Looking for a GT 40

Rob Klein

Supporter
Years ago I had a deposit on a ERA GT 40, but got a wild hair and decided to buy a F-360. Now I am back to the GT cars and called Peter, but was dissapointed to learn no more cars were available.

I am not sure the GEL cars, although they are amazing, are going to be in my budget. I would like to keep the car under $150K, but I want a really authentic car.

I like the CAV cars, I like the Superformance cars, are these top dog now that ERA is out of the picture.

and are GEL cars the only car with a metal roof and pillars? Have to admit that is a nice feature

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The Superformance GTs have a steel pressed roof and pillars ("Spider") as do the Gelscoe cars, the Brown chassis', the GOX and a few other low volume "original type" tub builders.

What specs are you looking for? Street or track? LHD or RHD?

If you would like a Superformance spec sheet and brochure contact me.

I might be willing to part with mine!

John

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Your_GT40_Best.jpg
    Your_GT40_Best.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 332
  • Your_New_GT40_Best.JPG
    Your_New_GT40_Best.JPG
    322.8 KB · Views: 370
RJKlein, if originality is your priority then probably your best bet for that budget is a Superformance car. They are quite close to original. The CAVs and RCRs not so much, but still very, very nice cars. Just my $.02.

Ron Earp

Admin
I like the Superformance cars, are these top dog now that ERA is out of the picture.

I believe you'll find that most felt they were "top dog" when compared to ERA. There are many attributes toward originality that the Superformance cars possess that the ERA did not have.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I would like to keep the car under $150K, but I want a really authentic car.

You can build a very nice and very accurate Superformance for under $150k. You can get a sense of how accurate they are out of the box from this post; http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/34278-spf-gt40-genesis.html#post338717

The only really difficult issue in my opinion is when you choose a Mk-II and are bothered by putting in a ZF transaxle instead of a T-44. Solving that will take you over $150K, but not by much.

ERA was in the process of making a T44. Not sure if they completed it. If so, You could have a Superformance/ERA cat that would be really accurate, LOL...

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
T44s ARE available, but the price is staggering. Mike Teske has them. Last price I remember hearing was 40K.

Of course it will take anything you can put through it, but you may not have enough left over for an engine...

Rob Klein

Supporter
so lets just say you have two cars in front of you. The keys are in both what car would you drive away with ERA vs SPF.

Neither, I'd buy a CAV and did! OK, I know that's a smart ass answer.....probably a RHD ERA. I like the interior better and I think the build quality is just a touch sharper. They've also been around quite a while and their reputation has never faltered in all that I've read. Their numbers are low, their reputation high, they're really from a "individual hand-built" car company who seems to stand behind all they do. I know the GT's are not made anymore either so they become even rarer now and I think will always hold their value. So, why didn't I buy one....I couldn't find one for the money I had to spend at that time. Good Luck in your selection.

Howard Jones

Supporter
How about a SPF Mk2 with a aluminum block/head FE and a 4 speed 930 Porsche. A 930 box done as a first class build with a quaife TBD and all the good parts along with a proper twin disk clutch/TOB, starter, flywheel, and 930 CV joints is about as strong as anything available short of a modern race only Grbx.

If it was my money I wouldn't put a iron FE in a GT40. Just too heavy. The aluminum block and heads will save way more than 100 pounds. Maybe even paint the block and heads blue.

A couple of vendors on this site can source/build you a Porsche that would be perfect for much less that half of the cost of a T44. I would ask about a side shift adapter/system and if they can be used with a 930. At least the basic original concept, FE with a 4 speed would be there and from the drivers seat it would sure feel like the original MK2. At about 550hp the engine would last forever and the Grbx would live a nice long life.

As stated I think this build can be done for less than your budget of $150K. Maybe even quite a bit less. Just an idea that could be done without a huge amount of sourcing issues.

Rob, I purchased a used ERA Mk II about five years ago , a fantastic car . . . after I got it sorted out rebuilt ZF, installed stiffer valve springs on the 302, Avon tires and more. Assistance from the guys at ERA was great. With that said, I lost my eyesight in Feb., but it's gradually coming back, but it's not good enough to even drive on the Interstates, let alone fly or drive the GT40 or Cobra. But I may have to sell . . . .stay tuned.

Back