GT40 Body Model

Hi guys,

I've been working with Boris (email [email protected]) over the past few months, as he constructs a high-quality body shell in CAD to make available for us all. Many of you have probably downloaded his original shell, available on GrabCad and a few other sites, from a few years ago. The interest in that model, which was an early CAD surfacing experiment for him, had inspired him to start a new model of much higher quality. The old model was good for paint scheme previews, general visuals of proposed aero modifications, etc... that owners wanted to make, but this model is to a much higher level of detail.

I've been feeding him general MK1 form information and guiding notes so he can get an accurate body representation of the original car. Basically, taking calipers to the body shell and trying to get accurate form info. Some of the more complex areas, such as the air ducts on the rear shell, still need a lot of work. He is also doing dash form models, on this, etc.

Any information you could provide to him for body shape, windscreen shape, etc. (Basically these 3D curves that are very diffcult to determine from 2D layouts) would be helpful. Most of the scratchbuilders here work off of template packs when laying out body lines, and it'd be great for them to have a very accurate starting point for them!

Here's a link to a small model build thread he has going:
GT40

And here's a few pictures:

54.jpg

55.jpg

For a guy who doesn't have much of a chance of ever owning one of these cars, this is a project of passion, and he is taking an enormous amount of time to meticulously produce something we can hopefully all benefit from. What a nice community!

Very impressive work!

I partly modelled a shell in Solidworks but ran out of talent (as well as memory and processing power!)

Right now I'm making a quick cardboard template of the transitional scoop shape at the end of the door. I'm also a day behind because of work (Sorry Boris!).

I can't tell you how awesome it is to have both a frame model (laboriously produced over a few weekends) and Boris's body model to drop on top of it. For a guy like me who spends most of his time away with work, being able to play with part design while on the road, and then be ready to start making sparks the minute I step into the garage, is a huge benefit.

Charlie M

Supporter
His work is amazing. I've done a lot of CAD work but never any complex surfacing like that. Well done!

I started designing a space frame chassis a while back and I would love to have a copy of his body model to put on it. I have a complete MkI body and dash in the garage and I would be happy to contribute any dimensions he needs.

Charlie

Back