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures and hearing about Jim's 05 Ford GT race car and the Porsche and the Model T.

Jimbo,
While we were going across Canada we ran into 3 lake effect snow squals that dropped visibility down to 50 feet or less were thinking we should have left the plow on...

Tprcars,
Looking forward to the extra hands to unload and inventory all of the parts.

Mark Maybury

Just starting to get caught up and able to post a few pictures of the GT40 as I had promissed.
Yes, the driveway was still covered in ice when we arrived home from Michigan, but we must have brought the warm weather back with us as mud season is fully upon us.
The GT40 is now in storage in the back bay.
The Lola (RCR70) is back into it's spot and now we can continue gathering parts and doing research to get ready for the builds.
I think we may take trip down to Jay cushman's shop in the near future to check out the GT40 he is working on.
Regards,
Mark

Attachments

• GEDC0507.JPG
    GEDC0507.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 902
  • GEDC0510.JPG
    GEDC0510.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 872
Dwight,
It was 70 here in Maine when it should be in the 40's!!!
All of the snow birds will want to be back home but most know that the weather will be back to the normal cold spring shortly.
But for now the street toys will be out as one of the cruise nights starts tonight.:thumbsup:
We will be there with the old 52 Chevy and maybe the Daytona if I have time to put the street tires and side pipes back on.

Mark

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
It was 58 last night.

We have a local cruise on Saturday 6:00 till 10:00 and when the time changes it's on Sunday 2:00 till 4:00. If we have bad weather the guys stay home, but this year we met nearly ever week.

Dwight

I realize this is an older thread but does anyone know how I can contact Jim Dunham?
Thank you,
Gentry Zentmeyer
AutoInstruments Corp.

Neil

Supporter
Hello,
My name is Mark Maybury.

I am in the process of purchasing Jim Dunham's GT40 project.

Currently I have a FFR Daytona coupe that is set up for landspeed racing and one of Fran's RCR70s that I really need to get back to working on.

This forum will be of great help when the time comes to complete Jim's GT40 as he has invested a lot of time into re-creating a legend.

I am certian that I will have questions on many detail items and look forward to the journey.

Regards,
Mark

Mark;

Is this your Daytona coupe at Bonneville?

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Attachments

• Daytona Coupe Replica_1a.jpg
    Daytona Coupe Replica_1a.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 462
  • Daytona Coupe Replica_2a.jpg
    Daytona Coupe Replica_2a.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 438
Back