I want a Superformance GT40.

Hey all.

My name is Steve and I am new to these forums.

I am currently just a dreamer, however my desire for a GT40 is so high that I know that I will end up owning one sooner or later and I have a few questions.

After doing a lot of research, I have decided that I want a Superformance GT40 as they are the closest to the original in my opinion and I am not sure if I have the skill set to build a complete kit car.

I live in Australia. I understand that Superformance build their cars as a rolling shell and that is how it is delivered.
I was wondering if there is any option for them to build it as a complete car with engine & transmission and whether or not they deliver to Australia. If so, is it expensive to get the car shipped over?

Also, if any Aussie owners read this, is it much trouble registering a GT40 in Australia? When I have one I would like to have it road registered as I do not wish for it to be any garage queen.
I will drive it at least once a week and take it to the track a few times a year. I'm in a car club but I'm not sure if the Superformance GT40 can be put under club rego as it is not technically more than 25 years old.
Any information on this will be greatly appreciated also.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Yes,
It is possible to supply a completed GT40 to you to your specification. The legalities of import to OZ however will be entirely on you. We can supply the car ex-works or FOB USA ready to go with your choice of engine and options, but we cannot handle the Aussie registration and inspection requirements so it may be difficult on your end. We can arrange the shipping etc. to a Aussie port for you.

You are welcome to PM or email for details (rick(AT)timemachinesauto.com)

Yes,
It is possible to supply a completed GT40 to you to your specification. The legalities of import to OZ however will be entirely on you. We can supply the car ex-works or FOB USA ready to go with your choice of engine and options, but we cannot handle the Aussie registration and inspection requirements so it may be difficult on your end. We can arrange the shipping etc. to a Aussie port for you.

You are welcome to PM or email for details (rick(AT)timemachinesauto.com)

Thanks for the info!

My main concern was whether or not you guys offer to install engine & tranny and whether or not you ship to Australia. It's awesome to know that you do both.

Well I was talking to a friend earlier who is currently building a Cobra and he has been through the process before and he informed me that you can register replica models under the year make of the originals meaning I can go onto a club registration and have more room to play as far as emission and roadworthy laws go.

Anyway, I'll be in touch when I have the money :D

Mike Pass

Supporter
I suggest you contact Hitech Automotive in Port Elizabeth, South Africa and ask where the nearest agent is to you or if you can buy direct. I think they usually supply a Roush engine in their cars and an RBT gearbox. You will need to find out the situation as regards import cars into your country to ensure you get it right.
I have to say I was very impressed with the people and the cars when I visited the factory a few years back.
Cheers
Mike

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi Tech is only the manufacturer of the Superformance product line, they do not retail the product. The Superformance brand is distributed worldwide from the USA (not that the chassis must come to the US, but the distributor to dealer transaction is done in the USA).

You have your choice of any engine builder/supplier, you in no way are limited to Roush or any other crate engine.

Hi Tech is only the manufacturer of the Superformance product line, they do not retail the product. The Superformance brand is distributed worldwide from the USA (not that the chassis must come to the US, but the distributor to dealer transaction is done in the USA).

You have your choice of any engine builder/supplier, you in no way are limited to Roush or any other crate engine.

If it ends up being possible to get one of these things shipped over and registered, I would probably go down the ROUSH path anyway. The 427 sounds like a great motor and puts out the sort of numbers that i would want.

It's all going to depend on my budget in the end.

Steve,
I have just got my Superformance GT40 registered and on the road here in Australia (Melbourne) and I dealt through the Australian agent, Cobra Tech. It actualy took me nearly 2 years from the time I placed the order to the time it was finished and ready for registration, but let me tell you; it was worth every second of waiting.
Robert.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
If you're chasing an original type look, you might want to consider a 302 based motor. You can punch it to 363 and it can make pretty stupid power.

My $0.02 priced for value.

Hey Rob and Rob.

Rob I have sent you an email seeking some further information as you requested in your PM. Well if all my plans succeed it will be about a year and a half before I can afford one

You are the luckiest guy in Australia in my opinion. I know I'm a noob but as far as GT40's go I can't imagine that it gets much better than a Superformance.

Other Rob: Australia has stupidly strict emission laws and if I had any hope of registering a Superformance over here I would have to put a motor already used in an Australian production car. Which is ok because there are some damn good V8's available, especially the supercharged coyote.
As long as the outside looks close to original I will be happy.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Steve,

I have a Roush 342R in P2264, the small block is smaller, lighter and cooler, plus the big advantage, it does not block the rear window at all!

I find that its 450HP & 425LBS TQ are way more than enough.

I know some folks have had issues with Roush, but mine has 40,000 miles on it and runs great!

Steve,

I have a Roush 342R in P2264, the small block is smaller, lighter and cooler, plus the big advantage, it does not block the rear window at all!

I find that its 450HP & 425LBS TQ are way more than enough.

I know some folks have had issues with Roush, but mine has 40,000 miles on it and runs great!

I do love the look and sound as well as performance of the Roush engine but if I get the car delivered with a US engine I doubt that I will be able to ever get it registered.

I have a question for you Aussie guys.

While I will most likely go for a Superformance, I also like the idea of building a car and the Roaring Forties seems to be one of the best in Australia.

However, I was wondering if the RF kits can be raced in CAMS/AASA events?

The same question goes for the Superformance GT40, though I think I remember reading some where that they can be raced.

Hi Steve,

When you say super performance..what are you trying to achieve... yes they used to race back in the le mans but bose or high performance engines never existed.... nothing like the 700 hp engines you find in todays mustangs.

I have a roaring forties, but have a standard 302 windsor engine. goes good and looks great.

it is almost completed look at the thread. choosing a color for my gt40...i have posted some pictures of the car on there.

best of luck

Hi Steve,

When you say super performance..what are you trying to achieve... yes they used to race back in the le mans but bose or high performance engines never existed.... nothing like the 700 hp engines you find in todays mustangs.

I have a roaring forties, but have a standard 302 windsor engine. goes good and looks great.

it is almost completed look at the thread. choosing a color for my gt40...i have posted some pictures of the car on there.

best of luck

What I was wondering was, can the kit cars be raced in cams/aasa events? Such as hill climbs and circuit events etc.

I didn't mean super performance as in engine power, I meant "superdormance", as in the company that makes some of the best gt40s in the world.

Could you link me your thread?

I have a 331 from Keith Craft with 450HP, 430LBS TQ and love it. I started with a new Boss 302 block with all the good stuff inside, topped off with AFR 185 heads and a 4 barrel. I would like to have an 8 stack at some point.

Jack Houpe P2164 has 600+HP and wishes he had a lot less only because the car is so light he can light up the tires at any speed and in any gear which can make the car dangerous. I can do the same in the first two gears.

At any HP you will be amazed how much fun it is to drive a GT40.

Last edited:
I think people are miss understanding my question.

I'm not asking about performance. I know that a GT40 would be great with any engine.

I'm asking if Superformance GT40s or kit car GT40s can be used in CAMS (Confederation of Australian Motorsport) events. They have certain rules that a car need to meet in order to participate in their race events.

I am seeking information on this from Aussie GT40 owners who may have used their cars in these events.

Maybe I should make another thread, it is a little off topic.

Steve - yes you can use a replica GT40 for CAMS OR AASA competition. YouTube and search 200MPHGT40. You'll then see a wide variety of events that I have done. What you do with a GT40, real or replica is basically limited only by your imagination, chequebook and of course driving ability.
So buy one already and get on with it!

Back