Question regarding the CAV-Spyder GT40

I have posted in the past questioning the history/desirability of a Gt40 Spyder.

As a tall and admittedly claustrophic guy, I think it would be great for a street car;perhaps not so much so for a race car.

ERA has a very nice "prototype" car; but Peter will not even provide pricing info on it??????

Some folks have suggested the SPF cars could be modified for a "targa" roof; which I would love to see. Anyone tried it?

Years ago, CAV built a small number of Spyders. One is for sale in Hemmings Motor News; and I believe has been for sale for quite some time.
Does anyone know how good (or bad) these cars were? Were there problem issues? This particular car has a Getrag transmisson---which I admit to knowing very little about.
Any thoughts?

Thanks-DandyDon

Hi Don,

Probably the only issues would be driving in the wet (which even the "roofed" cars have issues with) and lack of someplace to put your hand when entering exiting the car. One woudl assume the windshield and surround would be reinforced some, but I have heard tales of "rooofed" cars having the windshields pop out when someone put pressure on the windshield frame while getting in/out. "Roofed" cars have other places where you can grab hold for support/leverage, but the spyders do not (unless there is a roll bar/cage loop).

Ray Christopher (the man that started GTD) had a very nice GTD spyder (using a developmental monocoque chassis instead of GTD's normal spaceframe chassis). He used it for competition (hill climbs and such).

Since the roof provides little structural integrity to the over all vehicle, a spyder version would not flex significantly more than a regualr roofed GT40. ERA uses carbon fiber in their roof section to add some stiffness, but I don't think it adds much.

Ian

Andy Sheldon is going to do one for his personal car.

With the C/F chassis it should come in at or below 1650 lbs.

He may be in the mood to do more than just one.

I've seen one of the CAV spyders, and they are very nicely done. There was a yellow one for sale in a showroom in San Diego a few years ago and I looked closely at it. It was very well finished and looked proper in all respects.

I would agree with the above, there's really no structural rigidity added by way of the roof spider on a cav so I don't think the spyder version would be any different than one with a roof.

A great car for sunny day drives!

Thanks Mike----I saw the car on both Ebay and in Hemmings Motor News.

Nice car---LHD------asking $350K.

A little to rich for my blood. Since I'm a "street guy", I would probably go to a 2005/2006 Ford GT for less $$$ and more room.

DandyDon

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Sorry to revive an old thread, where is the SPF spyder up to? Did it get built?

Still at the fabricator. It will be much like this ERA spyder with an original FAV roadster windscreen. We have this ERA available for sale.

Attachments

• Pitts 5-13 008 (1280x960).jpg
    Pitts 5-13 008 (1280x960).jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 360
Back