My reasearch has started!

Hello Gents!

Thank you in advance for reading my post. I live here in Texas, but before folks start holding that against me, please know that I am a genuine GT40 lover of the highest order. It is my dream to build and own one someday, so now the task of researching what I am getting myself into has started. If everyone will permit me, I have some questions below that will get me started. Some of them might even be good ones!

1) If one chose to do a basic level kit with minimum amount of items included, do the balance of items needed to complete the car have to come from the kit company? For example fuel pumps, servos, brake masters, windshield wiper motors, head lights, etc etc.
2) If the answer to question #1 is no, does anyone have any experience taking this route that could give some advice on how to proceed? It is unfair to expect the OEMs to give me a straight answer as they are in the business of selling parts. I don't hold that against them.
3) I want to build the car myself, so on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the easiest, can someone rate the different manufacturers based on build difficulty?

I think it is important to note, that I am not too interested in what the car is worth once completed. I do not intend to ever sell it. As a matter of fact, my will states that all of my worldly possessions are to be burned along with me when I die Viking style! However, I do not want it to be cheap either.

Again, thanks to everyone for giving me the help!

Robert

1) If one chose to do a basic level kit with minimum amount of items included, do the balance of items needed to complete the car have to come from the kit company?

In most cases no, but some specific items (glass, etc.) often will.

2) If the answer to question #1 is no, does anyone have any experience taking this route that could give some advice on how to proceed? It is unfair to expect the OEMs to give me a straight answer as they are in the business of selling parts. I don't hold that against them.

Actually, my builder (GTForte) gave me a list of other parts needed as well as the alternate suppliers where those parts could be obtained from.

3) I want to build the car myself, so on a scale of 1-10, 1 being the easiest, can someone rate the different manufacturers based on build difficulty?

As not many people build more than one car, it would probably be very difficult to come up with that type of comparison. I suggest you ask folks of various builds and compile a list yourself and post your findings. None of them will be a cakewalk.

What part of TX are you in Robert? I am in the greater DFW area along with some other folks.

Welcome Robert....you have come to the right place with a lot of knowledgeable people.
Just remember most of the cars on this forum did not come from a kit company, but you will find people selling parts on this site.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
I think it is important to note, that I am not too interested in what the car is worth once completed. I do not intend to ever sell it. As a matter of fact, my will states that all of my worldly possessions are to be burned along with me when I die Viking style! However, I do not want it to be cheap either.

Again, thanks to everyone for giving me the help!

Robert

Are you implying you have nobody to leave anything to or that you are simply a selfish (insert curses here) that only lives for self?

Otherwise you could look at Tornado, they have a build manual and apparantely its fit so well together you could easily do it yourself (to a degree?)

I was implying neither actually, but I appreciate the advice about TSC.

May I ask what type you have, or is yours an original.

RChianese,

I also plan on doing a future build and have learned a lot from the knowledgeable people on the forum so ask a lot of questions. Do not pay attention to G-man as you will quickly learn he talks a lot of bull and is not well respected. The only reason that I have not taken the jump yet is because I promised my wife that I would also do my homework first (did not do any homework when I bought a Ferrari and OUCH!!!) and I would wait a couple years until my retirement was secure. You may want to also check out the RCR website.

Last edited:

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Yes listen to Mark who randomly comes on to abuse me over no reason at all. Be carefull of these sort of people as what they say contradicts what they themself do.

Talk to Andy from Tornado and see what you come up with. I have not bought a GT40 but I am in the process. I joined the forum to learn about the vehicle I admire, not because I have one.

If what Andy builds/offers is not the direction of options you are looking, there is always RCR who are also quite helpful and will steer you in the right direction of what can be done and what they themself will not even attempt to get done.

Prices will vary from manufacturers, so, find what you can and see what fits what you want to achieve.

Tornado is what fits me.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
There are a lot of good builders. RCR, Superformance, Tornado, ERA all come to mind. All of these cars have their proponents. And there are the chassis builders such as David Brown, Gelscoe, Mirage, GOX...etc. You have plenty of choices.

The way to be driving the most quickly is to find a roller which is already in the USA and just concentrate on getting the engine and transaxle into it and everything sorted out. If I were going that route I would probably look at an SPF, but to each his own taste. Every make has its satisfied proponents. And of course there will be a lively discussion on the merits of each one, etc. We've all done this enough times that we have our arguments all ready to deploy.....

Looking for an ESTABLISHED dealer near you is a plus, and off-forum contact with owners, satisfied or otherwise, is probably helpful. Have fun, the shopping is one of the more satisfying phases of this whole ridiculous endeavor.

Robert,
You have asked many good questions but please realize that there is also different levels of completion available from some of the manufacturers.
IE you can purchase a bare chassis or a roller or a completed car.
And one of the most challenging aspect of the builds seems to be panel fitment which some of the manufactures will do.
I wish you luck with your search in finding the exact fit for your self.
Regards,
Mark

Robert,
I too am in your shoes. I am compiling as much data to compare the different options. I will post when I am done.

Back