GT40 in a single garage?

Hi All,
After spending 2 1/2 years working in Saudi Arabia, I am at last in a position to seriously look to buy a GT40.
Can anyone tell me is it possible to keep a GT40 in a single garage? I'm thinking the car will fit but will I be able to get in and out ok?
Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

I used to keep a Jaguar XJS in the same garage which is almost the same with as a 40. I could squeeze in and out, I'm thinking it would be impossible to get in and out of a 40 in a single garage? Any ideas?
I don't think it makes much difference but I'm after a used Tornado in the UK. I like the fact that Andy and Tornado have been around for 25-30 years.

Last edited:
Hi All,
After spending 2 1/2 years working in Saudi Arabia, I am at last in a position to seriously look to buy a GT40.
Can anyone tell me is it possible to keep a GT40 in a single garage? I'm thinking the car will fit but will I be able to get in and out ok?
Any comments on this would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Hi Tom,
I am on my 2nd home with a single garage and can confirm it is possible, BUT it has many drawbacks :thumbsdown:
My first had a sloping drive to the door and I had to install a winch at the back of the garage along with 2 long 4x2 guide rails along the floor to ensure it stayed straight as I winched it in.
2nd garage has level approach and generally drive in until car is aligned with the front wheels just inside the threashold and the car doors can still be opened. Then I chock the rear wheel, release handbrake and push the car in.
A bit of a pain but it works.
Problems? You cannot work on the car in the garage and leave it so it is time consuming having to pack up & return car into garage - as opposed to just turning off the light and returning to it as you left it.
To summarise, yes possible but a pain :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is possible to keep it in a single bay if not too narrow. There is a method of getting in and out that involves stepping out over the front of the driver's door but you need longer legs or a sturdy step stool As for working on it, forget it......you have to reassemble everything to put it away and it must remain in a rolling state. You'll spend half the work time just rolling it out, disassembling it to the stage where you left off, then putting it all back together and rolling it back in. OK if you like jig saw puzzles and have a couple of years to spare. Do yourself a favor and find a friend with a no-post two bay or large single bay so you can leave it as you work on it.

Have Andy fit a set of removable door tops, and remove the drivers side door top before parking in the garage.

Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
'79,

May I ask an ignorant/dumb question?

Just how narrow are single car garages over there??? :stunned:

Larry - I will measure the width when I'm in the UK next.

Scott - good idea removable door tops would be excellent.
Would it be possible for Andy to make them hinged in some way? It would be a pain in the ass to take the door top off every time I went out! If you guys at Tornado could work a hinged door top, that would be a very good solution.

I'm building mine in a single garage, my garage is 2m59 at it's narrowest...

Having actually now tried fitting the doors I'm seriously contemplating fitting a wide ~41in high door in the outside wall of the garage...

Keith

There is no standard garage size - they can vary from house to house according to the room available. As our house plot sizes are way smaller than the average US plot, you can bet our garages will be similarly downsized but, for the purposes of comparison, you could reckon that an average UK single garage would be in the order of 2.4 metres x 4.8 metres or 8' x 16' in American.

Is a garage ever big enough? I have a good size three car garage... Lawn tractor, push mower, snow blower, compressor, welder, benches, tool boxes and a 14' kayak separating the 40 and the Cobra. Mumma is always complaining that there isn't enough room for her Subaru! Naaaah... they are never big enough!

When it comes to the GT, no matter how tight the garage is, we will always figure out a way to get in and out of it! That's just what we do for the privilege and sheer pleasure of owning one!
Garage_zps61c0a696.jpg

yes, it can be done - but you have to be very careful - - or "pull" it out / "push" it in by hand. photo is of the Sheik's garage & cars during his build - - he built both in this garage!

Dave

Attachments

• Pic00004.jpg
    Pic00004.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 272
Back