who's gt40 was on top gear us

I don't know how many of you caught top gear us last night, and i'm almost embarrassed to say i did.. i suppose i'll watch anything with cars on it.. lol
Anywho.. one of the host's drives a replica gt40 on there, and i was wondering if anyone knew who's replica he drove. They made a mention that it was extremely accurate and lots of parts could be interchanged. anywho.. decent vid.. cool cars.. just wondering

thanks

I admit I cringed when the words "kit-car" came up when describing the SPF GT40 which looked and sounded fantastic. The US Top Gear version sad to say is nowwhere near the Brit version IMHO and while the 3 "reporters" try to create some sort of comical bond they appear to be trying too hard to make it all work. It was good viewing to see Tanner drive the legs off the GT 40 which bested the much more modern F-Car by @ 5 seconds on the lap so a massive thumbs up for the 40.

Not impressed with the show though......no way. My DVR automatically records it because I record the Brit version. Top Gear is Top Gear to my DVR even though the US version is a poor representation of the original unlike the SPF which is a very good represntation of the original.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I agree the US version is not even a pimple on the arse of the UK show. I have only watched the US TG twice and it just seems they are "trying too hard" to be "cute". I missed the SPF show so I will need to watch for the rerun............

Malcolm

Supporter
A long time back my GTD was on Top Gear for the overseas market ie not shown in the UK. I think it went out as Top Gear Gti. About four or five of us were involved and it was a fun shoot, not having done TV before. I suspect that this is not what you are refrring to though!!!!

I thought that the car was amazing. Looked great and sounded awesome. When there is a new show, it usually takes a bit for the "actors" to gel, but I am not sure what it will take for the American version to gel. Just not quite there. Kind of like NCIS is way better and more authentic than NCIS LA which is "trying too hard" as well.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...i was wondering if anyone knew who's replica he drove. They made a mention that it was extremely accurate and lots of parts could be interchanged.

Anytime someone references the fact that 90-95% of its parts interchange with an original car, you can bet he's referring to a Superformance '40.

I've never heard any another co. make that claim...nor can they factually as far as I know. :shrug:

Rick?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Well I suppose a Gelscoe car could. The "percent of interchange" thing was beat to death here a couple years ago. Of course it depends on what parts you are counting and I would suspect that if you consider fasteners and such the tally would be lower. I think the real point is I can take a Superformance front upright and put it on an FAV car, I can take the windshield glass and interchange it, I can take the roof spider and weld it to a 1960's car.

I thought the kit car comment was reserved for just the Cobra, LOL. That's all I heard when I owned my cobra. Those 3 words "Is it REAL"

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
God, that show is awful. 24 mins of LeMans? Whoever thought up that idea should just quit. How to take a spectacular car and surround it with 30 mins of the worst television possible.

Malcolm

Supporter
Malcolm,

Can we trace the shoot back on youtube? If so, please post the link!

I had a good dig around and couldn't find it. My copy is on video cassette, it was that long ago! Clarkson, May and Hammond were not ruling the roost back then. The presenter was a chap called Matthew something or other. I have been thinking I need to convert some of my old vdeos to digital to preserve them.

Yeah, Top Gear USA isn't so good.....but hey, come on, they're trying at least, and it might get better. Even as it is, it's better than another episode of some idiotic sitcom, right?

Maybe a little encouragement and support of the show might make the History Channel increase the budget for it - that would help. To get anywhere near the level of sophistication and creativity of the UK version is going to require a much bigger budget.

I thought it was an OK episode - nice to see a GT40 "kit car" ripping it up and beating a newish model f-car around the track. That's all pretty good stuff.

You know, accentuate the positive sort of thing...??

Back