Who makes the best GT40?

I am uninformed regarding the quality of the GT40 kits that are available today...I would like to either build one or buy one that is done. Which Kit cars are recommended? Any to stay away from? Thanks in advance! A friend of mine has an ERA Cobra...a very nicely engineered car.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm, a tough question that will get you very subjective answers methinks.
Do you want a space frame or a mono? I live in Australia and my car is a DRB, and I can highly recommend them. I think that most that are still in business make a high quality product.

Ford did.... but they are expensive

Joking aside, I recommend searching around to find what you think is the best. All of these cars have their pros and cons including cost, availability, authenticity, etc... it is more about what you are looking for in a car vs. being the "best". Actually one might suggest that if you define what you think "best" equals the folks on the forum can probably point you to the replica/builder that offers an experience nearest to what you are looking for.

In my humble opinion I think the best GT40 is the one in your garage...

Kevin

A loaded question. I think ERA is no longer making their 40. A friend of mine recently bought the last one I'd seen for sell in years.

You'll see CAVs here. And others I've not seen. The few MkIVs I've seen at Olthoffs shop are impressive duplicates, but specialized. $$$,$$$.

Read the links here to see the 'Kit' car construction and skill sets required. Some 'scratch build' their cars. True craftsman with great ability. I wish I had the skills and time they do.

I like Superformance (4). While not a 'kit' they come minus engine & trans-axle. Pick your power. Also if your interested, they carry the VIN continuation # sequence and are SHELBY Registered. The wait for a new one is a year. MkIs are not up for sell that often as their owners don't let them out of their fingers. You can get an 'R' version and go vintage racing if you want. I like the MkII with a 427FE and goobs of torque. SAI will also sell you one of theirs with SHELBY tags.

I've seen several of the MkIVs at Olthoffs. Special builds used mostly for the track. Holman-Moody can supply you with a nice car.

If you can, when you can, take a ride in one of the cars. Remember, they are replicas of race cars and make the sounds race cars make. No rubber bushing but metal to metal Heim joints. AC is there because they tend to get hot in the cockpit. I think the cars that come up for sell, are at the urging of a spouse. Too loud, they have to wear pants to exit, or maybe to uncomfortable.

Go look at the cars and hopefully ride in one....to drive one is heaven.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Ford did.... but they are expensive

Joking aside, I recommend searching around to find what you think is the best. All of these cars have their pros and cons including cost, availability, authenticity, etc... it is more about what you are looking for in a car vs. being the "best". Actually one might suggest that if you define what you think "best" equals the folks on the forum can probably point you to the replica/builder that offers an experience nearest to what you are looking for.

In my humble opinion I think the best GT40 is the one in your garage...

Kevin

SPOT ON from top to bottom... :thumbsup:

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the manufactures still in production, and if you will consider buying used, there are others that may be just as good.

In a broad sense, youy wallet may determine which cars you look at as much as any sense of originality. Prices can range quite a bit, depending on how the car is finished off. Nowadays, you may or may not save any money buying an unfinished/kit car versus a "lightly used" one. Below is a rough summary of what you can expect to pay for a finished car. Of course this is my observation, and others will certainly have their own (probably more accurate) opinions.

Typically, space-frame cars go for a little less (lets say $55K to $75K or maybe $85K), and mono cars a little more (say $70K to the sky's the limit..what's HM asking for their Mark IIs...half million?). Gelscoe (UK) is several hundred thousand dollars, while SPFs run $85K to $150K (though I haven't actually seen one sell for $150K, there is a completed car being advertised for that right now).

Like everyone else, I'm hesitant to say which is best. Aside from originality, the ability to get FIA papers is considered an advantage by some, and this can be had with any of the upper end cars if built to spec (ie SPF, Gelscoe, Holman-Moody). CAV makes a very nice mono, but I'm not aware that they can get "papers". There are also several other very nice, but very low volume mono builders (GOX, etc). But these are only rarely available, and I'd guess priced in the SPF range +/-.

So there's my take on the market. Had you been looking 3 years ago, you could have really picked up some bargins. While they still exist, they are becoming few and far between.

If you're a "Dan Gureny"-sized individual, try to sit in some cars, it may narrow your focus. If you're "Jacy Ickx"-sized, you'll fit just fine in any of them.

That's my take. The humt is half the fun.

I like RCR...American built and a Michigan company.
RCR builds a great car and Fran and his crew are great people.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Kevin stole my thunder, my answer would have been Ford, but being a guy with no heart I will say mine is the best made. HA! You got the money I got the time.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Part of the answer should be based on your ability to build a car in terms of both skill and time. I've heard nothing but positive things about RCR, but I wouldn't trust my own abilities to build one. I have a neighbor who has a Factory Five car (not a GT40) partially built in his garage, and it hasn't progressed in several years because of his travel schedule. For me, Superformance was the right answer. But everyone is different based on their background and abilities.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Enough of the dancing around the PC bush! Let's be truthful and honest here gentlemen. Superformance by far and away is clearly the best!

CAV, CAV, CAV, CAV......CAV, IMO. :thumbsup: Starting to see a pattern here Bill. Sorry mate, but as someone above me said...bit of a loaded question that has been bantered around many times here on the forum. Its pretty much what YOU want & what YOU can afford. Most of the established firms have thier pro's and con's. I love the CAV for its Stainless Steel Mono Chassis (a true work of art) and "larger" interior. You really should drive one first. You know the car has intoxicating looks but some find after driving them they are a very close fit, they are too hot, and too noisey. Too me, its part of the cars charm. Each to his own. Good Luck no matter which way you go.

Back