GT40 Car Cover?

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I'm looking for a car cover for a CAV GT40. Like to get just a dust cover for when it's in the garage that is light with flannel on the underside. Any recommendations?

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I'm sure this has been asked a million times but I'm looking for a car cover for a CAV GT40. Like to get just a dust cover for when it's in the garage that is light with flannel on the underside. Any recommendations?

Despite the fact I have an ERA I purchased the Superformance one and very pleased with it.

Julian

Dwight

RCR GT 40 Gulf Livery 347 Eight Stack injection
would a cover that fit a Mita work?

I use a $50 cover from Summit for my Cobra and it works great. In the rain and wind, over night, no problems.

Dwight

I'm going to call California Car Covers tomorrow as although they don't show Ford GT40 as a pick in their site I have seen several pics of GT40s with their covers/logo on them so assume they do make them.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
would a cover that fit a Mita work?

I use a $50 cover from Summit for my Cobra and it works great. In the rain and wind, over night, no problems.

Dwight

I have heard one for a corvette works well
If the mirrors are on the door the existing pockets are even in the right place

Ian

I ordered one today from California Car Covers. They do not show it on their site but they do have the 1965/1966 Ford GT40 Mach I pattern. I got the Dustop Cover which comes in gray or beige with soft liner. Cost was $215.95 no tax and free shipping. They do not keep them in stock so he said it will be 3 to 4 weeks. I ordered so if anyone wants this cover call them as they probably will make them all together and maybe get them out faster if they had 3 or 4 orders.

California Car Covers; 1-800-423-5525

Chuck

Supporter
Got mine from ERA even though it's an RCR. Might see if they have any on the shelf since they no longer sell a GT 40.

FWIW Superformance offers (or at least used to offer) tailored GT40 car covers among their accessories. But I really like California Car Cover products and that price sure seems right.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I purhcased a top of the range all weather California Car cover for my son's Mustang and was really disappointed in it. Despite being a tailored cover it constantly blew off with the slightest wind, the material was not soft and it didn't hug the car like other covers I have, leading to micro scratches.

Just my experience,
Julian

I purhcased a top of the range all weather California Car cover for my son's Mustang and was really disappointed in it. Despite being a tailored cover it constantly blew off with the slightest wind, the material was not soft and it didn't hug the car like other covers I have, leading to micro scratches.

Just my experience,
Julian

I never liked any of the all weather covers from any of the companies as they never seemed to be flexible or soft. I have had a few California dust covers in the past and have been pleased with them. I guess the problem with a GT40 is limited ownership so a lot of the cover companies do not make a cover for it.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Most of these sold in USA are actually made by Covercraft no matter whose names are on them. FYI Covercraft has an outlet on their website. I just bought two covers for Mercedes-Benzes that were in their outlet. They fit perfectly. They were sixty percent off. They may have a GT40 cover in there someplace. (the ones I bought were the NOAH material and the pair of them cost less than $225 delivered to me.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I have had good luck with the NOAH covers. They are sturdy and shed water well. I have not used the Weathershield ones, but people complain about them blowing off- evidently the material is very light, although it does turn water well. The NOAH ones don't blow off.

Of course, we are supposed to get forty knot winds later today, so when I get home I may find one of the covers in a tree someplace. I'll let you all know :)

Got my California Car Cover last week and it is very nice. They said I wouldn't get it until the 3rd or 4th week of January when I ordered it in late December so very surprised I got and email it was shipped and the next day it was here in Dallas....... Even beat the car which is scheduled to arrive this Wednesday........

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Got my California Car Cover last week and it is very nice. They said I wouldn't get it until the 3rd or 4th week of January when I ordered it in late December so very surprised I got and email it was shipped and the next day it was here in Dallas....... Even beat the car which is scheduled to arrive this Wednesday........

Gary, You probably got mine. Haha. I ordered two GT40 covers 6 weeks ago but they're holding them, I hope, until I show up with my car to have them fit mirror pockets on them.

Calif Covers covers have always worked well for me. For the first time I recently ordered the Customweave for a Porsche and absolutly love it (indoor only). Super soft inside, stretch fit makes the car look very sexy (needless to say that's the two I ordered this time for the '40 as well).

The Superweave has always been my favorite, beads off water in light rain, folds up small and tidy, easy to handle, super light weight slippery material. Because it's so light weight it doesn't micro scratch, IMO.

Tim

Here you go, Gary ... California Car Cover in the Superweave fabric! This stuff does not have a flannel lining, so that means the car needs to be wiped down first :sad: Somehow, I missed that detail, but I like how tight it packs. Shipped direct from Covercraft in Okla. But California Car Cover has the correct pattern number for a 65 Ford GT40 MkI. Covercraft didn't seem to be able to call the pattern up.

Second photo is the one CAV sends with the car. Dust cover for indoor use. It's made from one of Kate Upton's brassieres, I think. Very supple :D

Sam

Attachments

• IMG_0683_med.JPG
    IMG_0683_med.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_0691_med.JPG
    IMG_0691_med.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 736

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Sam, the cover that fits your CAV appears similar to the Cal Cover "Customweave".

Warning: I just received my Customweave and they don't fit, they come up about 4" short over the top rear spoiler. I've always ordered the Superweave and they fit fine so I'm returning the Customweave to be corrected.

Gary, which material is your Cal Cover?

Tim

Back