Gelscoe Motorsport

Hi All

I just discovered the Gelscoe Motorsport webpage. Seems they have a nice range of spares to sell. Has anyone bought parts from them? There are no prices on the webpage.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I understand they make a very high quality product. As for price, if you have to ask........

I assume very pricey...I emailed for a price list.

I am hoping to change out my fibreglass roof section for a steel job. Will be a good project, just need to find someone to supply me the steel roof section panels.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Gelscoe are said to be a more nut and bolt accurate replica than Superformance

Guide price for one of their cars is in the GBP 250 000 range

Their cars get historic racing passports for UK and Europe

Ian

Jon & Andy at Gelscoe are two of the nicest blokes I've met since I started with my build. They always have time for me and I've bought a couple of parts from them for my car even on my very modest budget.

The quality of their work is stunning and yes fully built cars are not cheap but I have been really pleased with the price I've paid for items so far. If you want to add some great authentic style parts for your car I'd certainly give them a call.

I have met and had a few dealings with Andy in the past and his organisation certainly knows their way round GT40s, I believe that they have access to the originals drawings and blueprints perhaps though John Etheridge. Their cars certainly are easily granted FIA HTP papers and of course there were three Gelscoe cars @ Goodwood. The cars look a lot more faithful to me than some "original" cars in the paddock.

They do seem expensive, But if somebody wanted a GT40 for the purposes of racing I cant really think of a more cost effective way to do it. If you buy an original car you will then be terrified of destroying original bodywork and thus be terrified to use the thing properly, or alternatively replace all of the originality with new parts!

Mike Pass

Supporter
These "original" cars are now 50 years old. Exactly how much is left of the original car? They are like grandad's spade. It has had 4 new blades and 6 new handles but it is original. I have looked at many of these original cars and struggle to find much original in them and I have been looking at them for a long time and remember what they were like back then. It seems to me that the value lies in the chassis plate and a history file.
I suppose the question is what you want from the car. Most "original"cars are set up for racing and would not be good for road use. If you want to race buy a Gelscoe car. If you want an investment then buy one with the best history file. The rebuild cost compared to the purchase cost is quite good now. If you want a car useable on the road then an SPF would do the trick.
Cheers
Mike

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
If you look on Robert Ash's web site, racingicons.com, there are a lot of original cars that still have a lot of their original pieces on them. It seems to me that the ones that were NOT raced in period have a better chance of having the original items on them and in them than the team cars, which were frequently rebuilt or modified. Ash's discussion of all this is illuminating and quite interesting.

Gelscoe's cars are said to be quite true to original and have gotten HTPs when the owner applied for them, so if you want to race and don't want to spend two million or more for a 60s GT40, they are the way to go. Or a Mark V. You're still talking about banging up an expensive item, but if one can afford it, why not.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Dave Albany,

You also may find some original style reproductions & original parts on my website.
Please let me know if anything interests you.
At Goodwood, I met with several team owners, who have customers with original cars, that are looking to return their cars to a state where they feature more of the original parts that have over the years disappeared. These will be interesting projects.
My latest part, not featured yet on my website is the original style steeringwheel. I've just received the prototype and will be making it in it's original size and also at a smaller size, for easy access, for those of a 'slightly larger size'.

Gelscoe are said to be a more nut and bolt accurate replica than Superformance

Guide price for one of their cars is in the GBP 250 000 range

Their cars get historic racing passports for UK and Europe

Ian

There is a very nice example for sale in the UK, but unfortunately it doesn't mention the Retail price...

Ford GT40 MK1 | Race Cars | Current Stock | Taylor and Crawley

Would really like to know how much they are asking and if this will be more than having a new one made by Gelscoe. I have seen them a couple of times now in action and it might be a good alternative to upgrading the GTD for track work.

John

Oooh, me likee! I can't say I care for the color, or the choice of wheels, but basically this is just exactly what I dream of having someday...:thumbsup:

Obviously Gelscoe doesn't give any indication on their website, but I Always thought a new car from them is around the same price?!?

I would expect a Gelscoe example for sale at roughly the same price as a new one, maybe even with a slight premium as you don't have to wait???

John

I assume very pricey...I emailed for a price list.

I am hoping to change out my fibreglass roof section for a steel job. Will be a good project, just need to find someone to supply me the steel roof section panels.

Dave I would be interested in a tin top as well some one must have them.

Mick

I want steel, I could hand beat one out, not to hard , make template to copy RF roof with some extra to fold over then have panel laser cut and form over buck.

It's on my list to do if i cant buy a copy

Back