Show Sign?

Has anyone made a sign for a car show? I got myself invited to a show and I was thinking of making a sign for my car, but I'm not sure what to put on it (history of GT40s in general and the history of my car?)

Does anyone have suggestions? Or photos of signs they've seen at car shows?

Thanks.

Hi Ben

Here's my attempt. Only slight problem is its in French, as I take the car to various French car shows. The size is A4, so it fits in the windscreen OK. There is also a watermarked picture of the car as a background, but that hasn't come out too well on the scan.

I did also try doing one with various other photos, but that seemed too complex, so I've tended to stick with this more abbreviated form. Seems to be OK as many people spend the time reading it, and you can always go into more detail having a conversation with them.

I've tended to concentrate on my particular car, rather than going into detail about GT40's. Except to say it won Le Mans 4 times in a row. I've also given a brief history of my car, with things like I'm on my second engine and gearbox. Also one of my high spots was driving the car round the full circuit at the Le Mans Classic 2010.

Hope this gives an idea.

Stephen

Attachments

• ShowCard.pdf
    624.1 KB · Views: 225
Ben, I have several signs and photos and for indoors shows I have a 7 foot by 7 foot exhibition display with 40+ photos and little bits of info about the original cars plus the spec of my own MDA Mk 1. This proves very popular and gives people the opportunity to see and read about the marque. I am in the process of making a flag to fly alongside the car at outside shows. This is on one of those extendable poles (6 metres) with a spike to keep it upright but as yet I have not gone further with a design, words or logo, although I am thinking something similar to the GT40's logo on the enthusiasts club site and the simple GT40 with the twin stripes at either side.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
This one was posted some time back by someone on here. Very informative...

Attachments

• gt3420.jpg
    gt3420.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 255
Well thought out sign but do my eyes read it right......2 speed gearbox?? Is that correct?

Hi Jim,

Yes, a 2 speed auto was tried once or twice in period. I can't recall which chassis number without delving into the book case though !

I can't imagine our friend has such a transmission in his car, or does he ?

Regards Steve

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Just one 'minor' point re: car show signs:

No matter what sign you end up with, ensure that said sign has a 'foot' beneath it that you can drive a tire (tyre) onto in order to keep the darn sign from falling over onto your car in the wind.

Don't ask me how I know that...

For the best looking show signs in the world go to davidgphotography.com Custom photography ..classic & vintage cars and you will see. He can use your photos in most cases. On the description and wording keep it simple, no one, or most people at a car show don't care about it's demensions or the phone number of the painter, so keep it brief. The sign will look better also. He is located in Sandy, Oregon, just outside Portland. Go to auto signs page 121-130 to see a pair of GT40's (#6 is mine)

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I got a few ideas for the sign.

If you live in the US, Staples is having a $10 sale on 27"x18" yard signs ($7 for 18"x12"). so I thought I'd take advantage of the sale to make a sign for my car.

Back