GTD records

I have GTD frame number GTD4004489. I understand that it was built by the factory in 1991 (?). I have the car for sale by a broker (DC Classic Cars). I have had inquiries from Europe and Canada. The North Carolina title reads 1965 Ford Replica. The replica part causes problems for export. I was thinking if anyone had GTD records that show the car was built in England it would help in overseas sale.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sam

Mike Pass

Supporter
If you can track down Ray Christopher or the other guys who were GTD they may have records. Unfortunately the GTD40 club no longer exists but Paul Thompson (moderator on this forum who ran the website) may still have some info.
Cheers
Mike

Malcolm

Supporter
Sorry Sam that chassis number does not make much sense to me. GTD40 is simple enough. That leaves 04489. in 1989 the chassis numbers began at 13989 and it was a good year for production as they got up to 19889. If you look at 044 then the 44th chassis was built in 1986 which makes the chassis number 4486. Then again GTD40 as a prefix was never used until 1991 and the first was GTD4026991 ie after 268 chassis made. The 44th chassis was put into stock and the buyer is unknown as is whether it was a kit or a completed car. Bugger, I sound sad knowing this crap! :) Anyway hope you get to the bottom of it, and for avoidance of doubt all I say above is not warranted or neccessarily right!

One hint to the early or later chassis is the location of the rear anti roll bar. If it is mounted above the Transmission it is more than likely prior to 1990. If it is mounted below the Tranny it is a later chassis. Also look on the frame work under the servos and around the steering rack for a factory stamped chassis number and see if it is in the format described by Malcom.

My GTD is an exception to that statement ... It is chassis #48, produced in 1986 (as far as I know), and the rear swaybar is under the trans. See the pic (ok its greasy, dirty and so on, but it was before I bought it, 2 weeks ago :thumbsup:)

Attachments

• P1070718-2.jpg
    P1070718-2.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 355
I wont argue the point, but I was at the factory when they were developing the low mount sway bar and that was 1989. I would bet that if you can do some research you will find that you have a newer car than tou think! (or it has been modified by someone)

Picture of sway bar. I found a data plate: chassis No GTD4004489.
Are there any records of origin?

Attachments

• 100_0982[1].jpg
    100_0982[1].jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Have you tried contacting Gordy Goode or Brian Clark? They were the previous owners (Gordy -> Brian -> Gordy in that order).

Ian

I actually bought it from Gordy. He is the one that told me that it was built at the factory. I am hoping to get some confirmation and records.
Thanx
Sam

Gordy

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Sam,

When I got the car it came with a title from Florida. The dealer I bought it from was the one who originally said it was built at the factory.

Brain Clark, who sadly passed away last year, talked me out of the car after three days in my shop. He came to look at another GTD I was building and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. (No, not that offer)

The Florida title was turned in and a new Michigan title was issued to Brian. When I bought it back from him several years later the title was then issued in my name.

While Brian had the car apart we found the number matching that vin plate stamped on the frame. It is under the aluminum cladding (pass. side) across from the master cylinders. He never reattached the vin plate when he replaced the aluminum cladding in the engine compartment, where it was originally located.

Gordy, It is good to hear from you. The Michigan title read "1965 Ford", the title guys in NC put it "1965 Ford Replica" which is causing the export problem.
So from what I have learned this is the 44th chassis build in 89.
Malcolm, I am hoping to prove that it was built in England. If any one knows who ordered the car or has factory records let me know.
Any help will be great.
Sam

Back