GT40 vs the Competition

Was just curious as to how it stacks up to todays supercars on the track.
Like,

Corvette
Vipers
R8
GTR

It has to be close lbs/hp for the average GT40, and lateral numbers must be in the 1.2 range I would think.

Anybody have track time examples? R&T just did their lightning laps for reference.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Original GT40 or Superformance/CAV/RCR? Against the original, braking performance will be the biggest difference IMHO. I ran VIR in my Cobra. The modern cars murdered me on braking, otherwise I was faster or equal to the Corvettes there.

I know this is no big deal but would it be better to compare a more modern version of the GT40 to modern track cars now? What about the 1700bhp Ford GT which holds the speed record 283mph. I know its curious to try and compare a 50 year old design to now. But if the newer versions are not faster, brake earlier, etc then there must be something wrong. I am not belittling your question just find it unfair given the age of an original.
Regards Allan

Original GT40 or Superformance/CAV/RCR? Against the original, braking performance will be the biggest difference IMHO. I ran VIR in my Cobra. The modern cars murdered me on braking, otherwise I was faster or equal to the Corvettes there.

I meant to the replicas.

Wouldn't the 1000lbs make up the difference?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Was just curious as to how it stacks up to todays supercars on the track.
Like,

Corvette
Vipers
R8
GTR

It has to be close lbs/hp for the average GT40, and lateral numbers must be in the 1.2 range I would think.

Anybody have track time examples? R&T just did their lightning laps for reference.

We have customers with 400 BHP GT40s.....and guys with 800 BHP cars! There are too many variables to make a proper comparison. Also define a "GT40"? A close replica like a Superformance? A GTD with Granada parts? An RCR with billet suspension?

But lets say there are few cars that are 50 that can still do what the GT40 does!

We have customers with 400 BHP GT40s.....and guys with 800 BHP cars! There are too many variables to make a proper comparison. Also define a "GT40"? A close replica like a Superformance? A GTD with Granada parts? An RCR with billet suspension?

But lets say there are few cars that are 50 that can still do what the GT40 does!

I guess there is alot of variables, cause even the 7+spd would make a difference.
It seems like most cars and replica package come with roughly 400hp, so that puts it at about 6lbs/hp. New C7 vette is about 7lbs/hp. Still too hard to bench race.

I would assume they woud out accelerate most.

Would need examples.

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
Over half of this depends on the pilot - the main thing I tell my customers about Cobras Daytona Coupes and GT40s ; all the software in *this* car is attached to the 'Nut holding the steering wheel.

The modern cars can out brake the 40 for sure - as there is no antilock and no 14" rotors

Steve

A GT40 replica will be as fast as you can afford to build it and go as fast as you can drive. If you have both the money and skill, then it's as fast as any analogue RWD car on most courses on most days. It's just a mid engined sports car with the basics right - what you do with that is what makes it fast or not.

Mine has been quicker than 430 Suderias, 458's, all manner of Porsches, R35 GT-R's, Modified Z06's, you name it. But it still get's beaten by something in most events I enter!

So if you asked how long is a piece of string, you might get a more straightforward answer.

"There's always someone cooler than you..." Ben Folds

Does abs make that much of a difference? I would think with all these aftermarket brakes and 1000+lb difference would be enough to level it out. I guess with the smaller wheels you're restricted on rotor size.

I've seen a Superformance with a 351 stroker (think it was about a 427...) on 17 inch wheels....on a 2.1 mile track with several 360's/430's, an F40, two new corvettes, a porsche turbo, a gallardo, and a diablo...among others. The Superformance was at the front of the pack for most of the session until locking up a wheel upon braking....then finished the session 3rd. I got the feeling the Superformance pilot was having to work really, really hard, but was able to keep up with (and pass) most of these other cars. This was a couple years ago, and is my only frame of reference for the competitiveness/speed of a good GT40 replica. Needless to say, I was impressed. The Superformance piloti was a long-time SCCA driver with several class wins in smaller displacement classes.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I would think brakes would always be the limiting factor. Maybe if they had CF rotors and matching calipers things would be different.

When ERA built my first GT40 had 15" wheels that limits the size of the brakes. The brakes were not power assisted and the engine was down in power (330ci). I ran at Road America and the Mustangs were faster and could go deep in the turns.

My second ERA the engine was a 409 with 17" wheel with bigger power assisted brakes. Race rubber etc. The car was a total different car and could run with modern cars at Poconos racetrack.

Back