And so it begins - Changes to 2161

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Re: And so it begins

Mike - I look forward to seeing the changes you're making. It looks like you're beginning to get some nice weather, so I hope your car isn't in the shop too long....

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Mike - I look forward to seeing the changes you're making. It looks like you're beginning to get some nice weather, so I hope your car isn't in the shop too long....

I got a late start by 6 weeks or so when my mom had some health issues that I needed to focus on. I'm expecting around 8 weeks to completion which points to a July 4th weekend debut when is about par for the last few years. I'm okay with that for one more year I guess but next year it will come out of hibernation middle in of May for sure. There is still a lot of sand on the roads in Colorado due to some big late season snows.

Lovely car, Mike.
So how long were you sealed inside the car, inside the trailor !
Regards Steve

Believe it or not there is a way to ingress and egress these cars in a trailer. My friend Paul down at Olthoffs showed me the trick of climbing over the front of the door. I'm 6'2 but can still wiggle into it without much trouble with a little patience and a strategically placed handle on the roof of the trailer. To answer your question maybe a minute or two :)

Race Ramps :idea:
Not feeling the 2x10 ramps ha? I hear you and that is on my list. I'm in the trailer 2 times a year once in the fall to haul it up the mountain to the chalet for winter and once down in the spring. Its pretty routine but you're right, race ramps would be nice to have.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

I use boards and what ever I can find and sometimes a ditch works well too.

Care to share what you have up your sleeve modification wise? Your car sounds great!

Hope your mom is OK.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Jack, I am going to paint it. Many ask what I am thinking and that I should leave it red. I have found color and livery taste to be widely varied and am going to paint it what I like. It could be a take off of the 1038 Essex Wire car but quite a bit different. It could be linden green. It could still be a 1074 scheme but they are so over done for my liking. We've sprayed out a couple of test panels and I will have to decide in a week or so as the car is being disassembled now. Most mechanicals I completed last year so other than a few tweaks here or there probably not much. Mom broke her hip and had partial replacement but it doing great. Dad is having issues with his heart. So difficult watching your parents get old. I guess we're next.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter

I guess we're next.

Count on it...that is if you somehow manage to survive your various antics and actually live long enough to grow old...! :stunned:

Mom broke her hip and had partial replacement but it doing great. Dad is having issues with his heart.

'Been there & done that as well. 'Looks like we have more than a thing or two in common in this area... :sad:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Prep work has begun

182721_576753295689430_388233852_n.jpg

321374_576753499022743_1274226560_n.jpg

601886_576761999021893_1592101883_n.jpg

Ramps? - Here's what I used as an inexpensive and effective solution for use as ramp extensions with my car trailer. Very strong, Add Home Depot storm door handles for easier mobility. Just enough to keep the bodywork from scraping on the pavement during loading.

Attachments

• ramp dimensions.jpg
    ramp dimensions.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:

I am excited to see the transformation.. could it be Linden Green? I am still struck by that color but don't have the balls to paint mine like that.

Believe it or not there is a way to ingress and egress these cars in a trailer. My friend Paul down at Olthoffs showed me the trick of climbing over the front of the door. I'm 6'2 but can still wiggle into it without much trouble with a little patience and a strategically placed handle on the roof of the trailer. To answer your question maybe a minute or two :)

I definately would like to see a video of that! :thumbsup:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter

My guess
Turning it into a race car and trying to shed weight
The pictures are all the bits you are throwing away!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ian

Back