Le Mans Clock and Lights

HILLY

Supporter
Hi All,
I am looking for some help in identifying the details (OEM, Model etc) of the original 60's lights used at Le Mans as per the attached photo.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 804-dutray-le-mans-clock-lg.jpg
    804-dutray-le-mans-clock-lg.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 1,707
From another forum:

In France it was easy to have any name on a dial clock or on a dial watch; It is only a money business. Today it is always possible but more and more unusual. If you have the cash , you can order a clock with your name on the dial ( Danny Boy, for example! ). Exactly like the Le Mans clock. But of course today it will be not the same design .
The only reason to do that is to make a advertising for a shop, a store or a name ( here the jewellery of Mr Dutray ) .

A long time ago, a man Mr Dutray , the owner of a jewellery ( locate in Le Mans ) supplied a clock for the Le Mans track put into the starting line ( to keep time of the race ). But Mr Dutray was not the maker of this clock. He just ordered it in a factory ( perhaps in Switzerland or in France ) and asked to have his name on the dial. He certainly paid-in surplus for that. His goal was to introduce his name in the mind of the 24 hours spectators all over the world, like anything advertising..
Therefore Dutray is not a manufacturer’s brand name.
Today the jewellery’shop of Mr Dutray continue to exist. But there are a new manager ( I suppose Mr Dutray is died ) but the name of the shop has not change.It is still Dutray S.A. and still the same location in downtown of Le Mans.
There are another habit in France, when a shop owner sell his shop, the new owner can keep the name of the previous owner, above all if the shop has a good reputation, seemingly it was the case of Dutray .

In my opinion, this clock, today can be in a second hand trade shop , antique shop or simply at the wall of a somebody home.
In my sense the true question is : how many clocks Mr Dutray had sold like this one if he ordered several at the factory . Because if he ordered several at the factory therefore he sold several and you have a chance to get one somewhere (antique store, e.bay, for example ).

I did a phone call to the Dutray S.A. shop and that I say here is that the new team management said me. But apparently they don’t know more about this clock.

That is the address of the store and the telephone number:
DUTRAY S.A
Place Saint Nicolas
72000 Le Mans (France)
Tel : 02 43 24 47 81

That’s all I know !!

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Are you planning to have a piece of Le Mans history in your garage? It would make for a very interesting 'crack open a tin and I will tell you a story...'

I believe the original Dutray clock was moved to the Prost Kart Cicuit when the new pit garages were built and a new Rolex clock was installed on the new gantry.

The old clock was stolen from the Kart circuit and hasn't been seen since.

I believe the original Dutray clock was moved to the Prost Kart Cicuit when the new pit garages were built and a new Rolex clock was installed on the new gantry.

The old clock was stolen from the Kart circuit and hasn't been seen since.

Exact ; Stolen in the 80's
all this is explained on the link given in my first post ......

HILLY

Supporter
Gents, Thank you for your responses.
Yes the plan is to replicate the clock and light gantry as per my original photo.
I agree with Marcus and I believe that the clock OEM was a company called ATO and the clock used at Le Mans was a version of their train station platform clocks.
I have been lucky enough to procure one of these clocks which will be perfect for the job. What I now require is any details, photo's etc of the lights. Presuming that they were from a French OEM I have trolled through any likely sources. I did start looking for traffic lights of the era but they do look somewhat like stage or theatre lights of some description. If anyone has any suggestions, leads or even close up and detailed photo's I would be grateful if you could pass on the info.
Michel, I would be interested in any period memorabilia that you may be able to source.
Thanks again.

Hello
You can also try to enter this forum site and open athread asking for help and details ; all members are quite Le mans 24h fans !!
Autodiva - Connexion

I found another pic for different lights on this forum on a thread

If you are interested beside real parts ( as various wheel nuts from Gr6 and GrC car ; drivers suits , rear Lmp wing) I have also something very rare is in scale 1/43 for showdisplay all road panels existing on early 70's lemans circuit !
( watch pic ) PM for more infos

Attachments

• 81382_1964_224_64LM_39.jpeg
    81382_1964_224_64LM_39.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,731
  • IMG_1696.JPG
    IMG_1696.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 666
Back