Main differences of pre vs post #100 production number of CAV replicas?

Hi there,

still looking around for a used car - preferably from CAV (or SPF) - and the one which is currently number one on my radar is a 2008 CAV Mk1 simply because it is already registered in Austria which is almost impossible nowadays if you order a new one or at least very hard to accomplish if you bring one in from Germany (which is plan B and could work for the ones having a so called H licence plate). So this is the one (still very expensive so I do not want to take any risk when spending this kind of money).

Ford GT 40 CAV -

I there any downside compared to the newer models I should be aware of?

Thanks

Thomas

Thomas, I hope you are successful in getting the CAV shown. Very nice car. I've owned mine for almost 5 years and have really enjoyed it. Mine is a pre 100 serial numbered car and if I knew then what I know now I would have looked harder and gotten a later model. I love mine but I know the newer models were improved in certain areas. The pedal box is better in the 100+ cars, the interiors are larger, they improved the uprights all round if I'm not mistaken too. Yours has a very rare (unless it was painted after) black monocoque too. I've never seen that on a CAV. I believe they upgraded the electrics too in certain areas. The brakes are Wilwoods which I believe are upgraded from the pre 100 cars. I'm sure there are other improvements that I can't recall but needless to say the car in question looks to be a very very nice example. So, as far as I know there are no downsides only upsides to the newer cars.

Just saw on CAV's website that apparently they applied all modifications from somtime in 2006 at least that's what this newsletter says and therefore the car I posted above would indeed be a post no 100 (as long as it is true that this car had been built in 2008)!

CAV GT | Resurrecting a legend

Most probably a stupid follow up question but when so many of you on the forum talk about production numbers for CAV where would I find that number in the car?

The chassis no of the car I am currently looking at is NSR147GT75R - so could this be a #147 then or rather a #75 (which would be a surprise to me as according to the seller the car had been built in 2008) or can't you tell from the chassis number?

Thanks

Pat

Supporter
Thomas, there are two places to look. Under the front clip there should be an Autofutura/CAV dataplate as well as one under the rear deck on the left side firewall behind the driver seat in the engine bay.

Attachments

• Dataplate 3.jpg
    Dataplate 3.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 227
  • Dataplate 1.jpg
    Dataplate 1.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 212
Thanks Veek!

I will pass on your pictures to a potential seller who told my he would not be able to locate such number which did sound a bit odd to me but anyway.

So would this mean that this one (from another car for sale in the US) is a pre #100 car - correct? It was built in 2006.

Attachments

• 228954_424d92a969_low_res.JPG
    228954_424d92a969_low_res.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 247

Pat

Supporter
You are correct, the data plate you have in the photo is CAV MONO #46, obviously a pre-100 car. As for the 2006 car you mention, I'd also verify the build date. The plate serial number would be as of the date the car was built by CAV. It may have had the engine and trans added much later to become road worthy (which I would refer to as the "finish date"). That could be quite some time after the factory build date. To add to the confusion, the first "registration date" may be thrown into the seller conversation as well.

The reference from the CAV website was the November 2005 Autofutura newsletter. Since Autofutura took over CAV in early 2004, I am understanding that they only sold post 100 cars after 2005. So a car with a 2006 Autofutura build date should be a post 100 numbered car.

As an aside, any seller that is elusive about serial numbers, build dates and car origins should be a cause for concern and I'd suggest careful examination before you spend your money.

All that said, like Jim, I have been more than happy with my CAV, the support from the dealer network and factory are wonderful and would strongly recommend them to anyone.

Last edited:
Back