Spaceframe Chassis vs Monocoque Chassis?

Hey all.

I have noticed some kit car companies use spaceframe chassis and others use monocoque chassis'.

Just out of general curiosity and to expand my mechanical knowledge, I was wondering what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

Do a search. Basically a space frame chassis is cheaper and easier to repair, while a monocoque is more original. Happy hunting, S

Chris Duncan

Supporter
It's about weight and torsional rigidity. Just like the power to weight ratio is a more relevant number than just the straight up power figure. The rigidity to weight ratio is more relevant than just the rigidity factor alone.

The monocoque chassis has more rigidity for a given weight, however as already stated it is more expensive and difficult to build and harder to repair.

The original car had 12,000 lbs/degree torsional rigidity, the tube frame cars don't begin to approach that. The best are about 1/2 of that. That said the only place you'll notice is going 9/10 or 10/10 on the track, and even then you will have to be a developed driver to do so.

You can have the best of both worlds with the DRB's as they use the space frame backbone with welded steel panels. A hundred pounds or so won't make that much difference.

Bill

Back