Keeping original MSO

I have a close friend purchasing a Ford GT in California from a broker who has the original MSO. The buyer would like to keep the original MSO along with the window sticker... Buyer does not have dealers license. The broker states he is required to turn in the MSO along with the appropriate dealer paper work to DMV if buyer registers in state. Buyer is not trying to avoid state sales tax and is prepared to pay the proper amount to California, buyer just wants to keep original MSO. If buyer provides an out of state address, broker can release MSO to buyer. Buyer will then need to turn over MSO to DMV in state he registers; unless of course buyer misplaces MSO. Buyer was told by broker that without MSO, it would be virtually impossible to register Ford GT anywhere. Any advice for my friend?

Have a certified copy made by a notary. That may work and he can keep the original.

Sounds reasonable, but get it in writing from the DMV before proceeding...but having said that, the seller sounds like a tool. There are plenty of other Ford GTs out there. Personally, I'd tell the seller he's welcome to keep his MSO *and* his car; if he wants my cash he needs to turn over everything he has.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The "MSO" is the "birth certificate" for a vehicle.

I am not aware of any state that will allow you to "keep" the MSO. Look at this scenario: You manage to keep the document and register your GT.......some years on you sell the GT off. With the original MSO you can now go to the DMV, register the GT and procure a title for same. You now can claim ownership of the car you sold off! There would be multiple "valid" titles for the car. This is why that is not allowed. I doubt any state will register and title a car that has not previously been titled without surrendering the MSO.

Tell him to make a good color copy and get a life. That is why I chuckle every time I see a new continuation Shelby Cobra advertised with "MSO signed by Carroll Shelby" when the "original" signature will be surrendered to the DMV!

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I know that California has accepted a copy of the MSO.

Some MSO's, like those issued by Shelby, are not very sophisticated and the difference between a copy and the original is almost impossible to tell.

This was true about 10 years ago anyway.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
In Oregon, the MSO is what I had to trade in to obtain the title. You get one or the other, lest you have the issue Rick referred to regarding multiple "legitimate" owners. That's not to say it won't ever happen but I certainly wouldn't want a $ix figure car that I couldn't register!

Chris

It sounds like this seller has an extreme case of cranial rectidas! I purchased a GT40 that was built/registered in Ca. and has the SB100 certificate also. It was in Navada where I bought it, then hauled it to Washington where I titled it using the MSO that came with it to get 1966 licensing and tabs for it. All is well as like said above, the MSO is the statement from the manufacture of "what" it is and what year it represents in our cases.

Back