Wallace Wyss Thread

In some of the articles on the net it has splendid revealing pictures of the former fireman Dennis Murdoch's yellow GT40 Mk. I with the Mk. II rear body section first in the garage and then pulled out into the California sun. Some of those pictures are attributed to Jay Cushman who I concluded got Dennis to get the car out of the garage to see what condition it was in. But apparently Shaunessey out bid him. I was wondering if the price he was willing to sell it for to Cushman was ever mentioned and why the deal fell apart? It seems like Jay would know more customers for it than Shaunessey , who previously was known as a Ferrari guy (before he got his first GT40 from Australia).
Also I don't have the Ronnie Spain book
who are the other owners named for that car? I only have:

George Walther
Rod Stewart?

I don't see how it could have belonged to Rod Stewart if it went from the Walther family to Murdoch? And he's mostly known as a Lamborghini guy, I've seen him drive by in his Countach.

Another misc. question: I can't remember what Dennis paid for it but I am thinking a fair price at the time was around $20,000. Remember 427 Cobras were only $7000 in the mid to late '70s. And Salt, flat on his back in the hospital, wasn't in a position to bargain...

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Ron Earp

Admin
Re: Problems with Jay Cushman

What the hell does any of this have to do with Jay Cushman? If I thought Wallace would answer, I'd ask who he is, but he never joins in a conversation, just bombs a thread and moves on.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Re: Jay Cushman and the Murdoch GT 1067

Also I don't have the Ronnie Spain book

So buy one.

Lets see, the list of books you don't have:

Any Ronnie Spain book

The SAAC registry

Freidman's "Shelby GT40" book

But I am guessing a shitload of "Shelby's Wildlife" circa late 70's with a buttload of errors and assumptions..................

Charlie Farley

Supporter

Wallace,

Your highjacking of a thread related to Jay Cushman and ultimately unsubstantiated rumours is disingenuous to say the least.
The majority of vendors on this website aim to provide owners with exactly what they state they require, luckily, not often ( as guys here are pretty well informed ) sometimes overcoming obstacles ' despite ' the customer. But you never see a post from a vendor criticising a customer here.
Why in heck didn't you start a new thread for your dreary line of investigation ?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Is "Wallace" a regular on other car forums?

Sadly, yes.

He does his "drive by" posts looking for research he is too lazy/incompetent/greedy to do. He has a couple of books to his name, but will not spend a few hundred dollars to purchase the research books most all of us have. And apparently he has never heard of "Google" He never seems to come back and reply or contribute. I have been accused of dissing him and while I don't know him and wouldn't if he walked up to me, I find his attitude and mode of operation piss poor.

He seems overly concerned with what someone paid for a car "he could have bought" but didn't. Yeah, I could have bought 1075 AND a GTO AND a lot of other nice cars. But I didn't!!!!!

Pat

Supporter

Rather than continue to smear Mr. Cushman, (who I personally don't know from Adam's housecat), would it be possible to change the name of this thread to "Problems with Wallace"?
Given the turn it's taken, that seems more appropriate to me.

Or "Where's Wallace"
Or "When will Wallace learn that Mr. Search is your friend"
How about "The Joy of the search feature"?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Rather than continue to smear Mr. Cushman, (who I personally don't know from Adam's housecat), would it be possible to change the name of this thread to "Problems with Wallace"?
Given the turn it's taken, that seems more appropriate to me.

Or "Where's Wallace"
Or "When will Wallace learn that Mr. Search is your friend"
How about "The Joy of the search feature"?

"Wallace" is with "Grommit"!!!

Pat

Supporter

Attachments

• Wallace_and_gromit.jpg
    Wallace_and_gromit.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 173
Re: Wallace Wyss and The Joy of Searching

I enjoy reading and contributing to this forum but I do not like the double standards, for example you can the rule book thrown at you for not using your real name however that same rule book is some how forgotten by all in threads like this, specifically:

1.Enjoy The Forum: GT40s.com is a web forum for the hobbyist. A place to stop in and relax. Keep threads on topic. Please respect your fellow members and don’t write something that you wouldn’t say face to face to them in my living room. Notice it is written “my living room” because you are not on your own forum. If your comments are deemed inappropriate you’ll find yourself suspended for a short while. In short, don’t berate, belittle, or ridicule your fellow forum member. Offenders will find themselves banned.

Just my opinion but rules are rules for everyone all the time, not just when it suits and personal attacks just lower the tone of the whole forum.

I don't know the people involved or their backgrounds but no one is forced to respond to questions or matters posted, as my mum would say if you haven't got anything nice to say then...... :worried:

Pat

Supporter
Re: Wallace Wyss and The Joy of Searching

Paul,

Correlation does not imply causation...

And Ron, (or whoever did this) thanks for taking Mr. Cushman's name out of the title!

I guess a thread title of "Prunes are an excellent source of fiber" is now out of the question...

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
I can see your point Paul, but I don't necessarily agree with all facets of it.

*Wallace has been around the forum for a number of years. I had to change his name from "bitzman" to his real name since he ignores all attempts at communication on the subject. Tracking down his real name took a fair amount of time since I'm not plugged into the historical scene as many of the folks posting on this thread.

*I've split off numerous threads of his to properly named threads because he doesn't seem to care that we have a structure on GT40s.com.

*I've moved many of his threads over the years to their proper subforum on GT40s.com.

I've done all these things instead of just banning him, which would be a far sight easier as it is much simpler from the control panel, and it would eliminate future housekeeping. I thought that maybe he'd have facets of knowledge to contribute and share, and would enjoy being part of the community. But as Ronnie James said, "The less that you give you're a taker"

I don't think anyone has been belittled or berated, particularly in light of the members's previous actions. Maybe the change in Wallace's avatar will cause him to take notice that something is a bit different on GT40s.com, I think it is better than banning.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
What GT40 enthusiast doesn't have Ronnie's book?

Answer: one that is both cheap and lazy.

Wallace, get off your butt (if you have one) and do some shoe-leather research.

Tom Shaughnessy has been involved with vintage racing cars for decades. He's smart, knowledgeable, and persistent. That's how he finds them. He knows a lot of folks and he gets the word out. He also travels quite a bit. Jay has another business making GT40 parts (many of which are in my car, 1149) and I suspect he isn't able to travel around as much as Tom. Both of them are informed and energetic and most of all, willing to do the hard work of actually tracking down vintage race cars. Which is more than you can say for some folks mentioned in this thread. You, Wallace.

Pat

Supporter
Ron, this forum is fortunate to have you. Your patience is truly admirable.

Would a simple solution be that once a thread takes an objectionable turn (as in my opinion this one did with the dozen or more irrelevant bumps of a title with potential professional impact) for a moderator simply to delete successive threads? I belong to one site that has a flagging code to indicate thread closure with a note to simply restart a new thread that would hopefully redirect things appropriately for those that don't get the hint from others posting. That way moderators don't have to move stuff and it appropriately puts the administrative burden on those posting.

Keith

The brilliance of this site and the community is that it rarely needs moderation. That's quite unique in our testosterone fueled field.... :)

I've just thought of a name for it: Consensual Moderation. Can I say that?

Back