Shipping Question

Hello All, I just joined the forum and would like to ask a question. I have just come into possesion of a gtd40 whch is in England and ready to be shipped over to Florida. The shipping company want to know the ground clearance at the front and the distance from there to the front wheel centerline. Would any of you good people be able to provide this?
Also, any advise on the perils and pitfalls of shipping from UK to US would be appreciated. The car has a date of first registration of 1971.

Hi Frank,

I can't shed any light on the measurements you need but would like to say WELCOME to the forum. I know you will enjoy your new ride.

These measurments will vary from car to car. My GTD has 5 inches of ground clearance at the front and it is about 44 inches from the most forward point of the car to the frony wheel centerline.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Frank,

Unfortunatlely, I'm not in a position to help much with measurements because my car is not here.
However, maybe a bit of advice if shipping a car like a GT40.
I would increase the ground clearance as much as possible to give better access to the underside of the car for tie downs as well as just a bit more comfort room as it is rolled up and over ramps etc.

If you could have the selling party put a hose clamp against each of the spring adjusters as shown in the picture below, you can then have him jack the car up and spin the adjusters away from the clamps thereby raising the ride height of the car. Once the car is in your posession, you simply jack the car up, spin the spring adjusters back to the point of contacting the clamps and the car is now back at the original ride height.
I used to do this all the time when loading my Cobra racecar in/out of the trailer.

IMG_0900.jpg

Back