New Quaife Quantum transaxle info

Mike Pass

Supporter
I called in on the Quaife stand at the NEC Autosport Show to get the latest info on the new Quantum range of gearboxes, especially the ones relevant to GT40 applications and get some pics. I had a good chat with Mike Quaife and Mick who were kind enough to show me the boxes and explain the finer points of their design and manufacture. The products are so new that a lot of the info is not yet on the website but they gave me a copy of the brochure and I will scan in the relevant pages and post them after this initial info.
This is a new range of boxes and they use new gearsets and parts which are modular across the range. Only a few of them are relevant to GT40 and mid engine users so I have concentrated on these.
They are sequential and are supplied with a carbon fibre lever and cable change setup, gear indicator and oil temp readout but the change can be automated with flappy paddles and actuators. The gears sets can be straight cut of helical and either 6 speed or 8 speed. The power rating is either up to 650hp or up to 1,000hp depending on configuration. They can be supplied with an adaptor plate which is drilled for both Ford and Chevvy. As you can see the output shafts are quite high up so the box and engine can be placed low down in the chassis.
They are in the process of being productionised and they have built 6 of the 6 speed high power transaxles. In the scans which follow this post you can see the tech info on ratios power handling and weight. The final cost should be around £11,250 for the 1,000hp 6 speed version but is not yet confirmed. The weight of this box is around 85Kg. More info scanned from the brochure to follow.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Quaife 6 speed trans.jpg
    Quaife 6 speed trans.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 1,375
  • Quaife 6spd diff side.jpg
    Quaife 6spd diff side.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Quaife 6 spd bellhousing.jpg
    Quaife 6 spd bellhousing.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 1,129
  • Quaife straight cut gearset.jpg
    Quaife straight cut gearset.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Quaife helical gearset.jpg
    Quaife helical gearset.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,087

Mike Pass

Supporter
Here is the scanned info from the Quaife brochure with some facts about power handling, ratios etc. This info is not yet on the Quaife website.
The Linden Green Southern GT40 built by Martin Gough and used by Quaife to develop and test the transaxle as seen in the testing video is now for sale with either the new sequential box or the originally fitted ZFQ box for £75,000. Form an orderly queue.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Quaife Quantum info.jpg
    Quaife Quantum info.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 962
  • Quaife QBM20Q.jpg
    Quaife QBM20Q.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 1,654
  • Quaife Quantum QBM20Q data.jpg
    Quaife Quantum QBM20Q data.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 1,124
  • Quaife Quantum range specs.jpg
    Quaife Quantum range specs.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 858

Glenn M

Supporter
Thanks for posting all that Mike. I couldn't make the show this year so that's very interesting.

It was good to see Martins old beast on the video. That's a hell of a car, and a well sorted one too, for that money IMHO.

Glenn

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
A bit on the stiff pricing side when converting to USD, but a doggoned good looking gear box. I wondered how they managed a CF Bellhousing until I took another look at your second pic. Quite ingenious actually...

That would look great in a new carbon fiber RCR GTR bolted to a supercharged coyote!

Need a test dummy here in the states? :thumbsup:

Mike Pass

Supporter
As there are quite a few options with these new gearboxes from Quaife I only mentioned the ones most relevant to use in GT40s. There is however another box in the range which may help some builders who have chosen engines which are longer than the usual suspects. The length of the transmission can get a little critical in these cases so this variant will be of interest.
In the QBM15Q box the gearset has been turned through 90 degrees by using bevel gears so that it is transverse. This box is therefore much shorter. The power handling is up to 650hp.
I have posted the pages from the brochure which give the dimensions and some pics of the box which I took on the Quaife stand at the Autosport show.
This shorter box might solve a length problem for some builders.
Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• Quaife transverse gearset.jpg
    Quaife transverse gearset.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Quaife transverse gearset box.jpg
    Quaife transverse gearset box.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 1,214
  • Quaife Quantum QBM15Q transverse gearset.jpg
    Quaife Quantum QBM15Q transverse gearset.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 831
  • Quaife Quantum QBM15Q transverse gearset info.jpg
    Quaife Quantum QBM15Q transverse gearset info.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 883
Hi!

I talked to them 2 months ago when I ordered my ZFQ. They said they need to have a racing series to standardize on the new 6-speed before taking it into production.

So I guess we got to wait a while longer before it becomes available

Back