Will there be any GT44 / GT replicas?

Since I've joined this forum a couple of years ago, I've been planning my GT40 build that I'm going to start sooner or later. I love the GT40s and the only really unfortunate thing about them is that I'm 190cm in height and having been sitting in a few GT40s, I know I won't enjoy it much.

Ford has discontinued the GT (GT43/44) and I'm wondering if the replica manufactures are thinking about making Ford GT replicas? They could use a lot of components from the GT40, and a GT replica would be my first choice mainly due to the extra 4" that would allow me to sit in the car comfortably. The replica should be just like the GT40 (no power windows or any fancy stuff that's not required), basically just feature the slightly larger frame of the Ford GT. I know it's not as easy as I state it here, but basically they would only have to modify the chassis and the body.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
In my opinion, anyone wanting to do that would need to licence it through Ford. I would be doubtful if that would be concurred, but always willing to be proven wrong.

There are people of your height in the UK and the US who regularly get in the 40s. Manufacturers offer pedal box extension, dropped floors and Gurney Bubbles. You may need to try one set up in this format before you make a final decision on whether you could fit in or not.

Brett

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So you are roughly 6' 2-1/2" tall...

I am taller than that and fit in my RCR40 without a gurney bubble.

I don't know how much longer the foot box is on an RCR from the other cars out there, but Fran may be able to tell you. As I recall he had fit someone 6'6" in an RCR..

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I'm 6'3" and fit in my Dax
The Dax was slightly taller than a "normal" Gt40 replica but aboout 1"
They added this extra height in the bottom of the doors. So in effect the front and rear clips slope more than in a "normal" replica

that said the Dax cars are really rare with only something like 32 being produced.

I believe Bailey Edwards can get 6'6" into their car
Likewise I have heard CAV can get 6'5" in their car
Superformance I believe can manage about 6'4"

these are all before the Gurney bubble

Ian

In my opinion, anyone wanting to do that would need to licence it through Ford. I would be doubtful if that would be concurred, but always willing to be proven wrong.

There are people of your height in the UK and the US who regularly get in the 40s. Manufacturers offer pedal box extension, dropped floors and Gurney Bubbles. You may need to try one set up in this format before you make a final decision on whether you could fit in or not.

Brett

Yes, I agree, some pretty but useless lawyer would get in the way. There are so many of them that you can't avoid them no matter what you do.

Another possibility would be to make a slightly wider and taller GT40 version. Add a few inches in width and height.

I have been in enough GT40s to know that the little room inside will not make me happy!

Last edited:
Thanks MN12 for that info. I had a look at the build, good stuff! I'd only add a few inches though, not that extreme. Hmm... I'm thinking....

Brisc, Have you actually sat in a CAV car and found there to be not enough space? I've read they have modded their cars (especially the 100+ cars) for someone just like yourself. Might be worth a try. They may not be far from you given your SA location.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Superformance I believe can manage about 6'4"
these are all before the Gurney bubble
Ian

I have an SPF MkII and I'm 6' 2".

I struggled with the seats that came with it and had to remove a lot of foam from the bottom and back when I first got it from Olthoff.
I ended up making my own seats with hardly any foam on the bottom and back.

If I am in the car positioned comfortably, my head is far enough back that a Gurney bubble wouldn't help.

I feel a lot of it is to do with legs vs torso proportions.... My legs are long, so I need to be back as far as I can be so that my knees don't bang on the dash.

With the seats I have now, it's more of a pain getting in with the side bolsters, but I'm pretty comfortable with a helmet on now.

FWIW,
Kirby

Yes, I agree, some pretty but useless lawyer would get in the way. There are so many of them that you can't avoid them no matter what you do.

No not at all. It's not about that, it's also about brand protection and intellectual property. Ford are still duty bound to provide parts for these cars in many cases due to when they last were sold, so allowing someone to build a replica may have implications i.e. someone may try putting the replica parts on their real one, or if someone trashes the replica with unfortunate serious consequences, people only see the Ford, not the replica.

I have to remind people, I do work for the company and the above is my personal opinion.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have an SPF MkII and I'm 6' 2".

I struggled with the seats that came with it and had to remove a lot of foam from the bottom and back when I first got it from Olthoff.
I ended up making my own seats with hardly any foam on the bottom and back.

If I am in the car positioned comfortably, my head is far enough back that a Gurney bubble wouldn't help.

I feel a lot of it is to do with legs vs torso proportions.... My legs are long, so I need to be back as far as I can be so that my knees don't bang on the dash.

With the seats I have now, it's more of a pain getting in with the side bolsters, but I'm pretty comfortable with a helmet on now.

FWIW,
Kirby

Thanks Kirby
I have only sat in a SPF once and managed to get in and close the door. It was tight but I am 6'3" and 18 plus stone.

Would I be comfortable on a run I really cannot say as it was at a show!

Ian

Back