Buying a GTD

Hi Guys,

I´m on the hunt for a GT40 - to use for road trips only!

My Price range is around 65.000 to 80.000 USD.

I´ve stumbled over some very nice looking GTD care - from the early 90 ies! They look like the real ones from back in the days.

Further I´ve done some research about the GTD cars. The GTD cars should be some of the best or am I wrong?

For a rookie in the game of GT40´s I just wanted to know if i´m on the wrong path and maybe get som good guidiance!

Thanks in advance.

Per G.
Copenhagen Denmark

Jaguar E-type FHC Series 1.:thumbsup:

Go to stance works .com to look at two nice examples of GTD cars. I don't know how to import the pictures, but they are nice. Good luck Brian

Hi Per,

As many others guys here, I'm the happy owner of a GTD40.

GTD are surely not as prestigious and attractive as semi-monocoque replicas (Superfomance, RCR, among others), cause they are space-framed chassis (unlike the originals) and their finish depends closely on their builders skill and ability...(as they were mainly sold as kits by the manufacturer).

But that said, they sold for half the price of a Superformance... and for that price, you have a good basic design, which you can vastly improve and upgrade, to correct few particular old fashion aspects of their design. Depends on your wallet (and/or time and skill, as usual), sky is the limit !

I have great fun with mine, set up as a road car, tinkering around to refresh and upgrade it, as it is almost a real collector car by itself, near 30 years old ...that is part of the pleasure for me, (I don't like so much too brand-new cars...).

For less than $80K, grabbing a correct semi-mono replica could be an real bargain, but you can find nice GTD for far less, which surely could be a very good way to be initiated to the wonderful world of GT40 !

A pic of mine, just out of paint shop. (Since that day few things have been corrected : tires, stickers, mirrors, and so on)

Good hunt !

Attachments

• 130610 AVD.jpg
    130610 AVD.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
And Per, what could be great if you fancy the idea, with GTDs, is that you could look for and may find some quite old used cars, almost as barn find ! (and cheap !:thumbsup:)
Then restore it, to have it like you want to.

You've seen mine above, just out of the paint shop... then, under is how I found it:eek:, and during body repair...some day, I'll have to start a (re)build log on this forum !:idea2:

Attachments

• 04112012448.jpg
    04112012448.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 397
  • coque poncée AR.jpg
    coque poncée AR.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Hum, as far as I know, this number doesn't look like the end of a GTD factory VIN... :confused: But in this matter, when looking for a car, I've seen so strange things that I could consider everything as possible.

Usually, the four last digits are yynn, (i.e. a VIN ending for instance by 3586, should normaly mean : chassis #35, manufactured in 1986...or x4598, should mean chassis #x45, lets say 345, manufactured in 1998...)
So 0016, doesn't look fair to me, unless it coud be a number given by some State administration in North America or elsewhere , over the factory number ?

Some forum fellow here, is selling GTD #370, which is said by one of the previous owners to be the last produced by GTD in England.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-cars-sale/42953-gtd-40-sale-gulf-racing-inspired.html

I'd like to have a look at some GTD registry somewhere, but I don't think there is any... A club was existing in UK years ago, but very unfortunately dissapeared since...

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
GTD are surely not as prestigious and attractive as semi-monocoque replicas (Superfomance, RCR, among others)...

All the "prestige" on the planet plus $5.00 will buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

"Prestige" in-and-of itself doesn't make any item (be it a car or you-name-it) better than another. "Prestige" is just an artificial ego booster for those who sorely lack a healthy sense of self-worth IMHO.

...and that's about as profoundly 'cerebral' as I'm gunna get today!

Last edited:

Michael Holmes

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Guys,

I´m on the hunt for a GT40 - to use for road trips only!

My Price range is around 65.000 to 80.000 USD.

I´ve stumbled over some very nice looking GTD care - from the early 90 ies! They look like the real ones from back in the days.

Further I´ve done some research about the GTD cars. The GTD cars should be some of the best or am I wrong?

For a rookie in the game of GT40´s I just wanted to know if i´m on the wrong path and maybe get som good guidiance!

Thanks in advance.

Per G.
Copenhagen Denmark

Jaguar E-type FHC Series 1.:thumbsup:

Hi, do you know what the road registration requirements are for Denmark?

Howard Jones

Supporter
My advice would be to get to know the Tornado and Southern GT version of their kit car GT40 currently produced in England and therefore sort of local for you. These two manufactures are the closest current version of the now older design and out of business GTD company. I would think both of these company's can tell you a lot about the design shortfalls that were in original GTD's and how their car has addressed them as improvements. Two important areas are suspension geometry and braking systems as well as important others. ASK!

The Southern GT car has many design improvements incorporated into their current product that have been retrofitted into older GTD cars by their owners over time. The Tornado car is also much more refined than a original spec GTD would be.

Once you have studied these two current designs, both space frames like the GTD, you can make a informed evaluation of both the performance value and the monetary value of a used GTD you might find for sale.

The good news is there are many very well completed and highly developed GTD's in England along with a large family of informed owners. I would also recommend you get to know some of them. I'm sure you will find them very helpful as I did when I build and developed my GTD several years ago.

Having said the above I would be remiss not to at least mention the other current builders such as CAV, RCR, Super Performance GT. Others exist and maybe others can include them if they are so inclined.

Your price range is high enough to be in a position not to settle for a less than a very nice used car or a very large portion of the cost of your own project car should you wish to build your own.

@Michael

The registration for cars like the GT40 in Denmark are not difficult anymore -but the Tax system will kill you!

The thing is - the original car (GT40) was created back in the 60 ies! In Denmark the rules for reimitation/replica cars are quite simple. If the original car you want in reimitation/replica is from before 1977 the car just needs to follow the specs from the old one. That will be - same dimensions of breaks - chassis and so on. The engine size can be 20% bigger!

The problem comes with the Danish tax. We have the highest taxsation of cars. When you buy a new car i Denmark the state tax you 180% of the purchase price. As you may know we do not have the amount of luxury cars driving around!

just an example - if you buy an Aston Martin DB9 price calculated from Danish Kroners to dollars 185.000 - THEN you add 3 times approx the buying price for the tax - this will be 555.000 dollars for a DB9!!!!!

Back in the days the registration of reimitation/replica cars were alot more difficult! alot used old donorcars because them they could get a lighter tax - Veteran cars (35 years) are taxed differently than new cars.

But now if you bought a kit for a GT40 it would be easy to get it registrated and on the road but the state would tax it like a new GT40 - and then you need to dig deep in your pocket!!

Therefore I´m looking for a car which is build in the 80ies or 90 ies (then it will not get the heavy tax)

The Danish tax system is very complicated - and now it has become easy to get homebuild cars registrated (back in the days it was a real pain) but the tax will sky rocket!!!

I´m very keen to my hands on a GT40 - but I need to find the right one!! further I think it will be one of the only ones in the little country of Denmark!

Hope the above makes sense.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Cheers

Per

Hi, do you know what the road registration requirements are for Denmark?

I think the danish taxation system is anyway correct. A new aaston DB9 is stuff for rich people. Used ones maybe already not.If you can afford a new toy like that, you can also afford comunity taxation.I really think is correct.

In sweden I own a 2003 volvo v70 taxation is totally fair and correct.

In italy I have an old e36 cabrio saved like a toy from store. With the foolish italian taxation I payed 5 times my car to state.

ah..btw.. a ferrari 458 here pays EVERY year 1800 euros in state taxes... (2500 dollars every year just as owning tax).U must pay it at least 20 yrs to wait car to become of historical interest.
Wonder why all rich fellows I know owning super exotics lice McLaren f1 gtr, carrera gt , 918, enzo , La ferrari, have all theme plated UK or san marino...

We dream to have the correct danish way (or swedish) allover europe. honestly.

this said, good luck with the gt40 :) will be one nice more in scandinavia ;)
there was also a swedish manifacturer at www.gox.se , based in wonderful city of stromstadt,but dunno if still in business and how nowadays.

Brian Wilson

Lifetime Supporter
Per, I also have a GTD40 and am very happy with it. It is a very early one - 1984 - and factory built. Still strong and doesn't rattle. Has had a number of owners and quite a few upgrades over the years. These older ones (to me) look more authentic than the newer replicas which have to meet all the design rules in most countries. I think good ones from this period can be a bargain if you take your time to find the right one. You're not likely to find a pre-1977 replica, although many are registered in the US with an early date (1960s) under some special rule there. Could be worth checking whether that would be accepted in Denmark. Good luck looking. It's half the fun! Brian

Back