What's the word on film"Go Like Hell"

It is a popular book by AJ Baime, an editor of Playboy.
I enjoyed its easy reading style, not all lap times and innane detail like that, though
I wish it would have continued to 1969 LeMans event.
Anyhow a year or so ago there was talk Michael Mann (Miami Vice) was offered the job of director but haven't heard since if he has accepted the offer. He is also dithering whether to do something on medieval England.
He recently finished a TV series called Luck.
he drives a new GTO Ferrari, one of several he has owned.
I'd like to hear if it's been "green lighted" and who is going to play the major roles like Enzo, Shelby, etc.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Last edited:
Wally was the Beaver's older brother.

The book is wonderful, possibly the best "car" book ever? but does it have wide enough appeal to make a film? (shhhh, don't mention Senna)

If you make it, I will see it.

wish I could be upbeat but no news

Thanks for the inquiry. The TV thing was not actually bought, and I feel Go Like Hell is one of the first car books written for the non-car enthusiast, though Leo Levine's The Dust and The Glory is close but not as succinct. Levine was a newspaper reporte for decades. Probably the entertainment community is waiting to see if
other projects involving auto racing get celebrated (Ron Howard's RUSH about Lauda and Hunt is the next expected) and if they do there will be a spate of them. The interest in mine was only in the whole era of '50s-60s, not CS specifically.
I think these subjects are cyclical in popularity,
for instance, cowboy movies seem to have died off but they will be back. I myself am researching other areas besides cars, the Battle of Britain and the first mach 2 spyplanes-- not worrying about whether the interest in these subjects is strong or not at the present because I might not write a book on those subjects until another few years. I think the author of "Go Like Hell" has one great advantage, being articles editor of Playboy gets your phone calls answered...(hey, got any tickets to the Xmas party at the Playboy mansion...)

Back