Ford Exploring Factory GTE Program, Prototype Options

Ford Exploring Factory GTE Program, Prototype Options

On the heels of a ramped up prototype program in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship this year, Ford is poised to expand its sports car racing efforts to new heights, which includes a targeted return to the famed 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Multiple industry sources have confirmed to Sportscar365 that the Detroit automaker is evaluating a factory GT program that will see Ford take on the likes Chevrolet, Dodge, Porsche and BMW with an ACO GTE-spec car built around the new-for-2016 regulations.
Considerations are also ongoing for a LMP2 engine supply program utilizing its EcoBoost powerplant currently used in TUDOR Championship DP cars.
It’s believed the GTE project is centered around the latest incarnation of the Ford GT production car, which could launch for the 2016 model year and coincide with the 50th anniversary of Ford’s first overall win at Le Mans.
Ford Racing director Jamie Allison was in Europe this past week and could not be reached for comment. The FIA and ACO held the latest round of GT manufacturer meetings in Paris on Thursday and Friday.
A Ford Racing spokesperson, meanwhile, said they “will not comment on speculation about programs.”
No word has been given on what team would run the GTE operation, although there already has been an active campaign to recruit drivers, both from the U.S. and Europe.
A proposal for a Ford Mustang GTE car, built and developed by Multimatic, was shot down by top-level executives last year but talks have continued for the blue oval to have a significant presence in the production-based class with the yet-to-be-announced model.
It’s unclear what affect, if any, Ford’s potential programs would have on its current factory-backed DP operation in the TUDOR Championship with partner teams Chip Ganassi Racing and Michael Shank Racing, which began this year.
While reports have linked Ford to potential factory Le Mans prototype efforts, Allison had previously told Sportscar365 that “there’s no basis of the rumor for LMP1.”
Factory LMP2 teams, meanwhile, are not allowed in ACO-organized championships, which includes Le Mans.
Ford Exploring Factory GTE Program, Prototype Options - Sportscar365

fordgt.jpg

I don't see them having another car other than a re-released GT that is close to a competitive equal to Vette, Viper, Ferrari, BMW, & Porsche. A mustang would be like a brick on the Mulsanne!

I'm with Fran on this one. If Ford couldn't justify re-designing the GT for new crash standards I can't see them getting enough return on marketing on anything other than the new Mustang. Ford is really pushing to make it a "world car" and to actually compete in the true sport sedan classes with M3's and such. To prove it, I think that could be a point argued for to secure an adequate budget to go back to LeMans. I'm pulling for them!

In the last iteration there were privateers that pushed past 200 in production based chassis. It's not like Ford doesn't use wind tunnels and the application of restrictors will be the "unknown" to engine parameters.

20 years from now, Fran can have a new Ford LeMans replica. ROFL

I agree with Fran. Corvettes do well in GTE and a Mustang could as well.

Vast difference though in terms of the street cars they are based on.

Easier to make a wedge go 200mph than a bar of soap.

I'm not saying they won't do exactly that, just that it seems like a much larger hill to climb and therefore less likely to succeed without cubic $.

Vast difference though in terms of the street cars they are based on.

Easier to make a wedge go 200mph than a bar of soap.

I'm not saying they won't do exactly that, just that it seems like a much larger hill to climb and therefore less likely to succeed without cubic $.

All Le Mans cars have high drag and low VMAX but... they do have downforce. With BOP a lot of GT cars do well. Look at the Astons. They lead the race for a long time and aren't very wedge like.

You no longer win Le Mans with VMAX especially with the two chicanes.

GTE Mustang and 2.8Liter version of the Eco Boost they're running in DP's for P2 would have great cost to generating sales for Ford. Spending 400MM USD to lose to Audi in LMP1 not so much.

Last Fall I was a co driver in a NASA endurance race at Miller Motorsports with a Canadian buddy who rented one of the Ford Racing School's top of the line, full race Mustang 500 GT's specifically for this one race. These race cars are setup much better than the normal Race School race cars, but nevertheless, I never want to get in another one of those things. I cringe at the thought that intelligent business executives could think that the Ford Mustang could ever become a genuine credible sportscar. Maybe if one was to copy the whole car into a carbon fiber platform? ( what a bewildering thought!)

My guess is that if the original story about a new Ford GT sports/race car has any legs at all, we would be talking about a new GT car. The Ford Motor Company is much healthier now than at the time they decided to can the Ford GT. And almost all of the positives in today's Ford's car lineup have come from Ford Europe, rather than Ford USA. I can't see Ford Europe going for a Mustang racecar representing the company at Le Mans. And I can see ALL of Ford's executives going crazy for a completely new car to compete with the new, and very, very popular Corvette. No redesign of the Mustang will be able to compete in the same market and class with the new Corvette.

YIKES! I did NOT enjoy this car!

Ford_Mustang_FR500S_DV-08_NY-01.jpg

Last edited:
No redesign of the Mustang will be able to compete in the same market and class with the new Corvette.

? well that's a little naive. I mean yeah they aren't really the same class of car (two seater sports car Vs. 4 seater) but to think that the Mustang couldn't compete in terms of performs is just silly.

The only reason why everyone compares the Mustang to the Corvette all the time is because Ford doesn't have a 2 seater coupe/convertible and I really wish they would, call it something like a 'Cobra' or something, I don't know. I bet if they did it would probably significantly harm the sales of Corvettes....

Ford designed and have Saleen or Panoz build it. They both do a nice job with limited resources, imagine with Ford's juggernaut funding ....wouldn't be that far from the original GT40 or Cobra in reality. If Ford would have stood behind the Batmobile, maybe we could have had "real" American success!

I know this isnt "RCR next car should be" but that would be a badd a$$ LMP type car with traditional engine layout. Fran, this could be the car for your MEGA hp lovers. Alex or John Ross listening? Any 1000hp engine from V12Benz to TT LS with C6 transaxle! Will repost there :)

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I recall the last 2.3 Ford had in a Mustang......what a powerhouse...hehe.

seriously I have liked the recent Mustangs and it would be great to see Ford make a serious factory attempt at racing...

My first car was the 1973 mustang was that a 2.3 ? But really why did the stop building GTs they are a very nice car and competed with all the big boys?

Keith

Well I'd just like to counter the mud slingers here and say that the 2.3 litre Turbo Lima engine was very successful for Ford in a variety of World Class motorsport disciplines, not least BTCC, IMSA and Trans Am.

I believe he IMSA & Transam Mustangs (or Merkur XR4ti's) were actually knocking out close to 800 hp with a stock block and bottom end..

Not too shabby.. Superseded of course by the mighty Cosworth 500 of Sierra fame.

My first car was the 1973 mustang was that a 2.3 ? But really why did the stop building GTs they are a very nice car and competed with all the big boys?

I think I win, my first car was a 1978 Mustang II hatch back with the v6. and yes I fully restored it with my father. 4 speed. black, red leather, T tops. all show no go....

the ladies loved it :)

Back