Earliest GT40 replicas?

I believe that KVA was first, followed by:
GTD
Tornado
You could say that Holman & Moody were in the mix as well.

I meet Peter Portante (ERA) in late 1989. A white and blue ERA GT was already built and delivered. Cobra Restorers had built a yellor ERA GT 3 or more years before. The test car was even older. So early 1980's ERA started their GT project.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Best as I can recall, ERA was first on this. Or KVA. As far as continuous production of a GT40 replica, ERA would have to be it; I don't think anyone else has been at it continually as long as they have...

Brian Stewart
Supporter
From a web article...

During the 1960s an Englishman, Ken Attwell, yearned to own a GT40. It was only by 1982, and while working for Ford in Swansea, that Ken decided to build his own car. Ford had asked Ken to help with the restoration of their own Mk. 3 car that had been involved in a filming accident. As there was no budget for the restoration, Ken agreed to their request, doing the work in his home workshop with the proviso that he was allowed to take moulds off the body panels which he would use to construct his own car (replica). He designed a space frame/semi ladder type chassis which turned out to exceed the required torsional strength and by late 1982 his first, blood red KVA (Kenneth Vincent Attwell) ‘Mk 3’ GT40 ‘look-alike’ was complete and was displayed by Ford in the reception area of their Swansea plant. This car used Ford based suspension, a Ford CVH 1.6 litre engine and VW Variant transaxle. Larger engines like the 2.8 litre V6 or 289 CID V8 with ZF or Renault 30 transaxles were suggested.

Howard Walker of “Motor Magazine” test drove the car and wrote a very complementary article in the October 1983 issue. The front page spread and photographs created a lot of interest. With Ford’s blessing, Ken formed a small company, KVA, and started marketing kits that could be built up as replicas. Ken continued his full time work as Senior Engineer at Ford and as this proved quite stressful, his wife Margaret stepped in run the business. Margaret proved a very capable manager for the KVA business and continued until she retired in 1994 after selling the business to Jules Hoffman of Integrity Motors in Florida USA. The kit was continually improved and in 1985 the Mk.1 body style was introduced.

Calling FiberFab a GT40 with a VW engine and parts is stretching it. GT40 replica or a Cobra should be faithful to size, engine, finish, tub construction, gearbox etc.

Sbarro would be the oldest since he built a few GT40 in 1968. He later built GT40 in 1982.

Safir Engineering LTD (Peter Thorp) GT-40 V were built in 1980. In 1994 at Road America (GT40 Reunion at RA) Thorp and Peter Portante (ERA) talked regarding how difficult was selling GT40 replicas. No much interest. Thorp had a few GT-40V at the reunion with no takers at that time. He later sold Safir to a US interest.

The longest production GT40 replica would be ERA.

On your website it states "Tornado Sports Cars were formed in 1984 and production of our GT40 replica, the TSC GT40, began in 1989"

Cobra Restorers built an ERA GT way before 1989 and ERA delivered a turn key car before 1989.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
I am sure it was confirmed elsewhere on this forum by ERA themselves that 1990 was their start date.

I remember reading an article about their first car. I think it was Performance Car and I still have it somewhere.

I will see if I can find it.

Thanks

Andy

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I raced a Formula V in Zimbabwe in 1984 /1985. I had some work done by Gerrit Radeyemer who ran a VW repair center.
He had a GT40 body (stored in the eaves of his workshop) that was said to have been built on a space chassis with a Porsche Engine and box.

So someone had made some sort of replica in Southern Africa prior to that and as it was already "off the road" probably a fair few years earlier.

Ian

Back