Choosing color for gt40 MKI

Hi Guys, new to this forum, but long time reader, i am a bit of a american Muscle car collector and my latest project is the MKI GT40, i have just completed the build and ready for registration. its an RF GT40. for the last 2 years i have always been sure of the color scheme i wanted. but now its crunch time and need to make a decision. i have no got it painted in the golf blue as a base color. But i have relised that the gulf blue and orange strip wont look good with out the decals and the roundels. Thi sin effect will make it looking like a track car, and would look a little funny driving it around as a weekend car. I am open to suggestions to what color i should paint the car... White (with blue stripes)? silver (with blue stripes)? red? i am really confused.

also something that would be good for resale value.

Cheers guy!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
An Official Welcome to GT40s.com!

There's a lot behind the old slogan "Resale Red"..

I agree with Jim that metallic paints don't really suit the cars in that they are not really period correct. However, I've seen many painted in metallics that do look nice.

The shape of the GT40 will look stunning in whatever color you choose.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I'd suggest a light colour as these cars are hot enough and you don't really need a dark car absorbing more heat on a good sunny day.

Other than that - as Randy says they all look good!

Ian

I`m in same situation, but not soon because i´m so lazy to do my car... :shy:
I usually paint my cars white or yellow, non-metallic colors, but i think original 60`s metallic colors suits well too. Think about colors like Brittany Blue Metallic or Silver Blue Metallic. Very period-looking?

Metallic paint highlights 40`s curvy body, non-metallic can make it look like, in worst case, maybe little bit flat/plastic?

Ps. Red suits very well, but it out of question in my case because of F-word :)

Jack+Andrys+365+photo+20.0.jpg

I kind of agree in regards to a light color.. and metallic i am not sure about..What do you guys think of this color? that's what i am leaning towards?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You are correct Mike in that there were some gold and silver hue paints back then. The colors I was speaking of would be more what's commonly referred to as "Candy" colors where the paint job is done with a base color that's usually silver, gold or bronze, then overlayed with a translucent color such as blue or red or (pick your favorite and insert here)..
Most (not all) competition cars back in the day were painted with economy and quick repair in mind. Then there were those that were painted in specific livery colors that matched the sponsoring corporations colors..

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mark, the white is quite striking to be sure, but have you ever owned a solid white car and washed it out in the sunlight? Better get your dark glasses!! :)

That said - it is still beautiful...

Thanx for your welcoming message Randy...Do you have any examples of a candy color?? what do you mean exactly?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thanx for your welcoming message Randy...Do you have any examples of a candy color?? what do you mean exactly?

Here is one picture of my old Cobra racecar. It was painted Ford Sonic Blue - which is a newer base-coat clear-coat paint and not a two stage Candy Blue, but very close..

IMG_0930c.jpg

Check out some of the images in this search and you'll see plenty of examples..

candy blue paint - Bing

RANDY, i think you are right in regards to a solid white color, i currently own a ac cobra in blue and silver i absolutely love the color however, it is painted in metallic and i am not to sure if metallic would suit that style of car. i also have to keep in mind that if i do need to sell the car one day, i want to make sure that it does not look out of place. I have spent a fair amount of money on trying to make it look as original as possible...

Due to the heat factor I would also stay away from darker colors.
This blue & silver color combo really gets it for me..

Attachments

• 559483_426266680769962_823906636_n.jpg
    559483_426266680769962_823906636_n.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,738

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I am having mine painted as I speak. I spent months going back and forth with different colors and schemes and asking people for their thoughts. The first thing I will say is that taste is a varied commodity. Asking others what they like seems pointless to me because for every ten people you ask, you will get ten different answers. Paint the color that looks good to YOU. These cars in my own humble opinion should be painted in a period correct livery. Use Google to search images. I especially like to look through the images from some of the historic racing events that happen today. If you like white take a look at this one. This is a Gelscoe car that had has had some photo post processing done to alter the tone of the reds on the Essex Wire car. I came very close to painting mine like this. I will say that the outcome of a paint job will depend on in my opinion a few fine details and differences in tone. I would recommend you have you painter spray out several variations on larger panels so you can take a look and see works and what doesn't. Good luck!

white.jpg

I realy like the livery, as in the picture above, of Adrian Newey's car P1010. (For those who don't know, shame on you, he is the Formula 1 Engineer for Red Bull and owner of P1010).

Maybe also check out the Linden Green!

Both are kinda my favorites.

GJ

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Maybe also check out the Linden Green!
No, don't do that haha! I am painting mine in that color with some minor variations. To see that car look up David Forsbrey's GT40. Another fantastic livery is Shawn Lynn's Tesie GT40.

Back