Which 40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hello everyone, after a few years not being here and gaining experience (maturity - according to some :lipsrsealed:). I have had my share of muscle cars and nothing seems right. I must say, the only one that was pretty awesome was the 1969 Mach 1 Mustang I had. Just that damn stall converter made it not so pleasing!

Anyways, I am looking into a GT40 that I will put together myself.

DRB and RF offer them in Australia. I tried to get a hold of either a Tornado (due to CF) or RCR but compliance I don't think will be possible.

Anyways, just few things to set things straight for me.

A: Do certain manufacturers of the GT40 offer certain performance improvements that others do not as to why one would pick one company (Eg: RCR) over something else or is it all much of a muchness?

B: Are there any external differences between companies? - To me they all look the same.

C: Why DRB or why RF? (again related to previous 2 questions)

My personal thought is that, whether it is RCR, Tornado, CAV, RF, DRB etc is all the same, whatever one finds works for them (Personal relations) is the one you go for, so just clear it up for me if not 'exactly' the case.

Thank you
G-

Hi George,

I am in the process of building a DRB, I chose it for a few reasons, there are plenty around Brisbane who can assist, the location of the factory, and this being my first build of this type, I needed one that is relatively easy to build, but that depends on your skill level, and what you define as Easy.
Hope this helps

Cheers
Bob

...My personal thought is that, whether it is RCR, Tornado, CAV, RF, DRB etc is all the same, whatever one finds works for them (Personal relations) is the one you go for, so just clear it up for me if not 'exactly' the case.

There is a vast difference on the inside. Some are tube some monocoque. Some designed for old style engines, some for the new modular Fords. The suspension varies a lot too as does the fit/finish. Also, some offer complete kits down to the nuts and bolts while others do not.

Yes, they will look a lot alike on the outside, but to say they are "all the same" isn't correct at all.

What I'd suggest is setting a price range you can work with and see what options you have based on that then ask here as to which of those options seem best.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
A few years? Seems like yesterday GMan you were planning a full carbon fiber chassis?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Since transaxles seem to be such a big issue, I'd recommend you make a firm decision regarding which transaxle you will use and then purchase a kit engineered to support that transaxle.

Here in the US we seem to like Ford engines, but new mid-engined designs are also being engineered to support the LS series of GM engines, which seem to be capable of huge power numbers without large investment...take a look at RCR's SLC.

Got a fave? There will probably be somebody who has engineered their product to support that installation.

Cheers!!

Doug

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The RCR40 will also support just about any transaxle unit available...given the space restrictions in a GT40 that is...
Although our MK4 even has enough room for a Graziano transaxle..

also take a good look at build manuals and support. Take a good look at the fibreglass finish and be honest with how much help you will need. restoring a Mustang does not mean you can build a car. Also look at the the parts supplied, does the chosen marque supply every nut and bolt if needed? do they have Engineers that can can help when it comes time to rego? what is resale like?

Are you happy with a kit that uses donor car suspension like DRB's Corvette front end or do you want nice bespoke custom suspension. lots of questions to ask.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks for the feedback.

General - I was in Queensland for 12 months, I then worked back in NSW for 12 months since then. I honestly thought I was last 'asking' about GT40s prior to leaving for QLD which is at least 2 years ago. 20th August 2012, 03:07 PM was last post regarding the GT40s.

Ron - I did not need posts combined, you had just assumed it was the same person. Next time ask. :idea: - Personally I rather not have them combined and I rather them be separate as they were, so can you put it back to how it was before pressing combine? Much appreciated.

Mike - Seems Tornado is the only option for that option. But as said, compliance etc, given the cars 'performance' will be pretty much what it is made out of CF or Steel or whatever, then may as well get what works, available, support offered for. I mean, in end, better to have a car than dream about a car that fits X-Y-Z on a paper especially when the experience of the driver will be the limiting factor to the cars ability to perform not the car itself in which case for all practical purposes they will all be the same.

Dave - I seem to have all the things you mention as a concern, from RF.

As I get closer to purchasing a Chassis, I will discuss few aspects with RF and see what can be offered. Apparently they offer any modifications one desires, from a street car to an all out track car. Dunno.

Just a general question regarding the type of Chassis that different manufacturers offer.

RF offer a Space Frame chassis made out of Steel with alluminium sheets that get riveted on. Tornado Offer a Monocoque in either CF or Alloy (going off memory).

How does having a Monocoque or SpaceFrame change the cars 'performance' aspect as why one would be more desirable than the other?

Last edited:
Im not telling you what to buy , just giving you some question to research.

I wouldn't want to take a gamble on trying to get a CF chassis torsion tested over here. what do you do if it doesn't pass? Will an Engineer over here sign it off? I can see the tears already. I would want some good paper work to back that CF chassis up.

An alloy chassis you can mod if required cheaply and the two locals well you don't need to worry because they have been tested and this is not a consideration. The DRB is a space frame with steel panels welded on. The RF is a space frame with alloy riveted panels....choose what look you like better.

performance difference.....i don't think the average driver could tell.

Keith

George didn't you go through all of this in your previous life?

What happened to the God Squad college trip to the USA?.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Keith, no I didn't. What I went through was numbers on a page and theorizing a whole bunch of "what if's". Now I am looking at understanding practical differences that are measureable and achieved by those who have real experience with what is offered. In this case, Dave mentioned the average driver will not know the difference between RF and DRB on a performance level. What about a skilled driver?

USA changed some laws, required some compulsory stuff I was not willing to do and the budget got blown up to 120,000 which I would have needed up front. So no go. I got all the material I needed though so I can study it all out here without actually going, so that worked out. So instead I took up what I always been good at, music. I play the trumpet and am studying it here to become a professional player and the $ I did save up for the college I have put to good use to work for me which I think was a better move than spending it on a school and then having nothing left to work with.

Keith

Cool. Good luck with your search...

At least you came back! You must have a '40 in your future.... :)

I have put my 40 through the RTA for rego.
How it works is you offer up nothing unless you are required to.
They are not consistent and they like playing games.

The sorts of things they ask for are.

Chassis rigidity test.
seat test
seat belt anchorage test
IM240 emissions test if the engine is more than 3 years old.
steering column paper work on angles of shafts and uni joints.
welding reports on any steering or suspension parts fabricated or modified.
brake test.
lighting tests
lamp compliance

the list goes on, if a manufacturer can supply reports for the list of requirements then it is a major plus.
If they say they will get them to you then I would be weary as you may not get them.
I can not see any of them handing them over to you but they would hand them to your engineer to check as it falls under intellectual property and they don't want you handing them on to others.

These are a major part of getting the car to the # plate stage and with out the reports you need to pay some one to perform the test and or calculations.

My advice would be to get an experience engineer ,sit down and find out the list of requirements , then you have questions for a manufacturer.

Jim

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron - I did not need posts combined, you had just assumed it was the same person. Next time ask. :idea: - Personally I rather not have them combined and I rather them be separate as they were, so can you put it back to how it was before pressing combine? Much appreciated.

Welcome back to the forum George. You joined the forum for a second time, thus violating our rules of one ID per person, and I was courteous and combined them into a single ID instead of kicking you off the forum. And you can dispense with the "I haven't been on here in years" shtick. You were just on the forum in June of 2013 asking to have the Gman account deleted.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Welcome back to the forum George. You joined the forum for a second time, thus violating our rules of one ID per person, and I was courteous and combined them into a single ID instead of kicking you off the forum. And you can dispense with the "I haven't been on here in years" shtick. You were just on the forum in June of 2013 asking to have the Gman account deleted.

Yes Ron, technically you are correct in that I posted, but reality, I had not been on the forum and thus i 'logged on' to ask for the removal of an account I had not been using which means what I had stated is also true. :thumbsup:

All good Dave, nobody is messing with anyone. I came here with respect, and hope to receive the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back