Ford GT + Viper

Just brought home our 2006 Tungsten Ford GT and loving it. I'm enjoying the new car experience after all these years of collecting and playing with cars from the 50's, 60's and early 70's. I'm appreciating the new car amenities so much that I'm considering purchasing a Viper now. Just from what I've read I'm thinking about a 2008-9 due to the higher horse power and thinking the car is more refined than earlier cars. Any Ford GT owner that also own Vipers who would like to chime in?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I think there are several over on the fordgtforum.com. I liked my GT. I love my GT40.

IMO, an 09 viper will be a slight disappointment compared to a Ford GT. I've never driven a newer viper but I've been under a couple. From an engineering standpoint the ford product is far superior.

Rich: I'm prepared to have the Ford GT outshine the Viper. Question is, is the Viper still worth having? Are the 08-09's problematic...

Rich: I'm prepared to have the Ford GT outshine the Viper. Question is, is the Viper still worth having? Are the 08-09's problematic...

Nothing problematic but build quality isn't on par with the GT. Vipers are pretty stout, strong tranny and diff, motor responds well to FI if your so inclined and they definitely look the part but there's just a lot more thought put into the GT. If it were my money I'd look into a 10 GT-R, not the greatest to look at but for the $$$ you can't beat the performance. Stock for stock they do most everything as good, if not better, than a Viper.

If that's not your cup of tea how about a ZR-1. Used they are another performance bargain.

Having owned a Viper I can say without any hesitation that the last Generation is as close to a real GT40 that you can get. Absolutely no modern driving assistance and fast as hell. What could possibly go wrong?

Having owned a Viper I can say without any hesitation that the last Generation is as close to a real GT40 that you can get. Absolutely no modern driving assistance and fast as hell. What could possibly go wrong?

ABS and power steering are just two of the driving aids, off the top of my head, that all Vipers have had since 2001. No "real" GT40 had either.......nor do most of the re-incarnations here.

Back