Tojeiro GT40 - is this a real GT40?

Hi guys,

As I´m new to this and searching for a GT40 I have stumbled over this one even in my own country Denmark.

You can find the car under this dealer.

Daytona - The leading classic car dealer in Scandinavia

The sales add says that this car was build in 1964 and that it is a "One Off" construction from the chassis designer John Tojeiro. I know this designer from his famous Jaguar designs. I can not find any Tojeiro Ford GT40 on the web besides an old thread from this forum - it was a whits Tojeiro listed for sale.

I have asked the dealer form documentation on the car and he only got the first registration - he told me that the car has only run testmiles and that the dealer himself bought from Tojeiro - further he mentioned that this car is not a replica?????

The asking price is about 100.000 punds which is a 100.000.000 Danish Kroner.

I think the price is a bit overstated or understated because if this is a GT40 build in 1964 by this designer then the car gotta be worth a lot more or am I wrong?

Can anybody help out on this matter?

Thanks in advance.

Per G.

Copenhagen Denmark.

Looks like a Dax, plus that would explain the Tojeiro link.

Pinched this from the GT40 Enthusiasts site:

"Another manufacturer of GT40 replicas was Dax, better known for their Cobras. They produced a limited number of their Dax 40 with input in the design stage from John Tojeiro who worked at AC Cars on the Cobras. Although these were excellent cars the fact that they increased the height to 42” to cater for taller drivers worked against them and held the sales down"

Cheers

Darren

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Per, John Tojeiro designed the DAX GT40 replica chassis.
The pictures are small so difficult to be sure - but;
The pic showing the rear part of the chassis looks very like a DAX chassis.
The length of the front and rear clip latches look like a DAX (longer than GT40 or GTD replica).
Ask for the Chassis number and see if it has DAX in it.

regards Dave (DAX owner)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Another Dax owner here and yes that looks like a DAX

Rear suspension arms on a DAX go almost straight forward as opposed to going inboard and mounting nearer the engine at the front on most cars.

If it's a DAX it is actually slightly taller than most by about an inch (41.5inches or there abouts)

But the good thing about that is it has more space inside and if you are like me at 6'3" tall I can fit - even with a crash helmet and don't need Gurney bubbles on the door tops

Dax was made by DJ sports cars Home - DJ Sportscars International Ltd.

Ian

Thanks a lot guys!

Then this car is not build in 1964 - does anybody when these DAX cars was build?

Further - what will be the correct price range for a car like that?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Dax was being built from about 1987 to 1992

A "dog" would go for £25000 to £30000 and a real gem about £50000
Gem = knock off wheels, leather, aircon, good engine,uprated brakes, Avon tyres, sorted etc

That one has bolt on wheels (about £3000 - £5000 cheaper)
Probably on Granada brakes
Engine appears fairly standard - perhaps even a Ford Marine one

All the above in my opinion which may or may not be accurate. :drunk:

Ian

Back