Just picked up my GTD40!!!

Last summer I spotted a nice and clean looking GTD40 for sale and contacted owner Ron to learn more about the car and the reason it was for sale. Discussing the car it seemed like a very noce example, albeit a road car and not a track car I was looking for.

After I learned more about the car I contacted both Malcolm and Paul to discuss the possibilities and possible modifications and in the end I also spoke with Mick from Southern GT and Glenn who has the 200 mph Southern GT. Naturally I learned a lot, but it also gave me a better idea what I was looking at and a rough idea what modifications and budget I needed. After some negotiations the deal fell through and I tried to find other GTD's for sale. Most were a lot more expensive or had modifications that were not to my specifications, but the owners wanted a premium for their car.

Seller Ron took his car of the internet for an autumn vacation abroad and I decided to wait till he put the car for sale again on internet and see if we could strike a deal anyway. Happily, after four or five weeks I spotted the same GTD40 on internet and I immediately contacted Ron again. He did have some other interested parties, but most were dealers or people that wanted to part ex boats, motorhomes, you name it.

It turned out Ron and I spoke the same language and had a similar feeling towards cars and motor racing and it felt he wanted me to buy the car. We picked up negotiations and thsi time we struck a deal. Unfortunatelly, Ron and his wife had to leave again for an early winter vacation, which meant I couldn't visit him and see the car for real. Nevertheless, he assured me the car was as good as it looked on the photographs and the way he spoke about the car did indeed give the impression I was talking to someone who cherished his cars.

We settled for the Christmas holiday and right after Boxing day my 9 year old son and I set off for a 1000 miles drive up to Scotland to see the car for the first time. A friend offered his Land Rover Discovery 4.4 V8 together with Brian James RS5 which made the long journey bearable.

When we arrived at Ron's at 08.00 in the morning it had all been worth the long wait and drive. The car looked like it had just been completed by the factory. We went over the car together starting at the front and explaining every detail and modification all the way to the back and it was clear Ron had indeed been a very good custodian for the 40. This made it a lot easier to part with my hard earned money and we loaded the car into the trailer to start the long journey back.

The Discovery hardly seemed to notice the extra 1084 kilos hanging in the back and we easily cruised home. The fact that we missed the train at the Eurotunnel late at night couldn't dampen my enthusiasm, nor my son's although we were happy thay could squeeze us in half way through the night.
After having been awake for 25 hours and having driven for 19 hours I drove the 40 of the trailer, went up and down the street and drove it into the garage. With all the adrenaline flowing through my body I could hardly not sleep at all and after 2,5 hours my brother turned up at the door ta have a look. I think it is only natural and a GT40 does that to people.

Ywo more days have gone by now and every couple of hours I went into the garage to have a look at the car and sometimes just sit in it. Let's hope winter will be over soon.

I put up some pictures and a link to youtube, although it doesn't show how clean and neat the car is.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPtiw_9WoyU]Picking up the GTD40 from Scotland - YouTube[/ame]

John

Attachments

• 2012-12-28 11.08.23.jpg
    2012-12-28 11.08.23.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 680
  • 2012-12-28 11.03.50.jpg
    2012-12-28 11.03.50.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 613
  • 2012-12-27 10.44.04.jpg
    2012-12-27 10.44.04.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 525
Superb, congratulations :thumbsup:

Truly inspiring video for me to see, can't wait until my chassis arrives, got a long way to go before it resembles anything that good though.

Have fun and a happy New Year.

Paul

well done John, looks like a nice car, small-body or is that mid.
and easy in and out in narrow spaces I see :D

I know a very nice LHD 1968/69 body style (a bit wider) GTD for sale for a very very good price, also on older registration and not that far away, shame I don't have the money spare...and euh I don't tell were it is, you never know when I sell my car any soon next year :D

anyways, much fun with your 'new' car.

Thanks guys, I am really thrilled.

Just looked at some pictures Ron sent me back in the summer and this shows the car and engine bay. I realise all the pictures I have so far were taken in Scotland.

@Rene,

Looking at the different bodies of the 40 I first thought I wanted the 1969 body, but when I raced at the Classic Spa 6 hours (in a 1965 Porsche 911) I had a good look at all the different 40's that were there and in the end I decided I first wanted to go for the small body. I will also fit the same tyres they used on the GT40's that were racing there. Hans very kindly supplied me the details of the tyres he is running on his GT40.
I really wanted RHD, as IMHO that is how the GT40's were. I know it is easier driving LHD in our country, but that doesn't really matter to me. I think I will use the car for 'Racing against cancer' in 2013 at the TT circuit in Assen, so you might see me there.

John

Attachments

• ford-1A800.jpg
    ford-1A800.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 2,291
  • gtd40-1 024A800.jpg
    gtd40-1 024A800.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Hi John,
Looks like you have got a good'un there!
Welcome to the community, hope to meet up some time in 2013.
I'll be at SPA in May, maybe then?
Cheers
Paul

Plenty of photo opportunities now :)

thats indeed the best thing, seeing more different Gt40's at the same place so you can see the differences in looks, in your last pictures it looks wide enough.

a, that 'Racing against cancer' is indeed a nice day for car/driver and ofcorse the children with cancer and their close ones.

I was there in 2010 with my car, maybe I take a look if I feel good that day.

there's also another on driving-fun.com who also owns a red GT40, I believe he is also on this forum but not that much, Alt.

Hi John,
...hope to meet up some time in 2013.
I'll be at SPA in May, maybe then?
Cheers
Paul

Hi Paul,

Have to become a member now of the GT40 Enthusiast Club. I'll be at Spa many times as I use Spa a lot to train other drivers. In May I will at least be at the RMA days. Will you be there as well? Or will there be a GT40 Club day as well?

John

John,
A wise man once told me that when you finally get your GT40 you know you are never really finished with it !! Have a ton of fun with it.
Bob

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to the owners club, John! Michael and I of course like the fact that you've picked a red car....

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi John,

Welcome to the ranks of red GTD40 owners. Your car looks a lot cleaner than mine! However I hope you have as much fun with your car as I have had with mine. I hadn't realised that Ron had sold the car as I haven't spoken to him for a while.
I hope you are ready for all the attention you are going to get everywhere you go. From the pics it looks as though you have the BF Goodrich tyres on the car. They are pretty hard and none too grippy so take it easy until you get used to everything. Probably going to be your first upgrade. Lots of good help and advice on here and from the club.
Enjoy!

Cheers
Mike

John, what a great story and one that many of us can relate to.....that being when we know a dream has come true. I hope you enjoy many great drives with her and many great years of ownership. I'm sure your son is as excited as you are and now he's the envy of all his mates. Won't be long and he'll be asking for the keys!

HI John

congratulations to your new baby. Looks good to me.
The vid is very interesting, because it is very clear to hear the difference of your exhaust system to a 180°Crossover system. Sounds much more typical V8, especially in idle.

TOM

Mike Pass

Supporter
The exhaust is the standard non crossover original GTD item. Sounds very different to the crossover type.
Cheers
Mike

Looking good!

Hope to meet up with you soon.
I'm looking at the Spa Classic hiswell. Don't know anything about the Racing against cancer event, I'll have a look into it.

GJ

Back