My next project - opinions please!

I am working with Fran to create new type of GT40. I wanted to build something that was a new version with a more modern look but still retain the body lines of the GT40. Sort of like the Ford GT but something that I could build. I spoke to Fran about this last spring and we have been working on it ever since.

I wanted a modern Coyote engine and new 6 speed gearbox. Fran suggested a carbon fiber wing and front splitter with carbon fiber interior bits. The body will be wider at the wheel wells to accept modern SLC type wheels and the bigger brakes. We discussed the possibility of inboard shocks, HID lighting, modern body latches and many other ideas.

It is going to be an exciting build with a more street car feel with a lot of attention given to the interior to make it pleasant to drive. If it is different enough it might be a prototype for a new product line!

The question I have for all of you is, What would you want in a restomod GT40? I will consider anything!

Oh yeah, I do plan to run the crap out of it on the track, of course.

Ron Earp

Admin
*Longer arm suspension up front. Be hard to fit it in with the traditional chassis design and footbox area but it could be done.

This is awesome...
For me, I trust you guys will figure out the exterior suspension/mechanics. What I'd like to see is a car that is comfortable (big enough) and creature comforts.

I would say go for the Ford GT size, to make it more comfortable overall, reuse as much of the SL-C (e.g. tub / suspension if possible) to keep down the production cost.

Interior:
- Use an existing gauge cluster (coyote e.g.) and steering column so that wiring is simple and it keeps the stock look inside.
- Figure out a way to use an existing aftermarket seat (sparco, recarco, etc)
- use a production quality carpet
- dare I say real window glass that rolls up/down (i know this is hard)
- Corvette style (c6) door opening hardware
- maybe factory doors (viper close to style?...) (source motor trend. 2004 Dodge Viper And 2005 Ford GT Drivers Side View Photo 7

Attachments

• 112_0401_Road_Test_2004_Dodge_Viper_Vs_2005_Ford_GT_08z 2004_Dodge_Viper_And_2005_Ford_GT Driver.jpg
    112_0401_Road_Test_2004_Dodge_Viper_Vs_2005_Ford_GT_08z 2004_Dodge_Viper_And_2005_Ford_GT Driver.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 354

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Why not just buy a Ford GT? Great cars that are appreciating like crazy. Came across some outfit in South America awhile back that was building kit cars using Ford GT bits. It didn't have the historic appeal of a classic GT40 and it was not refined like a GT. I don't know anyone that thought it worked.

Initial design that would allow easy addition of a drysump system
An A/C system that is capable of cooling the cabin in warm climates
Suspension and drivetrain bits that allow for the easy adaptation of ABS and TC systems.

Body wise, I'd love to have the option of a front splitter but a wing on the back would be a distraction IMO. Now a spoiler and a diffuser working together would be something pretty cool. And modern lighting would be great.

Oh and enough space in the wheel houses for a lot of rubber....

Last edited:
Widen GT40 front & rear clips by ~6" @ the longtitudinal centerline, Make the car a three seater ala McLaren/center steer driver position, pax each side & slightly behind, use glasshouse along the style of the Mirage/GT40. Add about 4" to 6" to wheelbase in the rear of glasshouse/firewall area. All that should allow the wider wheels/track reqd, plus with now narrow drivers footbox room for some creative front end geometry. Retain the basic GT40 mono, but widened in pax area with fuel in middle between pax. Not sure about the SLC rear end, always seemed to busy to me & restrictive in exhaust room, rethink of mono tub might be better.
Another option would be make it a targa top or removable glasshouse for that single seat/open cockpit 'feel'.
Mind you, you could do the same thing to any car from this era, Lola T70, P906, F**** etc.

Those are a some good ideas. Buying a Ford GT isn't an option with most of those cars going for $175k or at least in that neighborhood. This is going to be based on the RCR GT40 chassis. I'm not sure we could do a lot of chassis changes. I think widening the body for serious modern tires is definitely an option. I also think a modern steering column is an option. What about gauges? I like the look of the GT40 dash. What about using the Digidash or the KOSO unit? It sounds like more comfort and room is a big deal. I would also like to really insulate the interior for noise reduction and, as mentioned, a strong AC system.

Seriously, if possible, find a way to move the fuel out of the sills and into the center somehow. Or, twin tanks inside the engine compartment like the Pantera and FFR GTM and others.

Set it up to accept a decent 6 point cage, maybe even an 8 point. Also, like the GT, additional cage bracing to the rear suspension might be an idea. Look into better side impact protection as well.

A subtle splitter, couple with canards and maybe even subtle skirts - if possible, I would avoid a full racce style wing and see how creative you can get with an adjustable duck tail and subtle (and maybe easily removed) diffuser. With as well designed single nostril vent, well sealed inside, sp that almost all of the air flowing through the radiator come out of the vent and over the front and roof (maye some small side aero near the vent to manage the air flow better). Chassis panels to pretty much seal up the entire bottom. All of this should make for much improved aero and downforce without detracting form the classic lines significantly.

Maybe some sort of roof scoop to get more air into the engine bay.

Ian

Howard Jones

Supporter
Provide for undisturbed nose airflow down the side pods and into the engine room, then exhaust out the open rear. A 4 inch diameter duct hose would be enough if on both sides. A bigger nose inlet for the brake cooling would serve both purposes if it was split. 4X7 would be a big enough area for two 4 inch diameter hoses.

I have also given a bit of thought to diverting the over pressure front wheel well area into hoses and down the side pods of my SLC and to the engine room for cooling. But there's just not enough room unless I go through the cabin.

If you want to seal the bottom of the car, this is required if a difuser is to be effective at all, then cooling airflow into and out of the engine room is very important and should be designed into the layout from the start.

It's the seemingly little things like this that make a aero/DF car effective. I have begun to see that a downforce car is a entirely different animal than a old school car like a GT40. A LOT of air need to flow through the car as well as over and under it. The ducting required must be designed in from the out set and not added on as a afterthought.

In the end a proper downforce car needs all the stuff that makes it a very bad street car. Way to low and all kinds of stuff added low at the nose and at the rear.

Keith

Seriously though, a Mercedes style FLIR camera/ screen. Simply AWESOME!

Never mind the headlights - these things are a must at night.

Yellow car Carbon fiber chassis grey one with steel chassis , both cars running with V6 double turbo charged , modern in board suspensionwith puch road ;

Attachments

• Copie de VBMav-ar.bmp
    590.7 KB · Views: 252
  • bvm %281%29.jpg
    bvm %281%29.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 332
Interesting. I'm building a Coyote (Aluminator version) with a modified front dam (see photos).

Attachments

• new-bib-spolier-front-clip-87-p.jpg
    new-bib-spolier-front-clip-87-p.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 333
  • new-bib-spolier-front-clip-[3]-87-p.jpg
    new-bib-spolier-front-clip-[3]-87-p.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 291
I like the idea of a roof scoop to pull air into the engine compartment. As for the front, we are planning to either use the driving light location for air ducts and widen the nose opening or glass over the driving light location and just pull air from the larger opening.

Cosmetically, what are you guys thinking about the dash? Should I use modern gauges or the Digi dash or both? It will be made out of carbon fiber I think so I don't want to cover it up. It will match the carbon fiber seats that are the new SLC seats.

We are also planning to add louvres over the front fenders, probably in carbon fiber.

Back