CAV silver G Sypder

New member here but not new to fast cars :thumbsup:

I've noticed that there's a silver CAV Spyder that's been for sale for some time now. It seams to be priced reasonably. It appears to be a nice build. I've noticed that this isn't the first thread on this car. I have read where someone says, "what do you think of this GT40?", followed by some, "nice car" comments, etc. But the thread was capped off with a "PM sent".
Is there an issue with this GT40? Does its reputation precede itself? I love the open top but I'm afraid I might be missing something that you GT40 veterans know. :idea:
Do these Spyder variants have issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Re: CAV silver G Sypder for saleT

I too have watched this car------------it has seemingly been for sale forever.
CAV only built 5 units, and I believe these were early in their production process. One fellow I spoke with thought there were some upright issues and subsequent handling problems with these cars??? Nothing concrete---
I was interested (and still am) in the "Spyder" design for increased roominess and less claustrophobia. I'm a tall guy----and the Spyder sounds great.
Supposedly several Forum members are modifying SPF cars to make a "targa:idea: roof" design; but I haven't heard anything lately.
I wish RCR or SPF would "modify" their cars for more room, like some Cobra manufacturers did.

Rodney and Don, Not sure of any specific issues as I've never owned one of the "targa" versions but I can say without winking an eye I love my CAV GT, #82. You can still reach out to the factory in South Africa as they are still making the GT versions and who knows maybe they recently made another Targa version for someone else as a special order. As for issues some of the early cars are said to have had front upright issues but I believe those issues were addressed by CAV as I know my car has upgraded front uprights. The rears (I'm told) were fine but some still suggested you upgrade those if your were thinking of "tracking" the car. My rears have never given me any concern and are factory uprights. I suggest you take a test drive and let the car speak for itself. Careful though.....you'll get hooked!

Hi guys

I am about building a GT 40 roadster or speedster here in germany, body and chassis are already there, but it is not a CAV.
I did it in 3D already, and it looks good in my opinion!

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 319
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    729 KB · Views: 348

Here is a CAV, the second pic shows my first idea of the car I want to built, I modified it in photoshop, and the lines of the car really work as a targa...if you keep clicking previous-next-previous-next between pic 2 and 3 it really shows the effect!

Attachments

• 11AC-09-43605.jpg
    11AC-09-43605.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,247
  • 1966_ford_gt40-pic-23353.jpg
    1966_ford_gt40-pic-23353.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 487
  • 1966_ford_gt40-pic-2335bb3.jpg
    1966_ford_gt40-pic-2335bb3.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:

Here is a CAV, the second pic shows my first idea of the car I want to built, I modified it in photoshop, and the lines of the car really work as a targa...if you keep clicking previous-next-previous-next between pic 2 and 3 it really shows the effect!

I really like your "concept"---for the targa roof.

If you speak with any of the builders (RCR--SPF--CAV), let me know if any of them are interested in building one.

Your design would appeal to a large group of guys like me----tall and claustrophobic!

DandyDon:laugh:

Back