Help requested with build information/details for my CAV GTD40

I had posted this on the "welcome" section, and realized perhaps it was not the right place, so I am re-posting it here. I apologize for the duplication.

I bought a GT40 off Ebay about 10-12 years ago or so, and sort of "parked it" in the shop as I was being busy with work and other racing efforts. I am trying to find out what I can about it's build, as I am thinking of turning it into a safe but fun NASA TT track car. As I am getting older, I want to dust it off, prep it, and enjoy the car. So far, it has only 2000 miles on it from new.

The car is painted in Gulf Blue and Orange, and I bought it from a seller in New York. I currently live in Paradise Valley, AZ. Here is the car ID information:

Welded Front ID plate, right side, over pedal box: CAV0109300 438S BL AU66

Bronze Rear ID plate, on firewall behind the driver seat:
GTD40
Manufactured by Cape Advanced Vehicles
Cape Town, Rep of South Africa
Model Type CAV 010930
Vin No. 0438S BL AU66
Assembled by Jean Fourie

I emailed Johann Keyser, and he was able to give me the following information, which I think is a good start: "Steve, your car is not a CAV GT, but a GTD that was built/assembled by CAV for GTD in Australia. CAV did built a few GTD cars for GTD in Australia, they are NOT CAV GT cars. The GTD has a tube frame chassis that is covered with sheet metal...The cars were built in the CAV factory in South Africa for GTD in Australia. I would guess the build year was 2001/2002. Unfortunately I do not have any more information regarding the GTD cars."

Here is a link to a folder with some of the images:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10358...94306784491153

I am looking for history, build manuals, sales brochures, documentation, etc. I would also appreciate any insights on what the common improvements on these particular cars (i.e., any needed safety upgrades etc.). Any help, private messages, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

I searched the board quite a bit, and there is not a lot of detail on these particular tube-frame "CAV-built" GTD 40's. If there are threads you can point me to, please advise.

I can upload more pictures if that would be helpful.

Happy New Year all, and thanks so much!

Steve from Paradise Valley, AZ.

Howard Jones

Supporter
You can help yourself quite a bit with adding the State you are in to you profile. Should you be nearby you would certainly be welcome to come by anytime and have a look at my GTD. If you could post some pictures with the front and rear body opened up. A quick look at things like suspension pieces and chassis layout will quickly determine exactly what you have.

If you do indeed have a GTD then I might be able to provide quite a bit of documentation to you. But sending you GTD docs if you have a CAV would be a waste of time at FEDEX.

I was not aware that CAV build some GTD at the end of the GTD run. But I am of the understanding that GTD did morph into CAV with a change in ownership of GTD. Maybe you have a rare missing link. Pictures would be quite interesting as the link you posted didn't work for me.

Pat

Supporter
Steve, you have a PM from me as well.

Howard, several years ago a fellow named Andre Loubser posted an early history of CAV. It makes for interesting reading.
Initially CAV was to be a small operation supplying two body/chassis kits per month to GTD. GTD was pleased with the quality and pricing and they were engaged by supplying an American dealer with many more near fully-built cars. I'm not sure who that was, possibly Bill Andrews or Bob Lacey.
According to his account, CAV production began in May, 2000 and Andre departed the scene. As a parting effort, he wrote a 65 page build manual and a 45 page owners manual.
He went on to say that CAV produced 17 space frame GT40s (GTDs?) and then subsequently went on to produce a stainless steel monocoque version.

Last edited:
Thanks Howard. I have upgraded my profile to reflect that I live in Arizona (I had that in the post as well....). It appears from the feedback I am getting that I am indeed the owner of a CAV-built GTD40. It has several "changes" to the GTD classic build that were incorporated by CAV, and I am trying to sort through that to figure out what exactly is the same and what is not. The car is going up on jack stands as soon as we make room in the race shop, and will be getting disassembled and then reassembled/modified as a still street legal track car. I will be posting pictures as that occurs.

In the meantime, I am looking for any specific information that is out there on the forum for my serial number/car, as the knowledge base there way more than mine.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

I thought I would add that the transmission case bears the following:

VW 016 301 211D
West Germany
8 (or B???) DE 5 / 2135

If this is the basic 016, then I may be close to or over its limits, and anticipate at some point (if/when the 016 blows up) looking for a race prepped 01E replacement.

Back