Original MK1 GT40 for sale; Bill&Bob Thread

Re: Original MK1 GT40 for sale

when I look at that and put that car next to a good replica and then would ask some people whats the replika...I guess some will say that red (real) car is a replica/kit :D

Keith

You're right Rene, I'm no expert but from those pics, it's hard to tell the difference. The one sure way to tell if it is an original is by looking under the front clip and strangely, there are no pictures of it, so I can't tell! :shrug:

Why miss that out? :huh:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

Yes, there was. Interesting that they both have the road car interior and not the nylon with grommets. I copied Colin's interior when we did my car. Nice fellow- gave me a number of very good photos of it for us to work from.

My understanding is that the textured material on the seats is actually vinyl, not leather. Unfortunately, I didn't find that out until I had had it reproduced- in leather. :(

Original MK1 GT40 for sale #1058

Legendary Motor Cars TV show featured 1058 this week. Peter goes to Harley Cluxton's shop in Phoenix and buys the car for $3M. Good shots of the car and Peter's son driving it on the track. check it out.

Pat

Supporter

It was a great show, I'm surprised Peter didn't try to get Harley Cluxton to bargain a bit. But then Harley's TV persona was not what one would describe as charming and friendly. I wonder how long Peter will hold onto the '40.

I visited Legendary Motorcar back in March. P/1058 was still in the showroom, but one of the staffers told me that the car had been sold.

My pics:

12999669414_69e4c08681_b.jpg

12999667204_eb0f9c1843_b.jpg

12999409173_86b48426a4_b.jpg

Gosh, I'd rather have a good replica I can drive the crap out of in the real world....and put $2,900,000 in the bank.....

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter

I think most of us feel that way. Not that we've much choice, but they drive the same- or better. Not to mention how often you would have to replace that little Tilton or AP clutch on one of the originals.

@ Legendary Motorcars (Legendary Motorcar Company | | Original 1967 Ford Mk1 GT40). Seller doesn't list serial#. Here's my question. Car has single rear light/side. How was it determined what Mk1 rear would be on these cars because it seems as if a car could have had the twin rear lights or a single lamp regardless of when it was manufactured.
Thanks in advance.

A GT40 can only have the single tail lights Simca 1100 after 1968 when the Gulf rear tail became available although GT40P/1020 had a Gulf type rear clip at the 1967 Le Mans. Every thing is interchangeable bodywise on a GT40 chassis. I have pictures of a GT40 with an early front racing in 1967. I like the fact that in 1966 GT40P/1058 was built as a MkI road car initially; before gaining Weslake heads and presumally the Gulf tail?. I like the Borriani wires wheels.
Regards Allan

This appear to have been a late entry at Gooding Monterey where it fetched USD 3 520 000 probably plus commission

Despite it possibly not being exactly as it left Slough December 23, 1966, I could suffer through ownership...

Yes, there was. Interesting that they both have the road car interior and not the nylon with grommets. I copied Colin's interior when we did my car. Nice fellow- gave me a number of very good photos of it for us to work from.

My understanding is that the textured material on the seats is actually vinyl, not leather. Unfortunately, I didn't find that out until I had had it reproduced- in leather. :(

Hello, our 66 had naugahyde seats with the nickel o-ring grommets.Plastic slider side windows.I used to wonder if it would fit under the toll gates on NY Thruway or Ct. Turnpike.Never tried it.A Gurney Eagle 302,lots of Webers.Never saw ome with Borrani,s.Looks cool.I imagine they'd collect brake dust.We had Hallibrand centerlocks.It was really uncomfortable and hard to drive.4 hours in full nomex,no cool suit was great.I thought Wyer
converted the MK-1,s to street use.We just put license plates on a race car.I loved it.fastest road car I ever drove.241 mph at N-Ring....
In 68,69 they they did the entire chassis,honeycomb, and added Nascar cage to accommodate the big block,after Kenny Miles hit the wall at Riverside.Even tried a 2 speed automatic.

Last edited:
Back